Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright so I've been using Duac (5% BP, 1% clindamycine) for about three weeks, and it's been working pretty well. Having applied the Duac fairly generously on problem areas every night, I'm now down to about one spot a week (pretty much papules exclusively). Hopefully I will be completely clear from here on. Now, I'm planning to start using Differin aswell, and I'm hoping that the initial breakout will be pretty mild because of the antibiotic.

The problem is that I have no idea how to use the Differin, since my doctor doesn't know anything about it. My problem areas are basically the areas around my mouth and nose, and my forehead. These areas are the ones I've been using Duac on, so I'm planning to restrict applying Differin to them as well.

While the skin on my forehead and around my nose is pretty tough (I can use a lot of BP without going flaky), the area around my mouth is pretty sensitive, and is already kind of dried out from the winter and Duac.

So how much Differin should I apply? Should I ramp up the dosage for a period of time to prevent dry skin?

I'm thinking I should use the Duac in the mornings and Differin in the evenings, is this a good idea?

I'm also rather concerned of how the initial breakout will turn out. I'm hoping that since the Duac has pretty much cleared me up, there wont be too much of a breakout. My skin scars very easily in certain areas and I certainly don't want any big papules or cysts. What do you people think? I also had a cyst about a month ago. It vanished after a few days, but I can still feel it beneath the skin. Will it return?

Hey!

I used Differin a couple years ago. I really liked the result. I had a bunch of small pimples on my forhead and it seemed to really help clear it up.

What to do is take a pea sized amount of differin and put it on the tip of your finger. Then lightly touch it around your face, so there are a few teeny dots. Maybe 3 on your forehead, two on each cheek and one on your chin. Know what i mean? Anyway, dont use more than a pea sized amount or it will really dry it out. I didnt really have an IB from it if i rememeber correctly, i guess it's just different for everyone.

Blend the little dots into your skin and only use it once a day before bed. Its definantly a good idea to use the one medication in the morning and differin at night. I dont know anytihng about Duac but if its a good day time medication then thats great. It should take a few weeks to work so be patient. I hope it works for you as well! =D

hi there....i've been on differin and duac for 3+ weeks now. i use differin at night, and definitely follow stevie lee's instructions...that's the exact way to use differin. don't use it in the daytime because i hear that the sunlight would affect it. wash your face at night, moisturize, then wait 30 minutes before applying the differin all over your face. then in the daytime, use duac to cover affected areas. i've experienced a minor breakout from differin but i hear it's typical because it's supposed to draw out all the zits underneath your skin. differin is used for preventative so it will clear up your skin in the long run. i hear it takes 8-12 weeks for it to show good results, so i'm sticking with it. just keep doing what you're doing. good luck! :D

I've had great results with differin, clindamycin and minocycline. It's stopped pimples in their tracks but has left quite a lot of redmarks that I don't know how long are going to stick around.

However its been really good to me so good luck to you as well.

yup me 2, battling with the redmarks and i hate to say its a battle i think im losing :(. the bp during the day is slowing hte healing like mad.

Thanks for the replies! I still have a few questions left though:

Should I apply the Differin just on the areas where I get outbreaks or all over my face?

And is ramping up the dosage over a period a time to prevent dry skin a good idea? If so for how long should I ramp it up?

Thanks for the replies! I still have a few questions left though:

Should I apply the Differin just on the areas where I get outbreaks or all over my face?

And is ramping up the dosage over a period a time to prevent dry skin a good idea? If so for how long should I ramp it up?

I've been apply differin on the areas where I get outbreaks (forehead, mouth, chin, and lower cheeks). I don't put any on my sides since I don't breakout in that area. Yes, ramp up the dosage over a period of time to prevent dry skin. It is a VERY good idea..especially since it is getting cold..I don't know about you but my skin is drier during late fall and winter. how long it depends...you are the only one who can read your skin...this is what I did..I am on week 4.

1st week: every two days...not every other day..every 2 days. (Ex: start on Monday...next with be on Thursday...following will be on Sunday....

2nd week: every other day

3rd week: every day..

(If you see your skin flaking a bit lower dosage)

My face is kind of dry now..so I lowered the dosage to every other day. I don't want it to make my face to dry that it start to flake and the flakes clog my pores and then...more acne...cycle goes over again. :cry: I am being as gentle as possible. For me, if I get to aggressive I feel it may step me back a week or so..and I have to start all over.

Good Luck!

Morning:

Wash with Proactiv cleanser 2.5% Benzyme (wait 1 min. b4 washing)

Mositurize with Bobbi Brown Moisturizer/ Cetaphil Daily Mositurizer (Alternate..depending on condition of skin)

Apply Bobbi Brown Oil-Free Foundation

Apply Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish Power

Night:

Wash with Cetaphil Daily Cleanser

Apply Differin (Will skip a day if skin start getting dry)

Apply Cetaphil Daily Mositurizer