Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

Smokey bars

I HATE going to bars because of the smoke, I feel gross and dirty after I leave, the smoke like saturates my skin and hair... and I was wondering if it could cause me to break out. I have to go to a bar tonight for a friends b-day and I really dont want to go to the bar that he's going to.

I wouldn't worry about it...I'm a moderate smoker (1/2 pack per day) and I never notice any difference in the condition of my skin when I'm not smoking. Most bars are smoke free these days anyway...but I would suggest doing a detox after going to the bar. Drink lots of water and green tea..that might help rid you of the toxins you inhaled the previous night. Also try to take frequent fresh air breaks to go outside. Let your friends know that you are uncomfortable in a smoky environment and that you will be excusing yourself from time to time. Hope I could help, and have a happy thanksgiving!

I HATE going to bars because of the smoke, I feel gross and dirty after I leave, the smoke like saturates my skin and hair... and I was wondering if it could cause me to break out. I have to go to a bar tonight for a friends b-day and I really dont want to go to the bar that he's going to.

I feel the same way when in a smokey place. I always shower and change my clothes after coming home from those places. I've always felt it makes my skin a little more oily from those places thus giving me a higher chance to breakout, but I'm not positive.

I have definitely noticed that being in smokey bars or whatever causes spots to appear which is why I always avoid them and if anyone asks "Do you mind if I smoke?" I always reply "Yes". That usually surprises them but it's best to be assertive.

I used to be a bartender and I didn't have acne then, I do now. But, the bar I worked at wasn't ever covered in a cloud of smoke - it was more upscale than say, a tavern. I would avoid them for the secondary smoke, not the acne :D

Thanks for the replies guys! I didnt end up going last night :( I just felt too down about my face... it's pretty icky right now haha, and I didnt want to risk going to the bar and making it work. Jess, I actually live in Calgary, my nickname is tdot haha my names Taryn, my friends liek to call me tdot though for some reason haha. Calgary's new smoke free law starts this january thank god!! Then maybe I will go out more... I cannot stand smelling like smoke when I go to bed and half the time I'm too tired to take a shower and wash my hair. My friends all think I'm crazy for not wanting to go to bars and stand around to inhale second hand smoke all night... they also think I'm crazy for giving up diary and eating healthy, they keep saying to me "we're young!! live you life!!!" and it just makes me upset because YES I DO want to live my young life to the fullest but I also want to be healthy and acne free. Before I got acne I was a different person... carefree, ate whatever I wanted went to the bar alsmot every night... ahem slept around a little :redface:, and now I am NONE of those things... it makes me proud in a way that I am so much more mature, but it also makes me sad that I have acne and I cant do anythign about it :(. Hahah sorry guys didnt mean to go into this huge detailed rant, just havign one of those days I guess.

I don't think the smoke will cause you to breakout, however the not getting to bed until the early AM might. I don't care for the smell of smoke, the burning eyes, the itchy skin, or the having to take a shower the second I get home. Smoke is one of those things a health conscious person can't stand, and smokers always seem to think you're nuts when you don't want to be around it.

dont really know what difference smoking makes on acne (I dont smoke) but smoking bans are the best ever!! we've had one in Ireland a year and a half now and its great not coming home stinking of smoke!!

sorry you had a bad day tdot, but sure theres nothing wrong with eating healthy and looking after yourself. dont mind your friends, I think its human nature to question people who do things different to the socially accepted norms!

isn't there a law against smokin in bars? i know they don't follow them in some bars in rural areas but its pretty strict in toronto.

but i say no.