Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pimplypear

Bart Stupak....the congressman who started all this nonsense

check out his website. don't you love it when people with no medical or scientific training make laws about medicine? This is the guy who's son killed himself on accutane, so obviously the accutane is at fault. He is on a personal crusade against accutane.

my personal favorite is this: "For 22 years we have seen the horrific effects this drug has had on women and children." What, that millions of women finally have the self confidence to feel attractive enough to date, have friends, and go out and enjoy their life?

i know, this guy is an idiot. i'm sure if he payed any attention to his son he would notice he was depressed.

I agree. I understand he lost a child. He does have valid points, but abolishing Accutane entirely will do nothing but exacerbate the situation.

People always feel the need to blame. In this particular mans case he has the power to make a big issue out of it. It's also one of the side affects that is warned about regarding tane.

He may be wrong, but is just doing what he thinks is right.

ya know this is just more proof lawmakers congressman and women can get things done!

only if they want to that is...

the fact that accutane had been Rx'd for years before this one death and nothing had been done about it makes me mad, Why? because why did it take that one person to off himself inorder to change the way its prescribed? its because congress dont give a **** unless its something that effects them this is just another way the government officials (in a way) abuse there potential on stupid stufflike this, i bet that congress man didnt give a rats ass who it was rx'd to until after his son died, then he gets all huffy puffy over it its bad medicine bla bla bla no offense but why did you wait so long if this is SUCH a bad medicine for people to be taking why did you wait? why because he didnt care

no offense i feel sorry he lost his sone but thats the truth its helped millions of millions of people flawlessly (well you know what i mean by "flawlessly") and only and ONLY UNTIL this guys son dies (and probably could have been provented had he paid atention like my parents are my parents only give me 10 days worth at a time and keep asking if im doing ok on it any side effects etc, but then again they might not have asked me all thsoe questions if we didnt have to go through iPledge but who knows no way to tell for sure) but had he paid attention (and like he said its a dangerous drug) so if it was dangerous why not ask your kid every now and then "how ya feeling kiddo?" might sound stupid but it might have saved alot of lifes including his sons now were waisting good hard earned tax payers money on iPledge when people who cannot get pregnant still have to use it (waisting money) but some good has come from it like no births while on tane have happened so it has prooven good for that

I wonder how many people committed suicide because of their acne.

That's an excellent question. Obviously this mans contention is that the depression was caused by the Accutane. I know when I was on Accutane I went from being an easy going laid back guy to being one pissed off ****** ******. So from personal experience it does toy with a persons mood.

it hasn't changed my mood, yet anyway. if anything i am happier. i don't doubt that it is possible though. but i also think it has the potential to make people less depressed.

it hasn't changed my mood, yet anyway. if anything i am happier. i don't doubt that it is possible though. but i also think it has the potential to make people less depressed.

Psychological induced depression versus chemically induced depression. Obviously some people due go through depression or else everything you read about it woudln't list it as a potential side affect. For those that it doesn't cause theat side affect though, they will start feeling better cause 'they'll start to see that light at the end of the tunnel.

This is a tough and pretty inconclusive read, but might be interesting.

http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/05/01/31a.php

I have absolutely no doubt that some peoples' attitudes change for the worse while they are taking accutane, for instance, angry, depressed, exuberant, suicidal, etc. The REAL question is: How does this compare to a similar group of people who aren't taking accutane - controlled for age, social background, physical health, prior mental health issues, etc.

From what I've read, when mental changes are studied in a CONTROLLED study, there is no statistical difference between accutane users and the general population. Again, I am not saying it doesn't happen; what I'm saying is that the rate or incidence is no different than what's normally found in the population as a whole.

The problem is when people think that individual stories are somehow scientifically valid and apply to people in general. My cousin started eating green beans every day a few weeks before he committed suicide, therefore the green beans cause suicide and should be subject to an IPledgeBeans program. This is the difference between scientifically valid controlled studies which should be applied to medical practice and policy vs. "anecdotal" evidence which is interesting but generally should not affect medical practice and policies.

<rant on> This is the height of ignorance and is waaaay too common in our scientifically ignorant society and especially among political blow-hards and the people who vote for them. This goes for the politicians as well as those of us who make outrageous generalized claims on the forums based on our individual experiences <rant off>.

Not saying he is right, but let's at least cut the guy some slack, he lost a child to suicide.

Fair point. But that doesn't mean that he should make everyone else suffer for it.

From what I've read, when mental changes are studied in a CONTROLLED study, there is no statistical difference between accutane users and the general population.

I think some statistics show a drop in suicide rates amongst Accutane users when compared with the general population (and thats the general population - not the general population with severe acne...)