Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bb69

Is this because of Accutane?

Hey everyone, so I've been on roaccutane for about 3 & a half months, everything's going well (basically clear) except about 2 months in to it i started getting sores/cracks on the corners of my mouth. Sometimes theres only one on one corner and sometimes on both, but there's ALWAYS at least one. They sometimes really hurt :(

I searched online & read that this can sometimes be a vit B2 defficiency, so I started taking a 'performance' multivitamin that has 30 mg of vit b2 (but no vit a) which is more than the RDI, and this has helped a little bit but they're still always there.

I've used pawpaw ointment and blistex on my lips but they haven't seemed to help. I dunno what to do, they look gross and they really hurt sometimes.

Any suggestions?

Yah, I have something similar, though a little bit milder than what you're describing.

Try looking into Aquaphor, which is great for lips and even severely dry facial skin too. It'll make you look really shiny, like you missed with chapstick big time, so it might only be good to use it when you're alone.

Eww that happened to me in the end of my first month on 40mg, i didnt even expect it!

I just went to brush my teeth and as soon as i opened my mouth, it felt like a deep paper cut while the corner of my mouth split. It went away within a week of constantly applying lip balm. Thank god, that chit hurts.

Yep, I had the same thing and I went to my chemist and asked his advice. What he recommended was a silicone based hand cream, I think the one I got was called barrier cream or something. Anyways I applied that to the corners of my mouth frequently and within a few days it went away. Now whenever I feel it coming on, I’ll apply it and it gets fixed. No more nasty cracked mouth corners for me!

I don't think we have aquaphor in Aust so I'll go to a chemist & ask what is good. Thanks for your help guys.

yuppers, got the cracks on both sides within the first few weeks....

I started taking vit E, and then later like the others have mentioned, I put my lip stuff right into the cracks and did this several times a day. I also found it useful to keep something by my bed and put it on right before sleeping and right when waking up!

hah, yah if your lips are getting chapped, accutane isn't working, so consider it a good sign. If you don't have aquaphor i find blistex, medicated lip ointment is good, if applied every 20 minutes lol.

hah, yah if your lips are getting chapped, accutane isn't working, so consider it a good sign. If you don't have aquaphor i find blistex, medicated lip ointment is good, if applied every 20 minutes lol.

I think you ment if your lips aren'tchapped, accutane isn't working.... but I think we know what you mean ;)

OH boy do I have a solution for you...those cracks suck so bad. especially when you wake up in the morning. go to your local health food store, ie vitamin cottage, whole foods, wild oats, etc. and get a pill bottle of lysine, its in the amino acids section. take a couple of those pills with water, with or without food, and i promise the cracks will go away within a couple of days.

Hey everyone, so I've been on roaccutane for about 3 & a half months, everything's going well (basically clear) except about 2 months in to it i started getting sores/cracks on the corners of my mouth. Sometimes theres only one on one corner and sometimes on both, but there's ALWAYS at least one. They sometimes really hurt :(

I searched online & read that this can sometimes be a vit B2 defficiency, so I started taking a 'performance' multivitamin that has 30 mg of vit b2 (but no vit a) which is more than the RDI, and this has helped a little bit but they're still always there.

I've used pawpaw ointment and blistex on my lips but they haven't seemed to help. I dunno what to do, they look gross and they really hurt sometimes.

Any suggestions?

HATE THEM! Every morning I go to brush my teeth and forget about the cracks until I open my mouth. YOUCH! I do find that picking off the scab and putting Cortibalm or some kind of chapstick helps.

I am going to up my B vits, too. One thing on my bloodwork indicated that I might be low in B6. It's just that I haven't found a good B vit that I don't burp up or that doesn't leave a sour taste. Any suggestions?

Platinum

OH boy do I have a solution for you...those cracks suck so bad. especially when you wake up in the morning. go to your local health food store, ie vitamin cottage, whole foods, wild oats, etc. and get a pill bottle of lysine, its in the amino acids section. take a couple of those pills with water, with or without food, and i promise the cracks will go away within a couple of days.

The cracks go away in a couple of days anyways. Does the lysine keep them away?

Any suggestions?

HATE THEM! Every morning I go to brush my teeth and forget about the cracks until I open my mouth. YOUCH! I do find that picking off the scab and putting Cortibalm or some kind of chapstick helps.

I am going to up my B vits, too. One thing on my bloodwork indicated that I might be low in B6. It's just that I haven't found a good B vit that I don't burp up or that doesn't leave a sour taste. Any suggestions?

Platinum

The cracks go away in a couple of days anyways. Does the lysine keep them away?

For me it kept them away and i havent had to take the pills since.

I don't think we have aquaphor in Aust so I'll go to a chemist & ask what is good. Thanks for your help guys.

do you have Vaseline? it's pretty much the same thing.

also try dr. dan's cortibalm. i ordered it on line. it is wonderful. i use a thick layer of aquaphor before i go to sleep and the cortibalm during the day and my lips feel completely normal.

Thanks very much for your help guys. I went to the chemist and he suggested betadine because he thought it might be a little infected because it's slightly red, I told him that it's red because it's chapped but he said to try it anyway. So I did and now they're worse lol. So I'm going to try for these Lysine capsules & constantly put vaseline on my lips.

Ok a quick bump, thankyou kristen rae for the lysine suggestion, they've completely gone away! If anyone is having this problem I definitely recommend lysine suppliments