Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ya... i want it for a contraception pill and for my acne but will the derm just prescribe it there for you?

you might have to figure out which one will help you if you have hormonal acne. they are all different and one might work better for you than another......

it's really trial and error, but hopefully you'll find a good one on your first try.... keep in mind it might take 3-8 months for it to start helping with the acne.

your derm can prescribe it, or your regular doctor.

Hmm - I'm sure a derm is able to prescribe BC, but I got mine from a general practictioner. I fibbed and said I needed it to reduce cramping. :liar: If the derm gives you any hassle, you could consider that avenue. :D

My mom told me that you need to get a pelvic exam from a gyno to get b/c thats why I'm lost! haha So do you guys know? Thanks!

<3

That's true - but this doctor knew I'd been on the pill before, so he prescribed it, then had me come back a couple weeks later for a pelvic exam as a precaution. But yeah your Mom is absolutely right. Sorry I left that part out. :lol:

Well then... how can I derm prescribe it??? I don't think he does that kind of test? lol

<3

Well technically, a derm is a doctor....why don't you go find out and let us know. :lol:!!!

I started taking it for an isotretinoin course, but continued to take it afterwards because of it's positive effects on my menstration. Without BC i have really terrible cramps on the first couple days of my cycle - enough to keep me home from work puking if i didn't take a small handful of ibuprofin at the first sign that the storm was upon me. :redface:

With the right brand, my periods are perfectly predictable, my moods are stabilized. PMS is non-existant, i get no aching breasts or monthly bloating, and - best of all - i get no cramps . None. Zero. Zip. Nada. And hey, if it keeps my hormones more even so that my acne doesn't flare up easily after my successful course - well, what's not to love? :angel:

Ya... I've had my period since like 8th grade! And it sucks let me tell ya. :( But ya I have really bad cramps the first day and lately I've been taking like 2 500mg Tylenols and it hasn't been doing nething 4 me. Which sucks. So all I wanna do is sleep haha. But ya idk I'll figure it out!! I want b/c now just to get rid of my cramps haha. I don't get breast tenderness or nething like that they don't hurt I just get really bloated and cramps of course haha but thats my story and thanks for posting!

I thought that the pill makes you more emotional and messes with your hormones even more than not being on it is that true?

<3

Guest molly_jean_comments

Ya... I've had my period since like 8th grade! And it sucks let me tell ya. :( But ya I have really bad cramps the first day and lately I've been taking like 2 500mg Tylenols and it hasn't been doing nething 4 me. Which sucks. So all I wanna do is sleep haha. But ya idk I'll figure it out!! I want b/c now just to get rid of my cramps haha. I don't get breast tenderness or nething like that they don't hurt I just get really bloated and cramps of course haha but thats my story and thanks for posting!

I thought that the pill makes you more emotional and messes with your hormones even more than not being on it is that true?

<3

Yeah, I to started my period when I was thirteen! Ive been on yasmin before and it worked wonders. I went of it though because my periods were regular again. About the last four months the cycles have been irregular and very heavy. I am gonna start back on Yasmin and I recommend it. When I was on yasmin I literally had no acne at all, very very very light scarring :)

I'm on Yasmin right now, molly jeans comments, when did it start helping you? I'm into my 2nd month now. And i'm not sure whether my breakout has died down, or it's actually helping....

My esthetician told me hormonal acne is often around the chin, but i have mine on my two cheeks....hormonal acne often symmetrical....so even if you have a good side and a bad side, because they are happening in round about the same area, it could be hormonal....oh and really bad breakouts before period is another sign i think?

My mom told me that you need to get a pelvic exam from a gyno to get b/c thats why I'm lost! haha So do you guys know? Thanks!

<3

I think my gynecologist described it without the pelvic exam. What she did was just checking my weight, blood exam, touching my tummy and asking me questions (such as do you have diabetes?, family members who had heart attackts and all that).

After she got the blood results, she was able to prescribe the pill to me. I was a virgin so she didnt need to perform a pelvic exam. It all worked out well, I needed the pill because I was getting married, not for my acne. But it did wonders to my skin.

The first time I went on BC was for my acne...all it did was make it worse, but I think it was because it had too high of a level of certain hormones. I went off of BC and went on antibiotics for a few years, then went back on a different BC because I was planning to become sexually active. I am on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo now, I can't say it's working wonders for my skin but it certainly is not making it any worse as the last BC did. I also have very regular periods and no cramping. Generally, BC levels out your hormones, it does not screw them up worse than they already are.

When I was first prescribed BC it was through my general doc, I was a virgin and the reason was for acne, so I needed no pelvic exam. The second time when I asked for it for contraceptive reasons, I did have to endure a pelvic and breast exam (which were no fun, but I had had a pelvic before for an infection...still pinched like a sonofabitch though! LOL). So...if you're doing it for acne, you shouldn't need a pelvic. I am not sure if derms prescribe BC or not.

Good luck!

i didnt know in the US you had to go through all that!

here, you can go to your GP, just ask, then go pick it up...takes 10mins from not being on it, to taking it if you want.

or..if you dont like doctors, you can just turn up to a family planning clinic, and they'll put you on it!

im on Yasmin too (i didnt need to research, i told my GP it was for birth control, but also to try help my skin, and she suggested it)onn my second month..hasnt done anything for my skin at all...and i swear ive gained weight.:(

I was originally prescribed it before going off to college to help regulate cramping and periods. I didn't really have too much of an issue with either, but thought it was just one of those things you do. My periods are like clockwork now, down to the exact day and time for the most part. For most of the time I've been on the pill (over eight years) it's been for contraceptive purposes mostly. So far it's been working :) But I'm pretty good about backup methods anyway. I have had some moodiness and I was previously on a pill that I'm pretty sure broke me out. Now I'm in my second month of Ortho Tri-Cyclen so it's a little hard to say, but so far so good.

The pelvic exam is not just if you're sexually active, it's also to make sure you're reproductive organs are functioning correctly and there's nothing going awry, etc.

I'm on Yasmin right now, molly jeans comments, when did it start helping you? I'm into my 2nd month now. And i'm not sure whether my breakout has died down, or it's actually helping....

My esthetician told me hormonal acne is often around the chin, but i have mine on my two cheeks....hormonal acne often symmetrical....so even if you have a good side and a bad side, because they are happening in round about the same area, it could be hormonal....oh and really bad breakouts before period is another sign i think?

hmmm, Im not really sure when it started helping me because I havent been on it in awhile. I am gonna start it again when my next period starts. I went off of it because my periods were regular for a long time and suddenly (approximately four months ago) they started getting irregular again. It probably is helping not just died down. Yasmin is one of the best birthcontrol pills for hormonal acne if not the best. When I was on yasmin I literally had no more acne, no more pimples at all, and thank god no more cystic acne. Currently, my breakouts are around my jawline and all over my chin so I am positive it is hormonal. Yes, I am not sure either but I do think really bad breakouts before your period is another sign. However, I do know that almost all women tend to get more pimples the week before their period and during their period. Marashino, dont you just envy those people who have no acne at all :(

lately I've been taking like 2 500mg Tylenols and it hasn't been doing nething 4 me.

Tylenol won't do it. Ibuprofin (Advil) is where it's at. You can take 4 at a time of the standard strength to equal prescription strength with no issues, so long as you don't exceed the max daily dose, and you don't do this every day. Ask a nurse or doctor about it. You can also use Aleve, but you need to start with 2 (instead of the bottle labeling which says to take 1 and then take another if the pain doesn't respond), but i found that it wears off before you are allowed to take more, so i stuck with Advil. The liqui-gel type is more expensive, but worth it - that stuff works fast.

The pelvic exam is not just if you're sexually active, it's also to make sure you're reproductive organs are functioning correctly and there's nothing going awry, etc.

As i understand it, the new consensus is that the pelvic exam is unecessary unless you have symptoms that indicate that there may be something wrong. The clinics like Planned Parenthood have started to prescribe without the pelvic exam.

Just thought I'd contribute something about the moodswings/depression with bc pills...

My doctor said for example ortho tricyclen (I guess the dose is a little different from week to week?) is more likely to cause depression. I've also been reading and there are people who believe that the birth control causes a deficiency of vitamin B6, which could contribute to the depression. In clinical studies, the depression from BC improved in women who took vitamin B6.

Useful link: http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

Resource on the B6: http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/cam/hn-1268001.htm

<3

I just went to my dermatologist and told him I do not drive yet and that his office is more than an hour if i took public transportation; he said, "I do not usually do this, but I will write you a prescription for Yasmin."

As i understand it, the new consensus is that the pelvic exam is unecessary unless you have symptoms that indicate that there may be something wrong. The clinics like Planned Parenthood have started to prescribe without the pelvic exam.

Hmm, that's pretty interesting. I guess it makes sense. Though I have to say I'd rather be safe than sorry. My doc found a lump a few years ago that she wouldn't have detected if I hadn't gone through with the exam that year.

I read somewhere that pelvic exams should be done every two years (or one) once you are sexually active.

It is important to detect cancer to a very very great accuracy. So, if you detect it earlier, the better. That's why they recommend females to have it done every year or 2.