Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mourinho

beauty skin light

I have been using the dr.Kern beautyskin lamp for almost a month now, and it seems to have helped alot, im using it for 15 min twice a day. I know it takes 8 weeks to see good results, i just wonderd if anyone has had any good/bad results using this product. :think:

Anyone know anything about how long tubes last? Turns out my beauty skin was made in Aug of 2004 so its been sitting on a shelf for two years and three months before getting to my house. Would this affect intensity of the lights? Longevity? etc? The box was dirty on the top so this is no big surprise when we found the date - definately disappointing.

We put cardboard inserts into the goggles to stop tempation to look at the light when it was on.

M W S

Guest ~Wolfy~

Anyone know anything about how long tubes last? Turns out my beauty skin was made in Aug of 2004 so its been sitting on a shelf for two years and three months before getting to my house. Would this affect intensity of the lights? Longevity? etc?

No, perfectly fine.

The lights last a couple of hundred hours use or more; a few years use. They wear out, (the phosphor degrades with use) they don't age (within reason, I wouldn't guarantee it would still work in 10-20 years!) And when they wear out, they mostly just get dimmer, you can compensate by using it for longer.

We put cardboard inserts into the goggles to stop tempation to look at the light when it was on. This change made my daughter willing to try it for two minutes last night.

If you want to, you could paint some swimming goggles with white or metallic paint or just wrap them in silver foil. That would give you a complete block. The light is perfectly safe with goggles. Provided you can't see violet light your eyes are perfectly safe.

You would get something like snow blindness without the goggles, momentary exposures are no problem.

That's what the goggle are for, the visible, bright, violet light used is a bit too close to ultraviolet to be safe for your eyes and it would damage a pigment in your retina- skin doesn't have the same pigment so there's no problem at all for your skin. But it's just far enough away from ultraviolet that you won't get a tan or skin aging; and that's why the treatment is a good one- the bugs hate it, skin loves it.

Guest ~Wolfy~

I tried it and found my skin tingling after 5 minutes - but I am fair skinned/blue-eyed. Anyone else have a tingling feeling?

M W S

Yes, I had that slightly, but it goes after a few days. I'm not sure whether it's the P.Acnes dying, the red light stimulating the skin or just the light heating up the skin slightly and stimulating blood flow.

Update:

I watched from behind the light and noticed.......

a) the light does not reach all areas of her face with equal intensity, her temples definately get shortchanged. I'll switch her to left/right exposure in about a week when she's more used to all this change.

b) the light is intense enough that it reveals what is about to come to the surface - things that our naked eye does not see totally. eg: I knew she has problem areas around her hairline/temples, so I expected the light to hightlight them....what I didn't expect was that the light showed how much bigger the actual spots were, and that there were more then my naked eye could see throughout her face. :(

c) the loudness of the timer is a must for our daughter - the sound keeps her sitting there. She often reaches for the timer to see how much is left.

d) She's breaking out but the pimples are being resolved quickly. eg: I was disheartened to see a fresh whithead on the end of her nose yesterday morning before school, then was amazed when I got home from work to find it was gone and there was very little redness. :D Even if she secretly picked it at school there would have been more redness then what I saw.

The cyst on her cheek and earlier pimples are resolving but they were much larger then the one on her nose so, we'll see how long it takes....

e) her skin is starting to look less dry without the P Activ :angel:

f) She's starting to take a more active roll in caring for her face.

My hopes for this light are modest... given the severity of acne within her immediate family members, I'll be happy if the light a) delays the major onset and then b) keeps it down a notch. Anything above that will make me wildly happy.

MWS

Have you checked into changing her diet? My family does not have acne problems generally, but people in my family have developed type 2 diabetes and my brother has celiac disease where he can't digest gluten.

In fact I may have some degree of wheat or gluten intolerance and have never fully known it. Anyway, when I went to a low GI diet (paleo diet) I felt much better and although my acne has not cleared (yet) all the zits are very small and seem to be under control with no treatment.

Now having said that - I should also mention that red wine has a very bad effect on me beyond just the little alcohol from two glasses over the course of an evening. I'm not sure why, but its unfortunate to have to stay away from it. Well Zinfandel at least. I will have to systematically test all the other varieties.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Update:

It's four days since my last post, 12 days since we got the Beauty Light and today my beautiful daughter went to school with supple clear skin. :D

MWS

It's still really early days though. She's practically guaranteed to breakout in the next few weeks or so. Breakouts are going to continue out till week 12, and even beyond, although they should become much less frequent and resolve more quickly, much as you're seeing right now.

It's important to manage her expectations, the light gives an average improvement of 75%; but there's always that 25% or so.

Guest ~Wolfy~

just wondering if in doing it for a shorterr time than supposed to if that allows the bacteria to gain resistance...bacteria is smarter than we think

So far as I know no research has been done to find out how easy it is for the P.Acnes bacteria to evolve around blue light treatment.

It's theoretically possible in a number of ways.

How easy or likely it would be I cannot say.

Some bacteria are incredibly resourceful- living bacteria was found around nuclear reactors under attrocious radiation conditions, so it's not inconceivable that bacteria could develop tolerance to singlet oxygen or the bacteria could pump the relavant porphyrin out or something.

Typically though, you're trying to eradicate the bacteria and blue light is good at that. Provided you eradicate it, it cannot evolve.

hiya

how old is ur daughter? if her acne is pretty severe or if you or yr husband have a history of acne would u ever consider accutane for your daughter? (depending on her age) im not sure if theres already been posts about it sorry just read yr recent thread thats all but it could save her so much heartache if she could go through her teens without having to deal with acne. not sure what that disease is but wish you and yr daughter the best of luck when u go to the doctors

hiya

how old is ur daughter? if her acne is pretty severe or if you or yr husband have a history of acne would u ever consider accutane for your daughter? (depending on her age) im not sure if theres already been posts about it sorry just read yr recent thread thats all but it could save her so much heartache if she could go through her teens without having to deal with acne. not sure what that disease is but wish you and yr daughter the best of luck when u go to the doctors

Hi Lucy,

She's 12 and until I purchased the light she was using P Active successfuly. I chose to switch to the light because of long-term costs of purchasing PActive and to see if her acne could be controled using a method that was simpler for her at this age. Since we have received the light I've posted some of the stumbling blocks used with a young'un so others can make their own decisions. Unfortunately since we've had the light my daughters acne has progressed quite quickly which is leaving me puzzled. :think: I'm wondering if something else is going on.........we'll talk to the doctor about all this...I think t's time.

Yesterday my husband found a great deal on Nike swim goggles so I spray painted them only to find the spray paint would not stick to the plastic (damn that good quality plastic!) So..... I used the tinfoil and found 2 layers works great. The Nike have a nice soft spongy rim which sits on the cheeks and are balanced nicely - definately an improvement in comfort level over the hard goggles that come with the machine. The only drawback is that they cover more area.

MWS

That's unfortunate about your daughter's condition. Had she been using the light regularly for a few weeks? I'm wondering if this is similar to what happened to me with the Acnelamp.

Guest ~Wolfy~
Sleepovers are a problem with acne and youn'uns. 1) You can't bring the light with you ....and...... 2) My daughter is embarassed to spend time washing/treating her face infront of the other girls.

Actually, that's a big advantage of the B/R light. It doesn't matter if you miss a day, provided you make the time up, the P.Acnes bugs still get dead. I saw one study where they only treated twice a week, with more intense lamps for 20 minutes or so with great results.

Still, doesn't sound like your daughter is using the lamp; primarily because she's scared of it.

I'm not sure what P Active is , but if she's on Proactiv, you could well consider stopping it and sticking her on Dan's regimen, AFAIK it's better and far cheaper.

I don't think you should mix and match treatments either. It might work, but most people are much better off sticking to one treatment or other.

Taking her to the docs is a good idea too though; they might give her some antibiotics.

But more than anything, you should ask her what she wants to do. She may not want to do anything though; but if she doesn't want to do anything, part of growing up is understanding that choices have consequences. Provided her acne isn't scarring it ideally should be her choice.

Guest ~Wolfy~
She was using the ProAciv sucessfully before the light and it's introduction seems to have turned the rhythm upside down.

Thanks for ur posts, which i have read intently.

Can you just clarify for me,;

how long was she using treatment for?

What week she started to notice an improvement in her condition?/

U say she broke out, how long till those symptoms subsided?

I had a major breakout following two weeks of light tretment, however i too believe i over used the light, since backing off from them abit and just minimising treatment to once daily for 5minutes on each acne area (i use a hand held device from acnestar.co.uk) symptoms have somewhat calmed down.

I am going to persist with the treatment for the whole two months.

Currently i am in week 3/4.

I do have more spots than when i started, i am hoping this is just the purging process, which will eventually lead to at least substantial clarity in my skin condition.

Guest ~Wolfy~

FWIW, there isn't no known purging process with these lights.

I recommend everyone using blue/red light treatment to follow the instructions precisely, and not to skimp on the time unless you have problems- an acne breakout is not really a problem; even if it is a bit worse than you would normally get, you should not deviate from the instructions unless it's clearly a reaction to the light (for example mild sunburn symptoms.)

It would be nice to think that people would just start light treatment and breakouts would stop in the first 2-3 weeks. That's not what happened to me at all, I continued to have breakouts throughout the 3 months of my treatment, but the breakouts became slowly smaller, the spots flatter and healed up far more quickly; and my pores shrank and blackheads and whiteheads reduced. I could only see any positive changes at all after 6 weeks of very consistent use, other people suddenly clear as late as 12 weeks and have their best skin at 14 weeks.

Also blue/red light treatment does indeed use bright lights. But to put this in context, the amount of light is a lot less than 1/3 the amount of light in direct sunlight. So sunbathers get much more light than this. Blue/red light treatment came out of analysing the effects of sunbathing on acne, and this form of treatment is in a sense, basically the safest form of artificial 'sunbathing' anyone has come up with so far (and because its so safe you should not expect to tan, which is a sign of skin damage after all.)

Guest ~Wolfy~
I'm sorry Wolfy I think your wrong. This was not 'a bit worse'. Before using the light my idea of a major breakout for her was 12 pimples with the occational cyst - this was way more then that.... like I said.... they were all basically the same and some itchy in spots... that's not an acne breakout - that's a reaction.

I really dont think it will help with scars, u really need something stronger, for example laser treatment if u looking to sort out ur scars fast.