Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxxxxxx

Treatments for cysts?

Hey..Could someone just tell me the different treatments/options for cystic acne?? Not accutane or anything like that..I dont have it too bad..I was on Nicomide before, but now that Ive moved I cant get it here..Thanks :)

Guest molly_jean_comments

Come on..anyone..

I heard spironolactone is good. Last time I saw my dermatologist he said he would write me a prescription for it. I said I would rather try Yasmin birthcontrol pills. I am gonna try and schedule an appointment for next week or the week after.and see if he can write a prescription for the spiro; its supposed to help with the cystic acne and the weight gain of birthcontrol pills; thats what I read on line

I really don't think anything topical will help cysts. the quickest way to get rid of a cyst is to have it injected. I was prescribed nicomide but never used it, so i don't know how effective it is. if you are female you can try spiro or BC. other than that there isn't much else i can think of to use except antibiotics or accutane.

Topicals are a waste of your time, but birth control pills cleared my cysts right up. Of course, it's only temporary so you may want to consider accutane... my cysts started off being rather mild but before long they exploded into big ones and hit severe status. Some antibiotics work, they never did for me but they do work for others!

I don't think it's true that no topicals can clear up cystic acne. I've had it for a few years now (not very bad, just persistent and very resistant) and the only thing that has remotely cleared it up is a combination erythromycin/BP cream I use three times a day. Although I will admit that regular BP, Retin-A, and other topicals only aggravated the problem, oral antibiotics have done nothing for me.

Cysts are resistant to everything topical. Same with papules and nodules. You can try antibiotics but they dont help for those types of lesions, they are only good at preventing pustles - if at all. Accutane is the best option, particulary if it is persistant cystic acne. I dont have severe acne but i do get persistant cysts and nodules. One on my face at a time for over the past 2 years. Changed by BCP to Diane 35 - helped to reduce cysts but am looking into accutane for a permanent solution.

To be honest, if any of us had a great answer, we wouldn't be on this board searching for an ANSWER! (right?!) So, as it is, we all have different experiences with what works and what does not.

For my cysts, the best treatment is cortisone injections. NO topical antibiotic, retinoid, oral antibiotic, or BP/salicylic acid application did squat for these killer knots I get. But a shot directly into the cyst with a drop of cortisone really helps the swelling and redness go down...... it's painful for a second, and embarrassing to have to leave the derma. office with red/bloody spots on your face, but ice helps afterwards....and the cysts usually disappear within a few days after the shot.

It sucks that these things are SO hard to get rid of; I seem to get them in the same spots all the time. I suspect that the follicles below the skin are so blown out of shape from previous cysts that they're more prone to get infected again (just my own theory...) who knows!?

Good luck - - we all know how you feel.... Patti

P.S. - Nicomide didn't do anything for me - so if it worked for you, and you can somehow get it here, GO for it! :)