Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pastelprincess

Pastelprincess' Accutane Log

Hi everyone! Let me introduce myself: I'm a 20-year old girl from Toronto, Ontario, and I've had acne since I was about 14 (6 embarassing years!) It's seemed to worsen since I started university, and is mostly the cystic type, with a lot of blackheads. To help, my doctor started me on a low dose of Accutane (10mg) this past Monday. Hopefully the low dose will minimize the side effects and let me skip over the IB that so many people have experienced. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking?! ;)

I decided to join the site after doing a little research on treatment options, and was really surprised to see how many people post on it. I wanted to start a log after reading a few posted on here, so that I could chart my own progress and help other people who are considering Accutane.

Since I started breaking out (in high school), I've tried:

- Glycolid and salicylic acid treatments (Glycolic peels helped a bit with superficial scarring)

- Tazorac

- Differin

- Proactiv

- Antibiotics (more specifically, Clarithromycin, which is helping a bit)

- Benzomycin (dried out my skin completely)

- Birth control (Alesse, Depo-Provera, and more recently, Ortho-Tricyclen)

I'll be posting the "before" pictures soon, and hope to see some improvement before my doctor ups my dosage to 40mg next month. Wish me luck!

Good luck on the Accutane! I started getting acne when I was 14 as well and I've waited until I was 27 to get on Accutane - of course, like you, I tried everything else to get rid acne, Accutane is the final straw for most people. I'm only 3 days ahead of you so I'll have to keep an eye on your log!

Stepup: thanks for your encouragement. I hope that, in 5 months time, we'll both be clear and gorgeous! As promised, here are the before pictures (sorry for the poor lighting.)

[attachmentid=6779] Right side

[attachmentid=6782] Left side

[attachmentid=6781] :cry:

Today is Day 3 on Accutane, and so far I haven't experienced any side effects except that my lips seem to be a bit dry (can't tell if it's the medication or the weather though)

Some of my previous breakouts are starting to heal, and no new ones have come up just yet but I'm not holding my breath... I don't think even Accutane works that fast!

post-49765-1164236549_thumb.jpg

post-49765-1164236572_thumb.jpg

post-49765-1164236883_thumb.jpg

post-49765-1164236549_thumb.jpg

post-49765-1164236572_thumb.jpg

post-49765-1164236883_thumb.jpg

Today is Day 5, and so far I haven't experienced much dryness, except on my lips. I had one big zit on my chin that popped up yesterday, but is now just a red mark. I'm going to an army Christmas Ball this Saturday night so I hope I don't break out until afterwards! That's it for now... back to self-tanning...

good luck

I've started @10mg 2 months ago, have been slowly increasing it to 30 mg now, and I'm satisfied. The face has cleared 90-95% with an ocasional acne once in a while. I've noticed improvement after 3-4 weeks.

I've got at least 2 more months of accutane to go, but I think it really wokred fine for me.

I guess in the next 3-4 weeks at this rate of improvement my face will completely clear.

only problems so far have been dry lips, and slightly dry skin.

ocasionally I feel a little exhausted, but havent had IB.

check out my log...

also there's a little cream my derm proscribed to me, that really helped me out with dry lips. I apply it 2-3 times a day, and it completely takes away the dryness....

good luck

I've started @10mg 2 months ago, have been slowly increasing it to 30 mg now, and I'm satisfied. The face has cleared 90-95% with an ocasional acne once in a while. I've noticed improvement after 3-4 weeks.

I've got at least 2 more months of accutane to go, but I think it really wokred fine for me.

I guess in the next 3-4 weeks at this rate of improvement my face will completely clear.

only problems so far have been dry lips, and slightly dry skin.

ocasionally I feel a little exhausted, but havent had IB.

check out my log...

also there's a little cream my derm proscribed to me, that really helped me out with dry lips. I apply it 2-3 times a day, and it completely takes away the dryness....

Lucky ST: It's great to hear from someone who's had success with a low dosage. I'd say the majority of people using Accutane on this site are using dosages of 40mg+, and it's hard to predict whether I'll start to experience certain side effects or see some real improvement with my prescription. I definitely will check out your log, thanks. Did you experience any additional breakouts when you upped your dosage? And tell me the name please- I need to buy some of that cream!

In other news, it's Day 7 (one week down, 19 to go) and I'm starting to feel some cysts growing on my cheeks, some small whiteheads near my hairline but nothing's visible yet- I hope it stays that way!

Today is Day 14, and I couldn't be happier. I heard that Accutane usually starts to work in 3-4 weeks, but I've had only minor whiteheads since my IB and now I find myself picking at my blackheads for lack of anything else! :dance: My blemishes also heal much quicker than before Accutane; this is something others have mentioned as well.

I've reduced my dosage of antibiotics to one a day, am still using the Differin cream at night with La Roche-Posay 30SPF sunscreen moisturizer during the day, and have added DDF 10% glycolic toner (highly recommended) to my daily regime. I have a dermatologist appointment this Monday, so I'm going to ask for something to fade my red spots from previous breakouts. Has anyone on here found something that works well?

Pictures to follow (camera is being repaired!)

Aaargghhh... I spoke too soon. Either my skin had a relapse, or this is the actual IB starting up. I don't understand, it was working so well! :wall:

Anyways, when I went to my dermatologist, he thought my doctor was crazy for prescribing me such a low dosage and explained that my acne would most likely return after I finished the course of Accutane if I continued with the 10mg. To be honest, I never really understood why the common dosages on this site ranged from 60-80mg; he explained how the dosage was weight-dependant. I'm kind of frustrated... I've been on this medication for almost 3 weeks now and it's done nothing for me in the long-run. When I go back to my doctor on Dec. 14th, I'm definitely going to ask him to up my dosage to 60mg (which is the appropriate dosage for my weight.)

Also, for anyone using Differin and Accutane at the same time, Differin is a Vitamin-A derivative, so you might want to stop or you risk drying out your skin too much.

Some good news: I've booked a trip down to Florida for Christmas break and it looks like I'll be spending New Years' sipping margaritas in South Beach.

I will just give you a tip, I am on a low dose treatment also, 20mg a day. I have been on it for about 5 months now with good results however it took at least 8 weeks before I got consistent results and clearer skin. The first 8 weeks were filled with many ups and downs.

It just takes time for the tane to really get into your body and get those good results, especially when on a lower dose.

Happy

happygilmore: Thanks for the heads-up. On that note, it's Day 23 and my skin has cleared considerably again, except for one large blemish right in the middle of my forehead. Thank God I have bangs; this is frustrating!

I'm going to start work in a upscale restaurant as soon as my exams finish (tommorow) and I don't want my skin to look all blotchy and bumpy, so I've started applying a little BP over my face at night. I thought it might over-dry my skin but it seems to be doing fine- my toner is unbelievable so when I wash off the BP in the morning, one swipe of the cotton ball and all the dead skin is gone.

I've only had one exam so far and I'm bored out of my mind. I've been talking to an old friend of mine on MSN recently, and I can't stop thinking about him. I guess it's not fair to say that he's a friend, since we dated briefly before he left to go to school and I met my last boyfriend, who I dated for two years. All while I was dating my last boyfriend, we kept flirting (but nothing happened, obviously!) and he made me promise that he would be the first one to know if we broke up. Well, eventually we did... but now he has a girlfriend! It's aggravating, especially since we still flirt with each other. What's strange is that he never told me about his having a girlfriend until I asked him outright, having heard from someone else. Any thoughts? (This is me procrastinating :whistle: )

Today is Day 30, and I have been blessed with decidedly drier skin, dry lips, and the biggest pimple you've ever seen right between my eyebrows.

I returned to my doctor, who wanted to introduce the 40mg dosage more gradually, so he told me to take two of the 10mg pills daily (20mg) and return in six weeks. I wasn't super happy about this plan, and explained that it's not that I'm drug-happy, but that I fear the breakout that comes with each dosage change. I've started taking the antibiotics again to help lessen the next IB; hopefully that will help.

Here are the update pictures, as promised:

post-49765-1166548273_thumb.jpg This is awesome

post-49765-1166548282_thumb.jpg Left side

post-49765-1166548289_thumb.jpg Right side

post-49765-1166548273_thumb.jpg

post-49765-1166548282_thumb.jpg

post-49765-1166548289_thumb.jpg

Haven't updated in awhile so here's a quick summary of how my course is going:

Returned to my doctor, who subsequently prescribed me a 20mg daily dose of Accutane, to be increased further if no improvement or significant side effects occur. Apparently he's a firm believer in the "slow but steady" course of treatment and doesn't want to give me the 60mg dose he intends to work me up to right away. :doubt:

In good news, went to Miami over the winter break and partied in South Beach for NYE with some friends. I had a great time and hopefully will be back soon! The sun also gave me some much-needed colour, and seems to have helped improve my complexion, though my lips are insanely dry. I've ordered Dr. Dan's Cortibalm on several recommendations, and can't wait for the stuff to arrive.

I had a great time being home (and away) for the holidays and here's wishing everyone a happy New Year's!