Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnnery

A word of warning about OVERDOING IT

For the past two or three weeks, I was doing really well on my regimen of Mandelic Acid/Retin-A Micro Gel/Exfol and Super CP Serums/Apple Cider Vinegar and Lactic Acid Peels, but this morning I woke up and my whole face (especially my chin) is red, blotchy, peeling and inflamed (AND IT HURTS!) I know that two nights ago I put on "a little extra" Retin-A, thinking it wouldn't hurt, and I believe that this is, in part, responsible for my face now looking like crap. Or maybe it was going outside for an hour yesterday afternoon, to rake leaves in my yard--sans sunscreen. (I HATE using sunscreen as I have never found one that didn't make my face look greasy.) I did a lactic acid peel this morning thinking it would get rid of the damage I saw, but it only made it worse!

To make a long story short, I really did it this time. And it figures. A member of my family is being feted Monday night by our town's Historical Society, which means I am going to have to go to the meeting with my face looking all red and blotchy and inflamed. I cannot believe this...something like this ALWAYS happens. And I have no one to blame but myself! In the past, it was zits...then for years after, it's been the damn scars...now, it's the scars underneath this red, peeling mess.

PLEASE, everyone...DON'T OVERDO YOUR SKIN CARE TREATMENTS. I had no idea this was going to happen. Besides my face physically hurting me right now I have to face the fact that I am going to be going to that meeting on Monday night feeling totally self-conscious and depressed over my own stupid self-indulgence!

If anyone has any suggestions on what I might be able to do to reduce the damage, I'd be very grateful if you would share them with me. I feel like a total ass.

Guest Tracy

Johnnery,

There ARE sunscreens out there that do not make your skin look greasy!! Please NEVER go outside while using Retin A without sunscreen!! I got most of my hyperpigmentation that way!!

Here are two sunscreens that I swear by. Both dry MATTE!! No oily residue whatsoever!!

FALLENE TOTAL BLOCK CLEAR SPF 65

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/branddeta...17.asp?AID=5017

I use this when I'm gonna be outside for a long period of time or in the summer because I live in So. Cal and the sun is BRUTAL here. This was created for people who have a medical condition that requires they remain totally protected from the sun's harmful rays (lupus, skin cancer, etc.) so it's the best, actually....but it's pricey. Worth it, tho, IMO

NATURE'S GATE SPORTBLOCK DRY SUNBLOCK LOTION SPF 30

http://www.discountblvd.com/225118.html

This is what I use during the winter months here in So Cal because I believe I need less protection then or maybe when I'm just running an errand. Because I NEVER go outside without sunscreen. PERIOD. This is reasonably priced (especially compared to the Total Block) and can usually be found in most health food stores. This also dries to a matte finish and feels like you have nothing on.

You may (probably will) do more harm than good if you use sun-sensitizing topicals on your skin and do not apply sunscreen. And then you'll have different problems (stubborn hyperpigmentation) to tackle once the acne's under control.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Tracy. I guess now is as good a time as any to make my weekly trek to the health food store. While I'm there, I'll pick up the Nature's Gate Sunscreen. I guess I'll buy some Cetaphil cleanser at the drug store, too; maybe that will help settle things down a bit. (I forget to mention before...I've been using a salicylic acid cleanser, too. My face must be in a state of advanced irritation! Stupid, stupid, stupid.)

Thanks again to you and to whomever else has any ideas.

try an ice pack on ur face for about 15 minutes

that should help take the inflamation down and reduce some redness

and maybe youd wanna try a green tinted moistrizer to hide the redness when u go to the meeting

Guest Tracy

Johnnery,

Do you have any emu oil?? That's very soothing and healing. Or maybe some Intense Gel from Puredeming.com......either one of those should help soothe and heal your skin. Also, sometimes fresh Aloe Vera from a plant with emu oil on top of that should help.

Guest Scorpioness

I'm sorry to hear about your face Johnnery....

A mask of fresh cucumber, cool chamomile compresses and/or a mask of oatmeal can help calm down imflamed, irritated skin. Those things won't do much for open wounds though. Manuka UMF18 sounds like the best option so far for those.

Take care,

Scorp

A handshake, a bear hug and my friendship to you both for your ideas. Thanks very much. And please, everybody, take it easy with your own regimens and don't go haywire and out of bounds with it like I did. For an intelligent guy, I did a real nutty thing with that Micro Gel!

Sorry you had that experience, but it's excellent advice that needs to be followed. Thanks so much for reminding people not to take it too far. Please let us know when you've healed.

I have OILY, OILY skin. But I realized I had to start wearing sunscreen or keep damaging my skin. I do have some acne scarring. An RN recommended "Applied Therapeutics" SPF 30. I got some from a PS office (I'm sure you can get off the internet). It is the only sunscreen I've ever found that doesn't make my skin oily. The PS has a son w/real oily skin also and that's the only one he uses. It goes on real lightweight, can't tell you're wearing it, and believe me, I don't add anything w/any oiliness to my skin at all. Good luck! DJ

I have read in some skin books that any sunscreen over spf 15, such as an spf 30 has added chemicals in it causing more skin irritation. So just use a 15+ but keep reapplying if you think it is becoming ineffective.

An update. I've been using Cetaphil cleanser and Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Healing cream and my skin is looking better. I'm also taking high doses of Quercetin/Vitamin C and MSM (with extra C) throughout the day and this morning I used the tape method (VERY gently) to get rid of some of the peeling skin on my chin. So, maybe my face will be okay for tomorrow evening. Thank you everybody and I will start using sunscreen this week.

Guest Tracy

Johnnery, Glad to hear your skin's improving!! Go easy on the taping, though.....k?

John - glad to hear it's getting better.

I have over done it on a few occassions - good post! and thanks for always thinking about others even in your own distress. You're a great guy!!

Thank you, Maya. For some reason, I have always been able to empathize with other people's feelings, and if I can prevent someone from making a move that can hurt them, I feel I owe it to them to speak up. I'm a writer by profession, so maybe that's where the empathy comes from. Anyway, it can also be a double-edged sword at times!

My skin is looking better (not great, but better) and I'll go to the meeting tonight, hopefully not looking too worse for the wear. I think what will help is if I keep telling myself it's not about ME, it's about the relative who is being honored and whom I am going there to support. So many times, some of us with face issues tend to hyper-focus on ourselves (well, at least I DO...frequently) and tonight I am going to make a determined effort NOT to do that. Let's see if it works... [-o<

Hey John - hope it all goes well for you tonight. biggrin.gif/

I read somewhere once that if you want to take the focus away from one part of your body - then you should highlight another part ... hmmm, OK, here are some suggestions:

Pink stilletoes

Red, curly clown wig

Attach loads of tin cans to your knees with string

I DARE you!!! =D> biggrin.gif =D>

OK - alternative option for the timid - Think this mantra non-stop "I am a great guy and even though my face is red, my personality and caring attitude shines through and makes everyone adore me!"

LOL!! I will definitely try that first suggestion, Maya, AND, if that fails, I'll use a strategy that I have wanted to try for years. I think it was on an old episode of The Brady Bunch, where someone said that if you're in an uncomfortable situation, just picture everyone around you, dressed only in their underwear and wearing a baby bonnet, and you'll laugh so hard inside you that there's no way you will stay down! In other words, if we see the ridiculousness in life--and there IS a lot of out there--it will help to minimize our own (often needless) "head trips". Can't wait to try that one! biggrin.gif

NOW - I want to know how your evening goes! He he.. let us know tomorrow K? and .... don't laugh too loud!

There were no big victories or triumphs for me at the meeting last night, but I did want to say that I went to it with a still-peeling and flaky chin and I got through the stares. I find it kind of humorous, actually, that people will stare at dry, flaky skin as if it is something they have never seen before! I mean, wouldn't a quick glance (acknowledgment) suffice? Two or three people I spoke to had their eyes fixed strictly on my chin when we were conversing. Hey, whatever happened to eye contact?? It didn't get to me too much, though. As I said before, it strikes me as kind of funny that there are still so many people out in the world today who don't seem to have a clue about good social skills. Now, I could have retaliated by staring back, but really, what good would that do? Last night I felt, "That's just the way some people are," and I moved past it. Anyway, today my skin is a lot less flaky! That figures, doesn't it? (Was that my trial by fire, perhaps? :-k )

Unfortunately, I DID forget to picture people wearing their underwear and baby bonnets, and Maya, I didn't wear the crazy garb you suggested, either. Ha...maybe NEXT TIME!! biggrin.gif

Guest Tracy

Glad to hear you got through it with your held held high. Good for you. Although I still think Maya's ideas would've helped immensly!! he he

Glad you got through the ordeal John.

I think people around me have got used to the fact that every few months, my face is just covered in scabs (from needling/subcision/excsision/TCA) - but it still makes me cringe inside.