Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oceanmist

what to do about chronic anxiety attacks...

ive been really stressed out about my skin since the beginning of summer and slowly slowly the stress built up and ive been getting a lot of anxiety attacks that makes my chest feel really tight. usually it would only be if i looked or thought about my skin, but it has come to a point when i'll just be sitting at my desk and doing some work and then i'll get these tights pains across my chest that will just last for hours. i'll try and go relax by watching some tv or something but it won't go away. i don't know what to do anymore cuz it's been so many months, and i've almost become "used" to having these pains, its terrible! when i get them at night, i have a lot of trouble sleeping as well.

i wish they would stop because i know the stress is making my skin worse.

any help would be much appreciated.

Yes im kind of like you. I soo dont look forward going to bed, i get scared. Cuz at night sometimes i find it hard to sleep, cuz my chest sort of gets tight and palpitations and i worry alot. ''Sometimes when i wake up in the morning, my chest feels really heavy!, and i am worrying about something (and i usually wake early like 6.00am or 6.30 am), this happens straight after i wake up, most mornings. Then it like lasts 10 seconds, i try to relax, then i feel better. Last night, i woke up like 2.30 am with that chest feeling again. tried to relax then felt better. then when i try to go to sleep again, just when i am about to fall asleep, i wake up startled with the chest feeling again, then i have to try and go sleep again. Its been happening this last couple of weeks now. i have to start watching it now. also i have a history of high blood pressure too.... One night i had heart palpitations. But just happened once this wk. Just when i am about to fall asleep, i wake startled with a thumping heart. but it hasnt come again. Just the chest feelings/heaviness/hurt, in the morning. And i hate it! When i wake up, im thinking what the fu*k am i worrying about!!! The feeling is very hard to explain, but i know its a feeling of worry on anxiety.....'' ('' '' i wrote this in the mental/breakdown thread in ealry Nov.) UPDATE: the morning worries have gone away, though at night i still worry and get the experiences i described above. Chest pains are still occuring.)

Hope you get better. ASAP i recommend getting your blood pressure checked. PLEASE very important.

I think an important thing to do before bed is to get your mind off yourself. Read a book. Read something upliftineg, there are tons of great motivational types of books out there. I recently have heard of a guy named James Allen he lived int he 1800's. HE has several books that really he didn't write, but they were journals he wrote about life, tehy were later published after his death. here are a couple of quotes.

A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.

Good thoughts bear good fruit, bad thoughts bear bad fruit.

Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound.

I've had this occur. All I can say is you have to stop, take deep breaths, have some peace and quiet, and just tell yourself to calm down and that its not so bad, which is true.

I had a really bad panic attack one night when i was lying in bed not able to go to sleep, but i calmed myself down and just took deep breaths and tried to go in a relaxed state of peace, which worked. You gotta slow your life down, take it day by day. If you are having a bad skin day, just stop, relax, and say its only for today. don't think about tomorrow, just think about today, slow down, and relax. your acne will be gone soon enough.

It sounds awfully like a panic disorder. My mum has it. It is a type of chemical imbalance; she has to take a pill every few days. I have had panic attacks too, and have headed them off by praying REALLY hard and trying to bombard my mind with postive thoughts. Call your doc, though. Better to have it fixed than to have to go through the chest tightness and anxiety. The doc may just recommend a therapist to get you through it if it is just a phase (mine tends to be just a phase). Your thoughts are kind of compounding and building up like a giant snowball, and then you have a panic attack. There's lots of info on this topic online, too (but I'm sure you have probably already looked). Good luck!

Guest ilovepancakes

I agree with SchilleVille, a doctor will help you out. They can recommend non meds solutions.

I'm panic attack prone, too. My doctor said I wasn't dying and sent me on my way. Not having insurance blows. I thinking knowing that it's a panic attack (and not a heart attack) makes it easier. You just have to force yourself to take slower breaths and try to rationalize what's happening. "I am not dying. I'm freaking out. I am not in physical danger. I need to relax." Takes a couple minutes but it works for me. The first few times I was really convinced I had a major health issue. I had no idea what was going on. It was pretty fucking scary. Knowing your triggers can make it easier or harder because anticipating a reaction can cause one or help you head it off. Mine are major life changes (and I turn my entire life upside down pretty regularly), potentially being late, being alone (that's why I always have someone here or on the phone or talking to me online) and webmd.

WELLBUTRIN (XL). Ask your doctor for it. You should stop getting attacks within 3-6 weeks!