Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ami24

dime-sized bump on skin

I have this red dime sized bump on the top of my cheekbone. It started out as a teeny tiny zit and it still is but the area around it became like a red war zone. it's painful to the touch and actually looks kind of like a bruise. i've tried icing (i think this made it worse) and slathering BP on it for a few nights but everyday i wake up it looks the exact same ! no change at all. it's been there for about 5 days. anybody have another suggestion to smother this thing? :evil:

I have this red dime sized bump on the top of my cheekbone. It started out as a teeny tiny zit and it still is but the area around it became like a red war zone. it's painful to the touch and actually looks kind of like a bruise. i've tried icing (i think this made it worse) and slathering BP on it for a few nights but everyday i wake up it looks the exact same ! no change at all. it's been there for about 5 days. anybody have another suggestion to smother this thing? :evil:

possibly a boil, try putting hot cotton wool on twice a day until a head forms

Yes I agree w/Jordan, see a dermatologist or gen. practitioner right away. Cysts are painful when they are infected and can leave a nasty scar. Dr. might put you on cephalexin (sp?) antibiotic to make the infection go down. I went in too late when I had one on my arm that was infected. It had to be lanced, and the wound packed with the bandaging changed every single day. I had to drive to the Dr.'s office EVERY SINGLE DAY. I am left with a keloid scar and a quarter-sized red, inflamed hyperpigmentation mark that hasn't gone away in over a year. I don't want to scare you, but if I could do it all over again I would have gone in earlier.

Yes I agree w/Jordan, see a dermatologist or gen. practitioner right away.

i'm not sure if GPs do cortisone injections, i would trust a derm more to do an injection anyway.

Yes I agree w/Jordan, see a dermatologist or gen. practitioner right away.

i'm not sure if GPs do cortisone injections, i would trust a derm more to do an injection anyway.

True. It probably depends on the insurance. HMO's will require an initial vistit to a GP probably (for a referral), and the GP may just do the injection. Who knows. I have an HMO and it sucks, my GP never refers me to a derm. She instead gave me this story about how acne is actually rosacea and prescribed me with this crap product called metrogel. I know what rosacea looks like and I know what acne rosacea looks like, and I have neither. I'm going to change GP's. Sorry for the rant

thankfully the inflamed area has shrank considerably and its almost flat. so it just looks like a redmark now. whew :D i'm relieved. you guys had me worried. i just kept putting BP on it 2x a day and the usual moisturizer. guess it just needed time.