Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sean88

Allergy to 2.5% BP?

Ok so I think I may be allergic to BP. No matter the amount I use I get a very intense burning/ stinging sensation, blotchiness and rash like bumps. This morning (3rd day of using this stuff) it hurt so bad I had to wash my face with cold water until it felt better. Here are pics of the redness (gets so red it was almost purple at one point) :

IPB Image

IPB Image

I dont think I will continue with BP :( I was truly hoping I wouldn't have to use anti-biotics or accutane again :( What else should I try?

Sean what brand are you using?

Some brands made my face hurt so bad that I coudn't sleep and then I used others and they didn't burn or hurt at all.

I really don't think its the BP, I think it might be other ingredients in the BP that you're using.

Sean what brand are you using?

Some brands made my face hurt so bad that I coudn't sleep and then I used others and they didn't burn or hurt at all.

I really don't think its the BP, I think it might be other ingredients in the BP that you're using.

Well there is only 1 brand here that sells BP in the 2.5% form. Would it be ok to try a different brand with 5% BP?

hmmm there is a possibility that you ARE allergic to BP and therefore if you do buy a 5% cream please test it on a small area of your skin.

Give your skin a few days to calm down before you try it.

What brand do you use? where are you from?

Have you just finished accutane? that can make your skin more sensitive so that maybe the reason for the excess reaction.

sean88, your skin is awesome.

Why do you use BP for? I don't see any acnes.

Well the ro-accutane I went on stopped major acne (white heads etc) from forming. I am still getting break outs of papules despite my good diet and cleaning and moisturizing my face.

hmmm there is a possibility that you ARE allergic to BP and therefore if you do buy a 5% cream please test it on a small area of your skin.

Give your skin a few days to calm down before you try it.

What brand do you use? where are you from?

Have you just finished accutane? that can make your skin more sensitive so that maybe the reason for the excess reaction.

I finished accutane 2 months ago. It _might_ be the cause for my sensitivity to the BP. I reside in Auckland, New Zealand. I might order some of Dan's BP because it is alot cheaper than the cost of buying BP here.

I finished accutane 2 months ago. It _might_ be the cause for my sensitivity to the BP. I reside in Auckland, New Zealand . I might order some of Dan's BP because it is alot cheaper than the cost of buying BP here.

Go to The Body Shop, and buy their Tea Tree Oil (TTO).

I love it...it dries my pimples really fast (I leave it overnight), and I always see improvement the next day I wake up.

There is study that showed TTO is as effective as the 5% BP.

Like other members said here, BP prolongs the fading rate of redmarks after acnes, but TTO doesn't (from personal experience).

*ya, in NZ, there is only one brand of BP!

prolongs the fading rate of redmarks after acnes, but TTO doesn't (from personal experience).

Yip I have TTO. It works well on healing acne but not preventing it.

prolongs the fading rate of redmarks after acnes, but TTO doesn't (from personal experience).

ahh...

does BP prevent acnes?

ahh...

does BP prevent acnes?

I think thats why people use it :P

I am not sure eh. I think the best way to prevent acne is from DIET!

Anyway, stop using the BP, give your skin time to heal.

Have you considered using 100% Aloe Vera gel for your redness now?

*remember to wear sunscreen if you go out, it is SUMMER time in NZ!.

Good Luck!

ahh...

does BP prevent acnes?

if it didnt, then what would be the point of having it in the DKR?

oh HELLLLLLLLLLLL yeah, you are allergic!

You can probably get away with spot treating with BP, but it will just get worse if you try putting even a thin layer of BP on.

look into retin a, tea tree oil, SA, etc

i would recommend SA, because your skin is pretty good, and if you only get a few spots here and there, that should do the trick.

Alright, thanks guys. I'll try BP again in a few days using less of it, I'll let u know what happens. If again I get this reaction I'm going to have to try something else.

my skin had the same problem, only it seemed to get more allergic over time. i used to be able to just smear the stuff on. then my face started to get really dry, so i had to use a moisturizer. then it started to get red with scaly patches. then i started just leaving it on for ten minutes and washing it off. that only worked for awhile. i can still use it on my chin to prevent razor bumps and the outer part of my forehead when i started to get some closed comedones there. b5 has helped reduce what i need to do to my skin though.

good luck man.

Most of the redness is gone now. I may just keep using the BP at night and be a man and handle the intense pain.

IPB Image

sean88

your skin looks great :clap:

AGREED!

sean88, I think we should MEET...I wanna have your skin, well, at least you can help me to get my great skin back!

Well I have discovered something strange. I dont get as much stinging or redness if I dont apply moisturizer. I have tried 2 different brand moisturizers just now and they make my skin sting again. I think there is some sorta chemical reaction? taking place between the BP and something in the moisturizers. I just tested some BP on a small spot and I am getting no stinging and just a little redness :S

What are the moisturisers you're using Sean? It's possible that it could be a reaction.

Make sure you stay WELL away from your eyes, from the pics, the redness is way to close.

Regarding TTO, I never ever had success with it, personally it doesn't touch BP.

Regarding Body shop, it rocks, I love their products.

What are the moisturisers you're using Sean? It's possible that it could be a reaction.

Make sure you stay WELL away from your eyes, from the pics, the redness is way to close.

Regarding TTO, I never ever had success with it, personally it doesn't touch BP.

Regarding Body shop, it rocks, I love their products.

I am using cetaphil and I just tested Clean and Clear moisturizer aswell. Both make my skin sting if there is BP on it. It doesnt matter where on my face. Is there an alternative to moisturizer I can use to stop dryness?

Thanks so much for putting up a photo - I got exactly the same redness! I've made a few posts about it. I got severe swelling both yesterday and today too. (This morning my eyelids were swollen nearly shut!)

My skin is still really inflamed - exactly 48 hours after I applied bp.

The Cetaphil moisturizer also makes my face sting!

I'm not a moisturizer expert, but today I used Aveeno body lotion on my face. I was amazed. It still stung a little bit in the places where the bp really burned my skin, but otherwise it really helped the peeling and the pain.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that, but I'm glad you did so that we can empathize!

Oh, and quick note: The bp I used was the 2.5 Neutrogena stuff. A few years ago I used Proactiv and got the same reaction, so I think it's really just bp I'm allergic to.

One more quick note: I am positive I did not put the bp or the lotion that as close to my eyes as the redness shows on my face. It is possible that the allergic reaction just shows up there, even if the product did not actually touch the skin there.

Try putting a couple of drop of jojoba oil on your skin and massage it in 5 or 10 minutes before applying bp. I remember after I'd finished roaccutane the acne very slowly started coming back so you're right to start treating it now. If your skin doesn't get used to bp you may want to try topical antibiotics like clindamycin (Dalacin T) or erythromycin. There is the risk of bacterial resistance though. Also you never said what brand you are using. If it's Panoxyl then you should definitely change because that stuff is really irritating. A 5% cream would be better than that stuff.

I am going off this stuff! I tried apply cetaphil moisturizer again only to be greeted with intense stinging. No more chemicals for my skin. I've now got a rash all over my face. Time to try something else.