Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jonny_boy

Low Carb, Protein High Diet...

Sure works for me. :dance::D

IMO Low Carb and High Protein is a disaster for the skin (and your health too)

What you want is Low Carb and High Fat

Oh no, high protein diets are definitely not healthy for you, I believe even curiousz and paba agree with that? You can only get so much protein before it starts to have negative effects, and it's not a reliable energy souce - so you're choices are to eat either a balanced macronutient diet, high carb / low fat, or high fat / low carb.

I'd strongly recommend against high carb / low fat unless you're an athlete, and a serious one at that. I think the majority of people eat too much of them - think of the guy that has oatmeal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and spaghetti for dinner yet sits on his ass all day - those unburnt carbs are causing a lot of damage inside of him. On the other hand, fats, though a debatable issue, are a safer form of energy intake because they don't promote blood sugar spike, and monounsaturated fats found in nuts, seeds and olive oil are heart-healthy / beneficial. Saturated fats are very controversial, with some saying animal fats are the devil, others saying they're essential to a good diet. Personally I think saturated animal fats probably aren't as bad as the media has made them out to be but certainly aren't health-essential, but in moderation are probably fine. Plant saturated fats like coconut oil, though, seem to be pretty healthy.

Anyways yeah, I'd definitely give a thumbs up to high fat / low carb. That's how I try to eat most of the time, with my fat coming from predominantly nuts, eggs, fermented dairy occassionally, and meat once in awhile, and my carbs coming from fruits, veggies and legumes and once in a while, grains.

I think it really depends on your metabolic type. However, many many people with acne are protein types, so they will benefit from a diet that has high fat, high to moderate protein and low carb.

Pretty much no one will achieve great health eating potatoes or grains, so everyone can safely cut those out.

But everyone is an individual, so you have to figure out what works best for you.

I'm more cautious about fish nowadays than red meat. In an ideal world fish would be plentiful and non polluted but the reality is that we've ruined most sources of fish. I used to rage against mercury in needles until I found out that the mercury is the kind we can process(Still not good though) and the mercury in a large peice of salmon can potentially have more mercury and other heavy metals than all those shots. Plus the mercury is the kind that messes us up more.

I don't know maybe just lead an active lifestyle and by doing that you will need nigh protein, carbs, and fat to stay healthy and then all you have to worry about is getting the right foods within each macronutrient and not worry about drastically cutting down one of the three.

That depends on how it is processed and the source. Some of the more expensive brands (They are rather pricy) look pretty good. I just wouldn't go down to walmart and get the cheapest bottle of cod liver oil and expect it to be any good or even that safe. If I needed vitamin A that badly I would just eat some Kale or Liver or something.

My friends were trying to argue with me about a low carb diet being good.

They said that you need carbs like bread and pasta, and I say that you dont need those type of carbs, you need carbs like veggies and fruits... Is that right?

Or does everyone need a little of the breads and pastas to be healthy?

My friends were trying to argue with me about a low carb diet being good.

They said that you need carbs like bread and pasta, and I say that you dont need those type of carbs, you need carbs like veggies and fruits... Is that right?

Or does everyone need a little of the breads and pastas to be healthy?

Only carbo types need a little bit of grains, and even then they only need small amounts. From what you've described of your reaction to foods in earlier posts, I would say you definitely are not a carbo type and are most likely mixed or even protein. Grains are always detrimental to mixed and protein types.