Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chacham

Not Good News

I went to my derm appointment this morning. *sighs* I'm on my third month (60 mg), and last week I had a breakout. This morning the nurse told me that I shouldn't be having breakouts so far into my treatment. I don't know what to think. Is Accutane failing me? The thought paralyzes me with fear. Tell me I'm just being silly and that Accutane just needs more time.

O.o

I don't know what to think, I'm desperately grasping for any kind of logic why this might still be happening. Damn it! :doh:

I'm trying to remember, I took it a long time ago, but IIRC it reaaly didn't kcick in form until like month 4 and continued to clear after I quit taking it, maybe a couple more months.

yeah, it's only been 3 months it will probably just take a little while longer, i actually know someone who was on accutane for 2 years (not sure of the dose, and i think she had a break for a few months) it took along time for her but she's been clear for many years since and it still is.

I think the uncertainty of the outcome is freaking me out. Add to that what the nurse said. But the thing is that before the breakout last week I was not having any breakouts, I was clear for several weeks than, BAM! Is that normal? I don't know, the only thing I can do is wait. This sucks.

You have to take some deep breaths and relax man. It takes time for some people, the nurse doesn't know what she's talking about. You need to relax. Accutane will work. The less you think about it the easier your life will be.

My psychologist always uses these stupid examples with two people having extremely different attitudes. I told him about my fears of the acne coming back after I was done tane. He said "Imagine two people, one of them is not at all worried about their acne coming back, and one is nervous as hell and thinks about it everyday, who is more likely to relapse?" Now I know acne can be caused by genetics or w/e but I still think it's true to some extent, the less mental stress you put on yourself the more energy your body will have to do what it needs to do.

Stop worrying.

OH BTW. I was still breaking out in August and my course started in June. Count it. June, July, August. It's now November, I finished my course on the 10th of this month and I haven't had any active acne in the last two months. There are people here who will tell you they were breaking out until they finished the course. Bottom line, take a deep breath and yeah..you know what's next.

I think you're just experiencing an IB, it should go away and don't pay attention to that idiotic nurse ;)

But I've been breaking out since the second month. This surely can't still be an IB. Maybe it is. :doubt:

You have to take some deep breaths and relax man. It takes time for some people, the nurse doesn't know what she's talking about. You need to relax. Accutane will work. The less you think about it the easier your life will be.

My psychologist always uses these stupid examples with two people having extremely different attitudes. I told him about my fears of the acne coming back after I was done tane. He said "Imagine two people, one of them is not at all worried about their acne coming back, and one is nervous as hell and thinks about it everyday, who is more likely to relapse?" Now I know acne can be caused by genetics or w/e but I still think it's true to some extent, the less mental stress you put on yourself the more energy your body will have to do what it needs to do.

Stop worrying.

Your right. I'm trying to stay calm and will focus on other things. I need to focus on positive things. But it's hard. :(

I went to my derm appointment this morning. *sighs* I'm on my third month (60 mg), and last week I had a breakout. This morning the nurse told me that I shouldn't be having breakouts so far into my treatment. I don't know what to think. Is Accutane failing me? The thought paralyzes me with fear. Tell me I'm just being silly and that Accutane just needs more time.

O.o

what are you kidding me? The NURSE said that? what a complete joke. I worked behind the scenes of the medical field, and lemme tell you something, these nurses are half a fuckin retard some of them. they have little or else NO MEDICAL KNOWLEDGE! And lemme tell you something about hospitals, go to the ER, and most of the nurses you see their, are young people who have no experience what so ever, all they do is call different doctors and follow orders. I know that for a fact from working behind the scenes of the medical field. And you wanna talk about nurses, lemme tell you a brief story of 2 complete IDIOT nurses in 1 day!

When I was 15, I had a really freak incident. My left side outta no where swelled up bad, causes me great pain, nearly caused me to pass out, and wouldn't allow me to stand. I was bent over as if I was tying my shoe, and I could not stand. So my father brought me to a walk in clinic, I remained calm, but I didn't know wtf this was. So we get into the examing room and we're waiting for the doc to come in, so this moron nurse comes in and she's askin me questions like how did this happen, and i gave my honest response of I dunno. So then she said Its probably bad gas, that could be painful. So I said I dont think gas would cause my side to swell up and give me this much pain. she stops and thinx and says Maybe its your apendix. I said thats not possible because your appendix is on your right side. So then the doctor sees me, he said it was the strangest thing he's ever scene and he didn't know what to do. So he tells me to go to the ER. So as we're leaving my father finishes up filling out a backround form for me, and another idiot nurse comes up to me, I'm pretty much on the floor in pain, and she says Ok stand up against the wall im gonna have to measure you. So i said thats not possible right now.

Then we go to the ER, medical technicians give me sonogram on my side, and after all that, they still didn't know what the fuck was wrong with me! My side eventually started getting better on its own by theend of the day, and took a week or two to heal completely.

Nurses just give their opinions, they dont know shit. And accutane is drug where you can't predict it. Anything can happen.

And finally if this will make you feel better, i took 60mg's, and I was beaking out still up to and past my 4th month. I even had a small breakout during my final month. I'm now 4 and a half months post tane and my skin is good and everything is fine. My doctor didn't even raise the panic button when i was taking so long to show improvement.

slap the nurse, tell her to go to med school and THEN she can comment on your accutane treatment........ LOL!!!!!

I got a pretty bad break out at the start of month 4, and by the end of that same month I was almost clear!

It's different for everyone, just give it some more time...... and don't forget to slap the nurse to make you feel better ;)

JMTuF1 and finallymejess, you're right. I guess I shouldn't put much stock in what a nurse says. They can be pretty incompetent. She just had me worried because she told me what my fears were telling me.

I'm glad Accutane worked for you JMTuF1. I want the same results, and it's the unpredictability of Accutane ironically that has me worried.

I will biatch slap that nurse for filling my head with more doubts, when she prob. doesn't know, haha.

Still, I have to play the waiting game. It's over my head at the moment.

Don't worry, I was still breaking out until the first week of the last month and I was scared that it didn't work. And all of a sudden I just stopped getting break outs and I was perfectly clear. :)

I have the same problem and I am half-way through month four. HAve hope though, because my friend just came down for thanksgiving, and he had it bad. But now his face is immaculate. He said it will just hit you, one day alll of a sudden you will just be clear.

GOOD LUCK , Chris!

there's a lot of PC BS that goes around about how nurses can do the jobs of doctors. That's BS. nurses are taught to do, doctors are taught to think. that was a shitty thing of the nurse to say to you, she shouldn't have said it and you need to talk to your doctor about this. that's like saying to a pregnant lady: wow you've gotten a lot fatter than any of our other pregnant patients.

not to bash, but nurses really dont have more knowledge than the average common sense person.

And doctors aren't always right either. When I told my story about my side crampin up, my father wanted me to go to the ER,I didn't want to go, I said lets wait it out and see how it does on its own, but my father insisted I go to ER. Well, I went to ER, spent all day there, the doctors couldn't figure out wtf was wrong with me, and My thing got better on its own. Basic answer, even doctors dont always know everything.

not to bash, but nurses really dont have more knowledge than the average common sense person.

Yea, they spend 4 years of college partying and skipping classes - the licensing exam is a cake walk.

I suppose you think that lawyers, accountants and engineers don't have any more knowledge in their field than the average common sense person?