Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello! I have fruit of the earth aloe vera gel here... but I want to be even MORE natural and just use aloe vera straight from the plant :) Do you know where I could buy one and approximately how much they cost? thank you

Home depot!!!!!!! Or equivilant (Rona?).

Small ones should be $2-3 each, great big ones should be about $7-8 each.

From the plant it's very messy, I prefer using the FOTE stuff ;)

They are cheap. They have them as houseplants at grocery stores and at most home depot/lowes type places - although the ones i've seen for sale have been kinda tiny and pitiful. Given good conditions (strong light, proper watering) they make a nice symmetrical rosette and will eventually start budding off pups.

I have a nice pup from an established plant my mom gave me a while back - they are very tolerant of a wide range of temps and dryness, but they can't take being cool and damp - they'll rot. Cool and dry they can go a bit past freezing temps. A coworker gave me another pup from a plant he was saving from the termite exterminator tent. I took it home and didn't have any soil for it (apartment dweller), so i just wedged it upright in the space bertween the walls of two empty nested pots. It's been like that for a few months. Grew some epiphytic roots about 3 inches long, and i went out the other day and was astonished to find the crazy thing had sent up a bloom spike! Great plants. :clap:

Natural aloe vera also stains yellow - not on skin (I think) but on fabric and some surfaces. Be careful!

I got one in the plant section at Walmart... they've got the big fat ones... at least they do here. I only paid like $5-7 for it, can't remember exactly but it wasn't much.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Hmm so I don't need to water it? yay! lol

They do need water occasionally. They're sort of cactus type things.

Okay so I just got to keep it dry and at normal temp. does it need sunlight?

Indirect is best for young plants, older ones can take direct just fine:

http://freealoeplant.spaces.live.com/

I think you can buy gallon sized jugs of aloe vera juice at natural food stores. I'm not positively sure, but I think you can drink it. It's mainly used for external use, though.

Hmm so I don't need to water it? yay! lol

Aloes are succulents (not cactus - all cacti are succulents, but most succulents are not cacti) - they store water in the leaves. When you get a new plant, feel it's leaves - they will be very firm. As they dehydrate, the leaves will have more "give" when you gently press on them, and old leaves will visibly deflate. When they develop that "give" in the leaf, that's when they need water. But if you water too often, the leaves will burst due to excess water. When you water, make sure to thoroughly drench the pot, don't just pour in a little bit of water. Then, allow the plant to dry again until the leaves tell you that it needs another drink.

Aloes can survive long periods of no water, but that's not the way to get the plant to produce lots of the gel in the leaves. ;) If you are keeping it indoors it needs to be in the brightest window you've got.