Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rikke

How easily fixable are my scars?

So, I badly want to know how I can reduce my scars.

I have some pictures that shows pretty much what the contour of my skin is. (Awful :sick:)

The lightening sucks, but I hope you have a chance to see it.

My scarring is not that severe, but it's REALLY bothering me!

So be honest - tell me how far you think I'd have to go.

(Btw, I'm wearing make-up on the pictures, but that actually only makes it easier to see how the texture is.)

Right side

Left side

Can you help, please... :unsure:

Oh, and by the way - tell me if you'd like bigger pictures or anything!

They seem pretty shallow. Perhaps retin a and microdermabrasion for 6 months then look into fraxel?

forget micro that is a waste of money for scars. just look into the fraxel SR1500 (second generation fraxel). It can penetrate up to 1 millimeter in depth so those scars can be fixed. you'll probably need 2-3 series of treatments (1 series = 5/6 treatments).

forget micro that is a waste of money for scars. just look into the fraxel SR1500 (second generation fraxel). It can penetrate up to 1 millimeter in depth so those scars can be fixed. you'll probably need 2-3 series of treatments (1 series = 5/6 treatments).

I suppose.....it's just I'm gonna do retin-a for a year before fraxel while I save up some £, plus then hopefully I will get optimal results. Currently using retin-a and want to get a derma roller. Gonna have 6 microdermabrasions just to help the retin-a.

But if you wanna go straight into scar teatments I would say fraxel. It doesn't look like you have any areas that would require subcision/fillers etc.

Ok, just looked it up.

About 6000 danish crowns. (Sounds so stupid to say xD)

That's about 1000 USD

How much will that cost me? :confused:

A whole fucking lot.

If I got that done where I live it would cost me $15,000

Don't get suckered into laser treatments. You don't need that. Some light peeling will do you good. Look into retinoids.

I had really good luck with microdermabrasion for my shallow scars. I did 6 treatments. It's great for clearing up active acne and helping with scars. It also minmizes pore appearance. And yes, I've heard good things about peels too for that little bit of scarring. I haven't tried one yet, but I probably will soon.

retin a and monthly microdermabrasions would help if laser treatment is out of the question. Anyway start small and work your way up......try a retinoid as suggested by a user above!

I agree. Retin-A will help your scars. I have been using it for 4 months and mine are similar to yours. It is a slow treatment but it is working for me. I think it will take me at least a year till a reach a level I am happy with. Microderms and peels would probably help too but I haven't had them done myself, so I am not speaking from experience. It is something I will look into once I drop to a maintenence level of Retin-A. It would just be too much for my skin right now.

btw, pore minimiser works great on concealing our kind of scars. It helps me deal with the scarring I have while I work towards fixing it.

Thanks you, everyone :D

I must admit - I thought lazer was slightly aggressive enough for my - as you say - quite shallow scarring.

Think I'll look into some microdermabrasion and a bit of peeling (which I'll probably have done by a pro., as I am sooo scared of making mistakes xD)

A retionoid is a product like Retin-A, right? Do I need a prescription for this?

I must admit - I thought lazer was slightly aggressive enough for my - as you say - quite shallow scarring.

Think I'll look into some microdermabrasion and a bit of peeling (which I'll probably have done by a pro., as I am sooo scared of making mistakes xD)

A retionoid is a product like Retin-A, right? Do I need a prescription for this?

yup. And judging from your pics, I'm not sure if a doctor would be willing to do lasers on you. Its too shallow, and theres a chance that it could even come out looking worse. Not to mention pricey.

hey, you might as well price everything and try them in order of price. if it doesn't work, you can always try something else without being out a lot of money at first. i've probably thown out enough crappy lotions to cover a zoo of elephants. but forthe few good products i've found, it's still cheaper than a few derm visits, and a lot of there products are junk anyway. i kind of digressed a little, but i think my main point was there

i have scars similar to yours :( even worse because they are located in more places on my face. i tried retin-a but it is too aggressive for my sensitive skin, i did 2 medium chemical peels that improved the appearance of my skin, erased all dark spots and minimized the pores for about 6 months. those scars (pock type) improved also but that improvement only lasted about 5 months (maybe 6). now, after 1 year, i would say improvement after peeling is 20%..

Most of my scars are similar to yours. They are shallow but its still hard to heal. I've tried alot of things (microdermabrasion, peels, Eribum laser, etc..)and it hasn't improve them. In my opinion, I think you should look into Fraxel. It is the safest effective treatments out there. It is not always $1000. You could get partial treatments (on your cheeks). I'm paying $400 for the treatments. Get it done and get it over with. You can also try Retina A (it should help too) along w/ a treatment. Whatever it is that you decide on, don't do it yourself. Find a doctor that cares and understands your skin.

ps: I don't think chemical peel is permanent. I've tried many of them and after awhile skin just turn back to its original state and I've gotten many extra scars from it. (note: i did do them on my own though). I'm not sure if it would be any different if done by a professional. If you do go that route, try low precentage first.

My scars are similar to yours but I also have brown spots which bother me more than scars. I've gone to see two derms so far. One recommends 3 Fraxel treaments on cheeks only for $500 each. Another derm (he doesn't have Fraxel laser) recommends a package of 6 Smoothbeam, 8 Ominlux LED light, and 4 microdermabasions for a total of $2.2K over the course of 6 moths. Although smoothbeam has mixed results from people on this board, I'm inclined towards it as I hear it's very effective for shallow scars that we have, especially when combined with other treatements. Also I don't like the down time of Fraxel since my work schedule is not flexible(although Fraxel is being advertised as mimimal down time, I hear people are still bruised up more than a week).

yup. And judging from your pics, I'm not sure if a doctor would be willing to do lasers on you. Its too shallow, and theres a chance that it could even come out looking worse. Not to mention pricey.

? The girl is lovely and the scars are not major. However she has quite a lot of minor scarring making the

face probably seem uneven especially in certain lighting. The fraxel is not a major laser procedure at all. I

had them done with no problems after having excisions done on my face. WHats left is so minor that it

wouldnt bother anyone. I would say Fraxel or any of the deeper resurfcaing would fix her face right up.

Possibly one session of 6 Fraxels would probably suffice though. If it doesnt work for you, it does not

work. Theres no reason to spend thousands on something that isnt making things better. I dont think fraxel

can make things worse though. She has nothing at all that is too deep for resurfacing or I would have

suggested excisions. It's just a matter of what technique to choose. I would definately suggest you try a

series of Fraxels if you can afford it. I listened to doctors and did what they suggested. Most of the lighter

procedures are rubbish for scar removal so keep that in mind.

I agree with the previous poster about Fraxel. While the scarring is not too deep, there are several clustered together and this would bother me since it is impossibly to cover with makeup. I would say rather than trying peels, etc, which will probably not work, I would go for Fraxel if you can since it appears you are young and as we age, scars seem to look worse because of the elasticity in our skin becoming weaker. I think why not nip it since fraxel is not really supposed to be an ablative laser but from what I read, causes swelling, redness, peeling and so on. Hey, I would have it but am 120 miles from the closest one. No discounts there either, I think they charge flat 1000.00 per treatment. Possibly if you just got your cheeks, it would be less. If you live in a bigger city, they may be more competitve. I am unsure if it is in your budget, but if it is, you are young and want those scars gone or softened so you can go on and not think about it.

Wow I must have some really shitty dermatologists around my area then.

My scarring is less shallow than this, and I still had one derm reccomend a full face dermabrasion to me, and another derm reccomended a series of 6 fraxels.

My scarring is less shallow than this, and I still had one derm reccomend a full face dermabrasion to me, and another derm reccomended a series of 6 fraxels.

I agree - "wow"!

Maybe I should go to my doctor, and see if the government will donate the treatments - COULD happen, if I complain about the scarring ruining my selfconfidence. (Which it actually does...)

Thanks, everyone :) I'll see how much different clinics take for fraxel.

I agree - "wow"!

Maybe I should go to my doctor, and see if the government will donate the treatments - COULD happen, if I complain about the scarring ruining my selfconfidence. (Which it actually does...)

Thanks, everyone :) I'll see how much different clinics take for fraxel.

Yeah you're so lucky to live in Denmark.

Maybe... Guess we'll find out, once I've spoken with my doc. ;)

Maybe... Guess we'll find out, once I've spoken with my doc. ;)

Just make sure to keep us updated, please.