Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mangoblitz

Need help for makeup newbie!

[attachmentid=6784]Hi everyone! I know this sounds dumb, but I really need some make-up related help. I have never worn make-up in my entire life but with the holidays coming, the last thing I need is for my family to tell me I look like crap.

This year I vow to look great, but going into Sephora last week just freaked me out and I'm completely clueless when it comes to the make-up aisle in Walgreens. How does one get started? Is there a store that gives free makeovers in the San Francisco Bay area?

Any help would be great!

post-50709-1164244495_thumb.jpg

Let me start off by saying you are very pretty and don't look like you need any makeup! But, my sister used to be a makeup artist for MAC cosmetics, and they give free makeovers. They get girls coming in for prom all the time. There are several in the Bay area: http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/door...amp;submit=FIND

Good luck, it will be a lot of fun, and MAC has awesome makeup products!!!

Try Bobby Brown (you can find them at Dillards). They too, give free makeovers. Their mission is to make your skin and makeup appear as natural as possible (also their makeup is very gentile and wont clog pores or aggravate your skin). I went to the Estee Lauder counter and asked for a natural coverup and they put this viscous paint-like substance on my face...naaasssty! I figure that when someone has sever acne (like me) it's kinda gross to cover it up completely and have your face looking bland and bumpy. I say neutralize your skin with a shear powder or coverup. Let your pimples and imperfection come through only a little bit. I'd rather people look at me and say, "Oh, she has acne." than, "Oh, she has acne (or something worse) and she's wearing way too much makeup." So that's my advice. Keep it natural and simple. Also, don't over do the eye makeup. People sometimes think that by putting more eye makeup on, they'll draw more attention to their eyes and less to their face. It actually does the opposite. Instead of the desired effect, it makes your face look unclean and draws a lot of attention to your whole face. So again keep it clean basic and simple. After your skin clears up, your makeup options are wide open. It's just important to be sinsitive to your complexion during this time. Good luck. Hope I didn't bore you to tears or overwhelm you.:wacko:

I used to be like you and well...still is lol , anyways um if you are suffering from acne like everyone here or most people on this site , then i would recommand something that is oil-free.

If you have red marks i would say use a green concealer , you can find it in walgreens , if you wanna hide some flaws on your skin then concealer is a good thing to use , get a concealer that is close to your skin color or 1-2 shades lighter , lighter is okay , darker is a no no lol

Umm what else , do you like using liquid foundation? that will give covarage if you want , you can choose whichever brand , but i would prefer using Almay healing blemishes make up line , they have concealer , liquid and powder make up and it helps to control the shine if you have oily skin , very good stuff...i love it <3

Bronzers or blushes? hmm you can do that too , i use Bare Essencials mineral veil , kinda like a very light bronzer and gives a natrual color , you can look at the mieral stuff , i think it should be more natural if you have active acne (you dont wanna make your acne worse by using make up )

Here is Almay site , www.almay.com and www.physiciansformula.com , that has the green concealer , so check it out =)

Revlon has good concealer that heals blemishes as well , if you wanna use that , i use it and it covers pretty well and stays on all day , Almay is a good make up too and lasts all day as well.

Hope that helps.

hi mangoblitz! ahh..welcome to the world of makeup...i've been addicted to makeup for years (since college and i'm 27 now). when i first started, i was just like you too...not knowing what different things did...but all you have to do is ask...don't be shy...go to makeup counters, whether at nordstroms or macys or sephora...but don't feel pressured to buy everything they try to sell you or else you'll go broke. just buy what you need, the bare essentials. my recommendation is to either go to sephora or nordstroms. i grew up in SF too so all you have to do is go to union square - both sephora and nordstroms are there. since you have acne prone skin (like most of us) make sure you tell the make up artist upfront your concerns...whether it's oily skin, acne prone, or whatever. that way, the makeup artist can decide what to use on you...like oil free and non irritating products. i heard that LORAC makes very gentle makeup because the founder used to have problem skin. i'm currently using a laura mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer which i really like because it's not as heavy as foundation but still helps even out my skin. i then use a loose setting powder on top of it. make sure you get one that's oil free and doesn't contain corn starch (it's supposedly really bad for your skin). you can also use a concealer to hide redness/blemishes. i think someone mentioned MAC and they're good too...they have the best colors!!! just make sure you get a professional to help you so she can match your color. remember, don't get intimidated...you're the customer. if they seem snooty, go to another counter or department store. make sure you're comfortable. good luck! let me know if you have any questions :D

[attachmentid=6784]Hi everyone! I know this sounds dumb, but I really need some make-up related help. I have never worn make-up in my entire life but with the holidays coming, the last thing I need is for my family to tell me I look like crap.

This year I vow to look great, but going into Sephora last week just freaked me out and I'm completely clueless when it comes to the make-up aisle in Walgreens. How does one get started? Is there a store that gives free makeovers in the San Francisco Bay area?

Any help would be great!

If you dont like sephora, then go to the macys in downtown