Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Monkeymagic

Microwaving, Good or Bad

Well we all know its quicker and easier to microwave stuff like my oats in the morning and eggs. But I've also heard its bad for the food and destroys all the stuff on the inside so I don't know. I'd like to hear your oppinions on Microwaving whether its good or bad.

Well I am still here, but dont nuke things in plastic, try to use glass.

I heard it was the stuff that food was nuked in not the actual food.

Well I am still here, but dont nuke things in plastic, try to use glass.

I heard it was the stuff that food was nuked in not the actual food.

consuming or inhaling plastic causes cancer i believe?

so watch out for microwaving stuff with plastic too

If you were cooking every single meal in the micro, then maybe it would be excessive, but like everything else, you kinda have to follow the "everything in moderation" rule. A couple of years ago I had received an email from a relative about the hazards of microwaving things in plastic containers, so I checked it out on snopes.com and there really wasn't much truth to it. Still, I use microwave-safe porcelain dishes instead of plastic. I think mainly you dont' want to microwave anything with plastic wrap on it. I use my micro only when I need it - they tend to overcook everything unless you open:stir open:stir, and so on.

Thanks, well regardless I think I'll cut down and maybe only use it for oats. its hard to find any information with solid scientific facts about negative effects of microwaving. I guess if they were that dangerous they wouldn't sell them ? :S

Thanks, well regardless I think I'll cut down and maybe only use it for oats. its hard to find any information with solid scientific facts about negative effects of microwaving. I guess if they were that dangerous they wouldn't sell them ? :S

Apparently in some parts of the world they don't. I have absolutely no evidence to back up that they're bad but from hearsay and mainly blogs i think they're not good, something to do with the way they vibrate molecules or something i dont know. I just posted to let you know there's a very easy way to make porridge without a microwave, if you have traditional oats you can blend the whole packet (so you dont need to do it everytime) then just add blended oats to a dish and half a spoonful of butter. poor on some boiling water and mix it up until it looks like poridge. you could add salt or raisins to make it taste nicer. its just as quick.

Pearson & Shaw state in their books that of the common cooking methods, microwaving causes the LEAST loss of nutrients from foods.

Bryan

I decided I better not trust my memory on this, so I went and retrieved the actual quote from Pearson & Shaw's book "Life Extension" (page 369):

"...The following lists food preparation methods in terms of carcinogen production from worst to least: meat cooked directly over charcoal, baked or broiled meat, pan-fried meat, microwave-cooked meat, or boiled meat. Carcinogen production is negligible in the last two cooking techniques. Microwave cooking also destroys the least vitamins, whereas boiling causes almost complete loss of water-soluble vitamins. From the standpoint of nutrition, convenience, and safety, microwave cooking is superior."

Bryan

I decided I better not trust my memory on this, so I went and retrieved the actual quote from Pearson & Shaw's book "Life Extension" (page 369):

"...The following lists food preparation methods in terms of carcinogen production from worst to least: meat cooked directly over charcoal, baked or broiled meat, pan-fried meat, microwave-cooked meat, or boiled meat. Carcinogen production is negligible in the last two cooking techniques. Microwave cooking also destroys the least vitamins, whereas boiling causes almost complete loss of water-soluble vitamins. From the standpoint of nutrition, convenience, and safety, microwave cooking is superior."

Bryan

Uhmm this seems to suggest that whereas a method of cooking is known to produce carcinogenic substances (baking staches, grilling meat ...) microwaves doesn't. But this doesn't tell whether microwaves per se may be harmful even when cooking a carrot (which is not known to produce carcinogenic substances in cooking)

What I mean is that they may be prevent the cancer causing of other cooking methods while adding even worse cancer causing peculiar of microwaves. Certain studies seems to suggest this ...

Health Hazards of Microwaves Cooking

Health Hazards of Microwaves Cooking 2

What I mean is that they may be prevent the cancer causing of other cooking methods while adding even worse cancer causing peculiar of microwaves. Certain studies seems to suggest this ...

Yeah, not to mention that they may also serve as beacons to UFOs circling around above you! :dance:

There's such a thing as paranoia, Danny. Post the studies, and lets see if they make any sense, or if they're just scaremongering...

Bryan

Yeah, not to mention that they may also serve as beacons to UFOs circling around above you! :dance:

There's such a thing as paranoia, Danny. Post the studies, and lets see if they make any sense, or if they're just scaremongering...

Bryan

There's such a thing as preconceived opinion. I mean you admit not to have enough info to know whether microwaving is harmful or harmless, and yet you tends towards the second speculation. Why?

Seems like you're afraid to find out it could be really dangerous

Read the pages I have posted, they seem to contain interesting info about scientific proof that microwaving can be harmful.

I'll look for more. I admit I don't know much either, in my country they're not much used

A microwave doen't use radiation to cooke the food. It uses a "wave" that causes teh h2o molecules to vibrate rapidly generating their own heat by which the food cooks. It's not like we are Peter Parekering all our food or anything. It's basically steaming the food using it's own moisture.