Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Me_23

Accutane - Generic Accutane question...

I've been taking Accutane for a few months.

I was on it for 6 months last year.

I went for a refill on a new prescription for this month at the pharmacy, and they gave me something that looked different.

I asked about it, and apparently it was some generic brand that started with a CL... Clariton, Clarittane.. ??

There was a C, L .. and possibly a Y in the name.

The pharmacist said it's all the same and just gave me regular Accutane which is what I've always been taking but said there was no difference.

I want to know a. what the other drug was called, and b. if that's true that there's no difference at all.

If so, why are there two brands to begin with?

Do they differ in cost?

Can anyone offer some more insight so I could figure out why my derm would've suddenly prescribed this, after giving me regular accutane for so long.

Do you think he consciously did this because he wanted me to take it... because it's the same thing and would cost me less... because he just wrote it out instinctively, maybe he just prescribed it to another client?

Why would he suddenly write a prescription for a new kind of accutane after having me take regular the accutane for 4 months?

I wonder if he did this purposefully.

it was probably claravis, they are all the same, the clarivis is cheaper but if insurance covers it, it probably doesn't make a difference.

maybe your derm did prescribe brand accutane and the pharmacy just filled it with claravis, they can make substitutions for generic drugs

I've been taking Accutane for a few months.

I was on it for 6 months last year.

I went for a refill on a new prescription for this month at the pharmacy, and they gave me something that looked different.

I asked about it, and apparently it was some generic brand that started with a CL... Clariton, Clarittane.. ??

There was a C, L .. and possibly a Y in the name.

The pharmacist said it's all the same and just gave me regular Accutane which is what I've always been taking but said there was no difference.

I want to know a. what the other drug was called, and b. if that's true that there's no difference at all.

If so, why are there two brands to begin with?

Do they differ in cost?

Can anyone offer some more insight so I could figure out why my derm would've suddenly prescribed this, after giving me regular accutane for so long.

Do you think he consciously did this because he wanted me to take it... because it's the same thing and would cost me less... because he just wrote it out instinctively, maybe he just prescribed it to another client?

Why would he suddenly write a prescription for a new kind of accutane after having me take regular the accutane for 4 months?

I wonder if he did this purposefully.

It was probably the generic Claravis. Opinions differ, but everything I've read leads me to believe that the generic versions of isotretinoin (the generic name of accutane) are all equivalent to the brand name accutane.

Why it was offered to you this time and not the others? I don't know, but two possible reasons are that the pharmacy did not carry the generic before and now they do, or that the doctor changed the way he wrote the prescription this time so that it allows generic substitution but the way it was written before did not allow substitutions.

I do not feel it is something to be concerned about. The generics are as good as the brand name (this is my opinion). You might just ask your doctor though. It would be reasonable to call him /her and just ask.