Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
krete77

1st cycle on accutane!! time to log

hey all,

well lets see, my name is ryan, im a 23/m, have had acne since i was 13-14 as best as i can remember.. always had the moderate acne, all the way through high school, up until i was 20.. i was on pretty much every kind of medication, including doxycycline (which i had an allergic reaction to), minocycline (cleared me up great!), tetracycline, plus all of the topicals.. anyways, i'm in the military, and i've had to do a two different cruises, and i was not on medication on either one of these, for the past 2-3 years actually, just using BP to help control it.. well, needless to say, earlier january this year, i have broken out so bad its definitely severe now, and i have got it really bad on my back also.. so, i went to the military dermatlogist (nice 4hr drive) and they immediately prescribed me acctuane, and let me take it home that day. thank god for free coverage because from what i hear it is very expensive to get all the lab tests and prescriptions payed off.. anyways, guess i'll leave it at that.. i'm very outgoing even with this crap i got on my face, and am fortunate enough to have gotten over my anxiety of talking and looking at people even when i have acne.. its tough, i know. i'm not holding any hope for this accutane, until i actually see some results.. so we'll see how it goes..Also, I just want to add that I am a fitness nut, and I DO take Whey protein shakes, and I do take NO explode..and so far, so good.. I drink a protein shake (just one) every day, and I take NO-explode whenever I hit the weights (no problems yet). (For those of you who are avid bodybuilders, etc) I also play basketball pretty intensely every day basically, so hopefully this accutane doesn't prevent me from doing this.

Anyways, on with the log shall we?? I'm going to start with day 5, since today is my day 5 and I was to lazy to start it at day 1 lol.

DAY 5

-------

So, I have somehow broken out with 2 huge pimples on my right side of my back, and one on my left. Also, on my right arm, I broke out with a pimple there also. They are all very sensitive, and hurt pretty bad. On

my face,I had a whitehead above my lip, one near my right sideburn, and one tiny little one next to the left side of my nose. At least they are all whiteheads, easy to take care of. However, I do have 2 cysts, one on each of my jawlines on each side of my face, that are going down, however dunno if its related to accutane or not. Too early to tell I think.

About to take dosage number 5 right now.

DAY 8

-------

Alrighty, not gonna keep on track every day unless something crazy happens that needs recording. Anyways, got a monster pimple on the very top of my hairline, but you can see it, its just an elevated skin pimple.. hurts but at least not very noticable.. and my hair can cover it anyways. also, i have noticed that my lips are starting to become a lot more chapped.. they have been the past 2 1/2 days actually.. so maybe somethings starting to happen :) we'll see.. anyways, got a new pimple under my lip on the left side, and also on behind my ear. my back broke out pretty bad, in about 5 different spots a few days ago, but they seem to be drying up quick.. i just hope they don't leave scars.. alrighty, thats all for now

hmm, im on my 5thh day

does initial breakout start this early. because i am not experiencing any drying just yet. (but i do have some new n big cyst popping up.

n ima doing 40mg 1 per day

n gdluck to u : )

DAY 9

-------

Well, NO new breakouts today..which is nice. And for once, my skin actually feels clean when I wash it with cetaphil, longer than 5 seconds lol. My lips are starting to become pretty chapped throughout the day, but nothing I can't handle.. actually, I'm glad its happenning because i can see that this medication is starting to work its way through my system. Also, my hands have been really dry to. Face seems to be looking a lot clearer, but by no means clear, I just mean I can actually sorta look at myself in the mirror and not be shunned by my own face..

And oh yea, I forgot to mention that I'm on 40mg x once a day also.

hmm, im on my 5thh day

does initial breakout start this early. because i am not experiencing any drying just yet. (but i do have some new n big cyst popping up.

n ima doing 40mg 1 per day

n gdluck to u : )

DAY 10

---------

Well, lets see..the breakouts that I had prior to today are sorta going down faster than normal. I had one new pimple on my right cheek..also one on the right side of my nose, right in the side of it, so its embarrasing.. also, had a HUGGGE breakout right above my left eyebrow, but you can't see it.. its like the skin is just sorta raised up, and u can see the pores.. but at least its not blatently red, like this one I got a few days ago that has only gotten bigger..which is on my right temple.. the one on my hairline is still there, but starting to go down.. wondering if this is the IB that everyone talks about, since I don't get this many big pimples all at once.. dunno.. kinda hard to tell. anyways, nothing obscure really...have had a few pounding headaches ,and I KNOW this is from accutane because I have never had headaches before like these. My lips seem to be chapping a little more, but it is getting cold out and it did snow yesterday and today, so I dunno if its the cold weather or the accutane.. too early to tell..

Anyways, I thought I would add that I am still lifting weights, and taking my NO Explode & Whey Protein shakes, while on accutane and have had no problems at all. Heres a little stats on me also, 182lbs, 5"11. Bench: 225lbs. I workout with pretty heavy weight at low reps, and so far so good.. the moment I start to feel any serious pain, I will stop and re-consider.. Just wanted to point this out since I have heard so many stories about accutane making your bones brittle, fragile, etc.. so, to anyone who reads this and cares, I'll also be updating my stats with weight liftin stuff, that way you can kinda see how it affects me on accutane.. at the gym about 5-6 days a week,mostly lifting and basketball.

:cool:

hEY bUD

I too trained when i was on Oratane.. It doesnt effect you in the begging, but at the end, you start noticing that you get tired quicker. Thats all. The joint pains are not too bad. It just feels like you stiff, and when you are on your feet for a long time, you may feel a bit of pains in your bones. Nothing to bad, not like the dry lips. Did anyone else get oily before they got dry???

DAY 12

--------

Alrighty, almost 2 weeks into it.. wow its gone by pretty fast.. umm lets see, got a few more breakouts and I'm really beginning to think that this is now the IB that's been talked about.. BUt its nothing too crazy , I've had much worse.. and the good thing, is, none of them are cysts which for me is amazing. anyways, my back still looks pretty bad, but its only on the shoulder areas and my upper higher back area.. i guess some wouldn't think its that bad but i think its awful. my face is turning a little redder i noticed as i just got done brushing my teeth. i'm forcin myself to look in the mirror everyday now whenever i brush and get int the shower to start looking for a difference. i must say that i haven't broken out with any new cysts along my jawline, which i consistently get and is a constance annoyance.

Also, noticed around my lower nose/upper lip region i have been having some flaking of the skin, and my lips are still a little chapped but still think its from the realllly cold weather we're getting up here in washington :confused:

As far as the working out, since our base shut down , we couldn't work for the past 2 days so today was my first time to the gym in 3 days! uggh, bad for me.. anywyas, i did a serious back workout, took 2 scoops of NO explode prior to the workout, did a really intense workout, with no pain/joint aches or problems, and came home and took a protein shake. haven't had any serious pains or brittle bones as far as i can tell. we'll see how i feel tomorrow morning. :dance:

DAY 15

--------

Alrighty, well past the two week mark. Hmm, no significant changes since the last time. I got two pimples on my neck, each on opposite sides , uggh, they are kind of annoying but I believe its due to shaving because I shaved my neck the other night and they are the same type of pimples.. i've actually been able to shave in front of the mirror with shaving cream now, been years since i've done that.. maybe its the psychological part of accutane, but im definitely looking at myself a lot more lately.. i've noticed that my pores are getting much larger around my nose area, and on my forehead. also, it looks like blackheads are coming out from my nose.. never really had em before, kinda weird. is this normal for accutane? my back acne still remains, but is calming down a bit. no serious side effects yet, very thankful for that. my lips get chapped a little bit here and there but nothing a little chapstick or vasoline can't take care of.

As far as working out is concerned, again I took 2 scoops of NO Explode & drank a protein shake the other day, and worked out my chest. the only weird thing I noticed is that my left arm felt a little tender at the end of the workout, and i never really experienced that sort of feeling before.. so i just took it easy, as i know accutane can weaken your bones and what not, but besides that, the supplements continue on without any significant problems. working out back today! :drool:

DAY 16

--------

Well, today i just jumped on the computer and haven't looked at my face yet, but i did get a new breakout on the top of my forehead where the hairline meets.. also, had my first nose bleed last night.. it was really really dry inside my nose, and i think i mighta scratched somethin inside, and thats why it bled. umm, skin hasn't been breaking out nearly as much as it used to , so i guess thats a good thing. still , face is pretty full of red marks, etc.. got a few pimples left that i hope dry up.. which they seem to be doing a lot quicker these days. my back remains the same.

Went to the gym yesterday and worked out my back. Took 2 scoops of NO explode prior to workout, no problems.. i will say that my left chest area , is a slight pain, and im not sure what it is.. im wondering if its extra sore from doing tons of pushups and benching the other day.. if its still there in a few days, i'm gonna have it checked out. besides that, all is well.. still playing basketball, no joint aches or nothing, woohoo!! :dance: (fingers crossed!!) :shifty:

DAY 19

--------

Well, my face seems to be getting a lot redder. Also, my lips have become chapped more often, and my skin around my nose area, and cheeks are getting very dry. I have 2 new breakouts on my left side of my face, right below my eye. The 2 breakouts on my hairline have gone down almost to nothing, and the one on my right side is still there but not as bad anymore. I broke out with a nice fat pimple on my right side, right near my ear lobe but its the clear types so you can't see it. Also, amazingly enough, i have yet to have a cyst breakout on my jawline, where i've been having them for the past year or so, they just seemed to have suddenly stopped..im pretty amazed actually. my back was looking pretty bad today with a new breakout on my right shoulder.. some days it looks great, others it looks horrible, hard to tell if anything is actually improving.

also, broke out with a new tiny pimple on my left side near my nose, almost a cyst type breakout but not quite.. it will probably go down tomorrow.. also had another one on my left cheek but probably due to shaving. i always get little ones after shaving.. since i only shave once a week or so.

Alrighty, overall, nothing to crazy but the jawline cysts are not returning and its actually nice to be able to turn my neck left or right without any pain.

DAY 23

--------

Well, a little over 3 weeks in.. some progress is actually being made here! I'm pretty impressed on how this medication is working.. very shocked actually, as nothing else has done what this stuff has done.. i'm a long ways away from being clear but dang, i would say im looking 50% than i was when i first started.. first of all, when i wash my face with just water now, my face actually feels like, how do i put this, like real skin? not all oily, and crappy feeling.. it feels like as if you were to wash your hands or something.. the breakouts are barely happening, just really little ones, and i have no had a cyst breakout in over 2 weeks. thats amazing since i used to get them every other week or so.. amazing. anyways, my face is getting a little redder,and now that my skin isnt breakin out , i can see my scars pretty badly now.. but im not to worried because i know once i get this acne taken care of i will try all sorts of things to reduce the scars.. boy i can't wait until that day if it ever comes. anyways, i've been shaving about every 5 days and its nice to be able to shave without havin to worry about huge pimples everywhere.

i've been havin a few joint pains, a few severe headaches, very chapped lips but im keeping them constantly coated in chapstick so it hasn't been a problem. i have also been having dry skin, and noticing some little scabs forming on my hand, but i read this was from moisurizing, so i've been tryin to moisturize my hands as much as possible.. alrighty, continue to wish me luck!

DAY 31

---------

OK, well today was my second visit to checkup on my accutane. My derm was very impressed, my blood tests came out fine, and i've had little to no side effects (yet, knock on wood). I must say my back is clearing up dramatically, and i've only had one little breakout since i started accutane on my back. however, my face has had a few breakouts but nothing like i usually get. i do have one annoying cyst type pimple on my jawline on my left side, which are the worst.. but im hoping it will go away soon.. also, my derm doubled my dose from 40mg to 80mg, which i was shocked because i thought the 40 was just fine, but i'm not complaining.. the more stuff in my body, the longer it will kill i hope. anywyas, i got the generic brand this time, (amnesteem i think) but i heard its all the same so i'm not to worried i guess.. must say, this is like the only medication that has worked for my acne, so lets hope month 2 better than the first!!!! :)

as far as working out is concerned, i did chest 2 days ago, and am still sore as hell.. but i did have a 10 day detachment in las vegas, so i didtnt lift heavy for almost 2 weeks (hotel didn't have weights heavier tha 50lbs!! lol)

alrighty, continue to wish me luck

DAY 48

----------

Well, just thought I would drop a line about my condition.. so far so good, i've had one huge cyst breakout on my lower left jawline where i always get one but besides that the breakouts are to a minimum. the side effects are very managble, except i have very very chapped lips but aquaphor takes care of that. put it on like 6 times a day though, kind of annoyingbut if it getts me clear skin i dont care. anyhow, my face is pretty red, nothing crazy changing but i must say nothing else has done what this medication is doing, it looks like its at a standstill right now, as its not appearing to clear up much but like i said breakouts are to a minimum. will report back when some major changes occur.

DAY 62

----------

Alrighty, well a quick update. I must say that this stuff is looking like its working pretty good.. my face is starting to clear a little more and more each day. I have only had 3 little breakouts, one above my right temple, one right below my middle lower lip, and one on my upper right jawline right below my ear. all were very very small breakouts and are drying up quickly, not too fast but faster than they used to. this is big because i used to get 3-4 of these a day it seemed.. anyhow, I am tolerating the side - effects well.. just have chapped lips, and dry eyes..my nasal passages are very very dry to where they were bleeding a lot, however i just stick some aquaphor up there and it fixes it up nicely. i can finally wash my face with my hands all over my face without worrying about hitting a pimple and causing pain.. my skin texture is very smooth and i have what feels like the normal oil that people with normal skin have.. its awesome!!

DAY 71

--------

Quick update.. haven't had but one little tiny breakout since the last time I was here.. absolutely amazing.. my skin is pretty red, and i can definitely notice my scars a lot more.. my face is pretty red, but the side effects are minimal. not nearly as bad as some people say.. i still have very dry lips but thats about it.. occasional joint pains, and little mood swings here and there but nothing un-managable at all. i'm hoping to see some awesome progress in these next 2 months which i think i will.. can't wait to see the end result, and if i remain clear which i am almost at i'll be happy as heck!! and can begin scar therapy and such.

DAY 78

---------

Well, I've had my first breakout on my face for the first time in over a month. Its not big at all and I believe its gonna go away in a couple days.. my back is still clearing, not one new pimple in over 2 months, and i'm confident its gonna be 100% without any red marks by the time im done with my course..however my face is a different story..

i've noticed that my scars are appearing a lot more, and it sorta sucks.. at least i can hope that once i finish my course, i can begin treatment on scars and red marks.. the red marks are horrible, but at least my skin feeels baby smooth.. and i can shave every day comfortably with regular shaving cream and not worry about having to move around cysts and painful pimples..

one a more serious note, i've been experiencing some more serious side effects lately..

- have had like 0 energy, and my gym time has been going down less and less. i stil go a couple times a week but my energy to workout is jus pitiful. i still play basketball twice a week at least.

- my joints have been hurtin here and there.. its so aggrivating. i have been taking fish oil supps when i started but i can't tell if they are doing anything.

- have been getting more headaches lately,gonna bring up to my dermatologist when i goto next visit.. in the meantime, i'm gonna begin drinking a lot of water as i think this might have somethin to do with it..

that brings me to my next part, for the past 2 weeks almost i've been drinking about 2 XXL monster energy drinsk every day and eatin junk food and anythin i want really for the past month because it has no effect on my acne at all, and i've been holdin back all these years.. i'm beginning to change my mind on how diet effects acne because i havent' broken out and i've had the worst stuff you can imagine (milk w/cereal, kit kat bars, soft choc chip cookies, etc) and it has no effect on my skin.. jus thought i'd throw that out there.

besides that my skin is doing ok, i'm coming to terms that my face will be scarred for life but at least i might be able to make it looks clear and get rid of the red marks.. that would be nice at least.. my mood has been a little down lately, and i'm pretty sure its the accutane.. man only 2 more months to go, can't wait to get off this drug!!

DAY 82

---------

Well, not to much to report.. those side effects I reported were actually all caused by SINUSITIS!! i got this infection somehow, and im wonderin if its related to accutane (as i've read its been reported to cause sinus infections)..anyways, thank goodness it was that because i didnt want to stop treatment.. things are looking good.. have had only maybe 2 small little active pimples the past month, its so amazing compared to before.. lots of redness, and lots of marks still but i hope this will at least kill all the active pimples so i can begin working on scars and such..ill try to get some pics up soon if i can.

DAY 106

----------

(i think its 106, or close to it). anyways, just a quick update..something bizarr has happened, i must say that for the first time in probably like 6 years i have had 2 comments on my skin on how clear it is.. me being the optimistic person i am, i dont believe it but people have been commenting on my skin.. i can tell its nowhere near perfect but maybe im just judging myself to much (as we sometimes do).., anyways, i have only had one active pimple and that was on my back, it was a little big, but it has gone done significantly and i can tell it won't leave a scar.. my back is pretty dam clear minus some red marks , which are fading fast.

just a week ago, i thought my face looked horrible.. sure i have 0 active pimples but all these red marks are just disappointing.. well let me tell you that, the past 2 days my skin has taken a remarkable turn for the better.. the red marks are fading reallly fast, my scars are starting to disappear, and i can actually look in the mirror without being shunned.

also, since i've been on accutane i eat whatever i darn please, so im almost convinced that diet has nothing to do with acne (as far as my body is concerned). im talking i eat like peanut butter + jelly sandwhiches, kit kat bars, m&m's, i even drink energy drinks on a daily basis, soda once in a while.. trust me this isnt my diet, but i've jus been spoiling myself since i've been on tane.

anyways, my facial hair is startin to grow back on my chin, where it was only patchy before, (i made a post about it a few months ago). so i hope that i can finally grow a full facial, instead of just a goatee and sideburns..

well, thats all for now.. im almost there, and boy i can't wait to get off of accutane, im pretty sick of the side effects, thats for sure.

DAY 132

----------

Well, i thought i'd drop a quick update.. since noone seemed to read my log anyways lol.. im almost done!! thank goodness!! im 4 months and 12 days in i believe, have about 3 weeks left, totally psyched..

well, i havent had a breakout in about 2 months. my back is 100% clear, with VERY VERY light red marks.. im convinced in a few months, you wont even be able to tell i ever had back acne.. my face is ok, its really tane burned, and i hope it subsides once i get off.. i dont have a single pimple on my face either, totally clear in that respect. howeever, i do have lots of red marks and scars, and am hoping for further treatment once i get off accutane, (hoping it stays permanent).. i have had numerous comments from people about my skin so that is a first.. however, the scars are quite discouraging, and im hoping that what they about accutane thinning out your skin and makin your scars more noticable is true..so that when i come off, they fade into nothing..

any comments or suggestions would be great for some post tane treatment.. thanks

Heya...

im not sure if u need further treatment (scar treatment) because after a few weeks or months post Tane... some marks will be unnoticable... and if there is still some and its annoy u really bad... then maybe chemical peels... always 6months after the Tane... u dont want to do it too early... might be a waste of $$ if it fades without any treatment.

Anyways keep us update yeh...

Takecare!!