Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swartgevaar

Guys and concealer?

Makeup Man?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. As a guy do/would you use concealer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for important occassions
    • I'm female and think guys shouldn't
    • I'm female and think that if it's ok for me it's ok for you

I wouldn't suggest liquid concealer for a guy...... I think with a lot of practise it might look okay, but most likely not.

Mineral make up, all the way for guys OR girls.... for guys though, I'd say for special occasions.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's liquid concealer and what's mineral make-up?

liquid concealer comes in a tube/jar and gets put on top of marks, etc. with your fingers or a sponge to blend it in. It's difficult to make it look natural and to match with the right colour. It can also make your acne worse.

mineral make up is powder only and is put on with a brush. It looks more natural and is easy to find a matching colour. Mineral make up is often okay or even good for your face and shouldn't cause more acne.

I hope I explained that okay...... I realized I've never had to describe liquid make up before! :lol:

Society expects women to use makeup to hide their flaws. Society doesn't expect men to - so you're likely to get harassed about it, but it's up to you if you're willing to deal with that. No matter how great you are at applying it, it always looks like makeup.

Not sure where I stand - interesting to see some thoughts...

Over the years I've used a stick-type concealer many, many times. The kind that looks like a flesh colored lipstick.

My goal was usually just to tone it down a little. I used very harsh light and reading (magnifying) glasses to put it on so I was very confident it didn't show to the casual observer standing 3+ feet away. I never tried to cover completely if that would make the concealer visible at all. again, my goal was generally just to tone it down a little, not hide it and risk being BUSTED for using concealer.

Concealer has been a godsend for me. For a long time, I refused to use anything, but after I started working in a communications job where presentation and appearance are important, having acne was unacceptable. With large visible acne, I lack the confidence to sell myself and my business. Also, people would treat me worse with visible blemishes.

The trick is never to cover it too completely, especially if it is raised. Most people really don't study the details of your face, so toning it down might as well be making it invisible.

Don't be so vein, leave it to women to worry about 1 or two pimples, it doesnt show on our rough faces anyway, you don't want to be a baby face. Plus I can spot a woman's makeup hiding her flaws from a kilometer away, shes not fooling me one bit, and they actually know how to apply it, if I saw a man wear makeup I would roll on the floor laughing, if you are about to star in movie than I would forgive you about it.

Some people are ignorant about it, but it's no big deal. I use a brush to dab concealer on my red marks and it looks so natural that it's practically impossible to tell, at least nobody has pointed it out to me. But I went to a makeup artist and made sure to get the EXACT right match for my skin color. The makeup artist didn't make a big deal at all about it, and said it's more common than I think for guys to dab a little concealer on every now and then.

It's increased my confidence tremendously, and I have no problem attracting women or dealing with other guys. Nobody's ever pointed it out or noticed, and I'm around obnoxious people a lot of the time so I'm almost positive if they saw makeup on my face they'd say something. It evens out my skin tone and like one of the other guys said, people aren't sitting right in your face studying the details and every slight imperfection anyways. As long as its the same color as your face and you don't cake it on like a maniac, nobody's gonna say anything.

Saying that you should only use it for a special occasion doesn't even make sense. So you should have red, inflamed looking acne every day but on your graduation or for a dance you can have clear skin? Just wear it if you want, and don't if you don't. It's that simple.

Yeah for sure, nothings manlier than some blush and eyeliner *rolleyes*.

she means just consealer, but i think you knew that

anyway, no, i don't/wouldn't wear makeup.

I see guys and they acne, SO WHAT! I'll probably be like "eww" get over it and see pass that for their personality, if they have any. But that would be my immediate reaction "ew"

But, If I FIND OUT a guy used makeup I'd be like "ohhh", followed by a "why?" (knowing it would be for acne) then a "he must be really insecure about himself, if he feels he needs to wear makeup" :shrug:

But, if he was opened about using makeup, I might ask him to teach me how to wear it :lol: Oh the irony! (I'd still question his masculinity, and it be followed by an "I guess, I have to accept" )

I see guys and they acne, SO WHAT! I'll probably be like "eww" get over it and see pass that for their personality, if they have any. But that would be my immediate reaction "ew"

But, If I FIND OUT a guy used makeup I'd be like "ohhh", followed by a "why?" (knowing it would be for acne) then a "he must be really insecure about himself, if he feels he needs to wear makeup"

These are the types of remarks that I'm talking about :rolleyes:. So if you saw a guy with acne, your immediate reaction would be "eww" as you say. But then you say if you found out that same guy used concealer the next day to cover his acne that you find disgusting, you would immediately see him as insecure and feminine. These are the shallow types of remarks that make the teenage years so hard for so many people.

Do you ever stop to think that the reason a guy might be insecure in the first place is because he knows that people like you are going to see his skin and think "eww, gross" to themselves?

for special occasions.

yup.. and if your guna get wet/sweat a little or if thers a chance it might be wiped off, don't wear it

Yeah, suffering through acne is pretty manly. Looking and feeling good about your skin is for chicks.

Yeah, suffering through acne is pretty manly. Looking and feeling good about your skin is for chicks.

And how do you figure adding makeup to the equation of an already irritated face will help ? Sure you can pick out non comodogenic acne all you want, so what, all it takes is one allergic reaction to the makeup, and boom, you have acne whereas without you wouldnt have had.

Your a man, go out and achieve, break records, break laws, go earn some fat paycheques, drive some nice cars, conquer the world, stop worrying about nothing and fullfill your role as a man.

Don't be so vein, leave it to women to worry about 1 or two pimples, it doesnt show on our rough faces anyway, you don't want to be a baby face. Plus I can spot a woman's makeup hiding her flaws from a kilometer away, shes not fooling me one bit, and they actually know how to apply it, if I saw a man wear makeup I would roll on the floor laughing, if you are about to star in movie than I would forgive you about it.

If you ever met my wife, you'd know that if the concealer I use is apparent, she'd tell me for sure, and give me a raft of crap. (I dont' tell her I use it!). she's not shy about pointing out my flaws and foibles.

As for masculinity, you'd have to ask my wife about that... as well as consider the other "manly" things I do (huntin', fishin', drankin' hard likker, chawing tobaccy). The conceiving of kids with the wave of my, er, wand .... that might count for somthing too :angel:

Now the vanity - that's for sure, I won't argue at all.

Your a man, go out and achieve, break records, break laws, go earn some fat paycheques, drive some nice cars, conquer the world, stop worrying about nothing and fullfill your role as a man.

I haven't seen many people with acne covering their face do those things, but I guess we can all dream :)

I haven't seen many people with acne covering their face do those things, but I guess we can all dream :)

Classic!

Cybernick, I've agreed with everything you've said on this thread to a T. I've used concealer for many years, and when I do I just dab on a little. Just enough to, as someone said, dull down the redness of whatever is on my face. I've never found that it irritates my skin, takes about 10 seconds, and I feel fine about my skin all day.

My girlfriends have known that I do it, and never cared. None of my friends have noticed it on, and if they've seen me apply it and given me shit, I just ask them what they would do if they didn't have good skin...of course they have no response.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal, and would feel more embarrased if I were one of those chicks that just DUMPS the make-up on their face. I mean if you want to nit-pick about caring about one's appearance, why shave? Why comb your hair? Did cowboys do that shit back in the 1860's? Maybe every other week. Talking about "manly," gimme a break...

I've been using liquid concealer for years - no one I know has noticed. I'll do whatever it takes to tone down those frigging red marks!!

But, If I FIND OUT a guy used makeup I'd be like "ohhh", followed by a "why?" (knowing it would be for acne) then a "he must be really insecure about himself, if he feels he needs to wear makeup"

These are the types of remarks that I'm talking about :rolleyes:. So if you saw a guy with acne, your immediate reaction would be "eww" as you say. But then you say if you found out that same guy used concealer the next day to cover his acne that you find disgusting, you would immediately see him as insecure and feminine. These are the shallow types of remarks that make the teenage years so hard for so many people.

Do you ever stop to think that the reason a guy might be insecure in the first place is because he knows that people like you are going to see his skin and think "eww, gross" to themselves?

:lol: at your reply. Immediate reaction, is "ew" not that I would say it outloud. Man up! My ex had acne, before I even had them. Back then, he was 2 years older than me and I thought it was "manly" to have acne (I was 15 back then). Now he has clear skin, but I don't like his features anymore :lol: the irony.

People "like me" are not shallow, my dear. I go for personality rather than looks. That's why I'd be turned off if I found out a guy I date is wearing makeup and he has self-esteem issues to take care of.

Now, you can't tell me that you don't say "ew" immediately if you see a girl with acne or the "ohhhhhh" :lol: which is worse? :lol:

Personally I don't think it's a big deal, and would feel more embarrased if I were one of those chicks that just DUMPS the make-up on their face. I mean if you want to nit-pick about caring about one's appearance, why shave? Why comb your hair? Did cowboys do that shit back in the 1860's? Maybe every other week. Talking about "manly," gimme a break...

I love it, a man that doesnt shave. He looks all scrubby & in the morning his hair is a mess. :wub:

Now if we want to go on ODORS, that's a different story.

People "like me" are not shallow, my dear. I go for personality rather than looks. That's why I'd be turned off if I found out a guy I date is wearing makeup and he has self-esteem issues to take care of.

I just don't see how you can directly correlate makeup use to low self-esteem without any evidence to support what you're saying. So all girls that wear makeup have low self-esteem as well, since they're covering up certain imperfections and red marks? That's like saying guys who put gel in their hair have low self-esteem, because they're trying to cover up how messy their hair normally looks without it. Or are you saying gel is OK though, but makeup is not because of society's expectations for males? Because they have to "Man up" as you say and just look totally natural and like they haven't showered in a week. People in society do tons of things to change the way they look and to cover up flaws, it has nothing to do with hating yourself.

I've never said you were shallow, I respect everyone's right to their own opinions. I just can't logically agree with some of yours ;) .