Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SchilleVille

Any other former Accutane users

Who wouldn't recommend it? I was on accutane about 15 years ago and seriously despised the side affects. Bloody noses, IBS, Dry skin, massive mood swings/irratability. And yet I see people all over clamoring for it like it's some kind of miracle. I understand that some people have sever cases that would dictate this sever drug, but I know a girl who wants it simply for her pores and has no real acne. I also hear teens who have maybe a pimple now and again wanting it.

Am I the only one that thinks it truely is a last resort, yet it's being treated like a first response?

Well, I've had acne since I was 15 years old. It was moderate for 3 years, and over the past 2 years it got severe. I believe it should be a last resort. For me, it was the last resort. I could have been on it 2 months sooner, but I had canceled my dermatology appointment to try a regimen, hoping it would clear me up. Boy, was I wrong. Not only did it make my skin worse, it gave me bad cystic acne that swelled my face up like a basket ball. I was in extreme physical pain. Not that I hadn't had cystic acne before, but this had catapulted my already bad skin to an all-time high of bad acne.

I believe there are some cases where even if it isn't cystic, it is very persistent where topical treatments, oral medication have been used to no avail; only then, also, should they be allowed to try a low dosage. And for cystic acne would a high dosage be suitable. Accutane shouldn't be used as a scapegoat. It's not my place to judge or surmise about someone else's situation, but from having experienced it, it should not be handed out like crack cocaine.

Dont you get it....? Someone can have SEVERE cystic acne and want Accutane.The someone else can have ONE pimple and want it.Acne makes people feel SHIT FULLSTOP...no one wants redmarks on thier faces whilst everyone else has porcelain skin.

And once you have tried all the OTC products and antibiotics you WILL want Accutane....nuff said

It's kind of iffy. I wish I had taken accutane a long time before I did, because I have quite a few scars to show for being too scared to go on accutane. It certainly has its downsides but nothing else really works.

I was on accutane about 15 years ago and seriously despised the side affects. Bloody noses, IBS, Dry skin, massive mood swings/irratability.

My first course my side effects were miserable, and remembering them made me put off seeking a second course for much longer than i should have. This second course the side effects were much less intense though, i'm sort of kicking myself for waiting because i incurred quite a bit of scarring.

I do feel that it's being over-prescribed, and i worry about the people who are taking it for mild acne - they seem to be the ones with the worst horror stories. And it makes me mad (read - jealous) because of all the crap i had to go through to get it for severe acne, and they somehow find a doctor to give it to them for next to nothing. Meh.

I try to think that there's people it helped, who come on here to tell how great it is..... and people that didn't like the result or the side effects that come on here to bitch.

Either way, I remember that there's millions and millions of people that it helped (that do not post here) that far outnumber the complaints.

sorry to use Necromancer's phrase, but it isa miracle, case closed. ;)

I'd recommend it for moderate to severe and persistant cases

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it definately lessened my acne after I did a full course

If you can manage the side effects, and you do good research i'd say go for it.

Dont you get it....? Someone can have SEVERE cystic acne and want Accutane.The someone else can have ONE pimple and want it.Acne makes people feel SHIT FULLSTOP...no one wants redmarks on thier faces whilst everyone else has porcelain skin.

And once you have tried all the OTC products and antibiotics you WILL want Accutane....nuff said

Yeah I get it. When I took it I was the poster child for cystic acne. Mine was on my back I can only imagine what it would be like on my face. Currently more than 50% of my back is scar tissue from it. I absolutely get it, my dermatologist had tried every technique that 30+ years in the business had given experience to try. You bet I get it it was the last resort.

If you had read my initial post through you would have seent that I said this..."I understand that some people have sever cases that would dictate this sever drug"

I get it man, I totally get it. What I don't get is Dermatologists that prescribe it for the extremely mild cases, and I'm talking about the occasional pimple bit.

I try to think that there's people it helped, who come on here to tell how great it is..... and people that didn't like the result or the side effects that come on here to bitch.

All good stuff. I hope you all don't think I came here to bitch about it, because it did "Cure" my persistant severe cystic acne. I also am one of several that I know personally that have permanent side affects from it. Would I have not taken it as a teen, knowing that I would have a lasting side affect? No I still would have taken it, my acne caused serious pain and discomfort. Again like I've said throughout the thread, I'm talking about the people with mild cases.

of course americans have to make everything difficult. in other countries anyone complaining of cosmetic acne concerns gets 40 mg isotretinion immediately (before any other treatment like topicals or antibiotics).

if she wants it just for pores she can do a microdose of .05-.5 mg/kg/day for 12-16 weeks.

stop being a trouble making american. maybe you can sue all the companies that make isotretinion for making you even ponder it in this thread.

What I always wonder though and this is maybe something to think about....Maybe there is a reason that Doctors are reluctant to prescribe it...Really, it seems that people never consider this. If it is truely harmless and has no potential problems, why would doctors be reluctant?

BTW sorry for raising so much trouble simply for voicing my epxperiance and asking if anyone else felt the same as me. Apparently my experience and concerns are not wanted nor welcome here.

stop being a trouble making american. maybe you can sue all the companies that make isotretinion for making you even ponder it in this thread.

Puh-leeze. You seem like a touchy / cranky person.

Has anyone in here read this info from the FDA?

Link to FDA Accutane info page

And I'm wrong to have concerns about people using it for non-serious cases...My bad.

they don't give statistics..... which to me = rubbish. When there's no statistical significance to link accutane and suicide, I don't see why it's even mentioned.

here's a much better link, instead of giving into the paranoia of the media.

Accutane info link.

Wikipedia isn't exactly reliabnle either. They don't state where they aquire thair stats, nor do they show how many people were tested to aquirte those stats.

I think people are missing my initial point and flaming at me because they are so defensive of Accutane. People with minimal to mild acne should not take it, plain and simple. That was my initial point, but people assumed I was bitching about it.

Wow this is something I didn't know....Accutane was initially developed as a chemotherapy drug for cancer....

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/accutane.asp

Yeah I get it. When I took it I was the poster child for cystic acne. Mine was on my back I can only imagine what it would be like on my face. Currently more than 50% of my back is scar tissue from it. I absolutely get it, my dermatologist had tried every technique that 30+ years in the business had given experience to try. You bet I get it it was the last resort.

If you had read my initial post through you would have seent that I said this..."I understand that some people have sever cases that would dictate this sever drug"

I get it man, I totally get it. What I don't get is Dermatologists that prescribe it for the extremely mild cases, and I'm talking about the occasional pimple bit.

Id say i have mild acne.But having tried everything plus antibiotics tane is my last resort.Im fucking tired of zits :wall:

Wikipedia isn't exactly reliabnle either. They don't state where they aquire thair stats, nor do they show how many people were tested to aquirte those stats.

I think people are missing my initial point and flaming at me because they are so defensive of Accutane. People with minimal to mild acne should not take it, plain and simple. That was my initial point, but people assumed I was bitching about it.

Wow this is something I didn't know....Accutane was initially developed as a chemotherapy drug for cancer....

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/accutane.asp

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for posting the link.