Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tazorac

some of the dumbest or bad advice that youve heard about acne

I'm sure it's been said before, but the idea that CHOCOLATE and sweet foods cause it. My mom is constantly telling me this as if she's a dermatologist or something, and my DAD even has said it once. Ugh. And my skin isn't even really bad, I just have red marks!

Also that I shouldn't use any sort of cleanser, but just cleanse with water and moisturize. Or that my mineral makeup is causing my skin problems. This is all from my mom. lol.

Guest molly_jean_comments

Once I was hanging out with this girl who had pretty bad acne, and then she told me that once a lady insisted that she put blood on her face to clear up acne... not just any blood either--the blood she got from her "time of the month" if you know what I mean.

SOME PEOPLE!

well that wont work for me cuz i am a guy :( unless i bleed analy :think:

LMAO:lol:

Have you ever been irritated when someone tells you to smile? One cannot simply make oneself happy via osmosis, and it's patronizing to advise people to do so.

Yes, that is incredibly irritating!

Do you think Yasmin causes weight gain? I the thread on this site about Yasmin birthcontrol pills.

A few people report that it does, but it seems to be much less common than with other brands. It does seems to almost universally make your boobs grow a cup size, though, which i imagine adds a few pounds.

I think the increase in breast size can also come from swelling. I went up only half a cup size at most (it seemed like my boobs just got "fuller") & I experienced a lot of tenderness & soreness. To me it looked like my boobs were overstuffed or something :D

I did not gain any weight at all & 6 months into in my boobs went back to normal.

Dumbest Advice:

Just keep buying products, BP, SA, cleansers, pads, soaps and be sure to slather them generously on your face , all over at least twice daily . They'll kick in eventually, ,even though you've had acne for 25 years. Ignore the fact that some of them will BLEACH your hair, your shirts, your pillowcases and your shower curtain... they're safe and they're not harming your skin. Just keep believing and buying.

I think the increase in breast size can also come from swelling. I went up only half a cup size at most (it seemed like my boobs just got "fuller") & I experienced a lot of tenderness & soreness. To me it looked like my boobs were overstuffed or something

I did not gain any weight at all & 6 months into in my boobs went back to normal.

I did experience soreness, but i'm well past 6 months and they are still large and in charge! Heh.

1.some people think sweating helps acne (exercising) that is dumb and its false...sweating makes acne worse!! it clogs your skin and results in inflammation
Someone told me sweating is a natural skin cleaning thingie and i believe it. Just wipe it off or take a shower afterward, dont freak out and scrub your face afterwards. I dont think sweating causes acne as long as it doesnt stay on your face for extended periods of time. Makes perfect sense to me..sweat comes from inside and leaves your body, seems like it could only be seen as a cleaning mechanism to me.

1.some people think sweating helps acne (exercising) that is dumb and its false...sweating makes acne worse!! it clogs your skin and results in inflammation

really? i thought that sweat had no effects on acne.... or maybe thats just back acne or something?

some random guy on the street told me that urine was good for it. and me like a bloody idiot, willing to try anything to see improvements, did it. BS!!!! now, im thinking that *sshole (pardon) did it to skrew me over! :evil:

I can kind of see where was coming from, I really wouldnt recommend this for the face but I know for athletes foot, pissing on your feet in teh shower works becaues its a very strong anti something or other. I forget the terminology, wanna say anti-fungal but i dont know. It kills the stuff is what im getting at.

I really think stress has an effect on acne though because it always seemed when I got stressed out younger that it would really have an effect in the following week. Stress causes other problems like that so it would make sense.

Just go out and be active, sweat, take a shower after (not every single time you sweat but you know what I mean), eat healthy, drink plenty of water, take vitamins, do your regimen, its not going to hurt. Dont stress out more than necessary, and I know it sucks when you're complexion is really bad but try not to dwell on it mroe than you feel you need to. Eating healthy seriously makes you feel better guys. Its not a matter of acne and I know its a hard thing to ask, I never really had the skills to make food either or eat balanced. Just keep it in mind

There's a little truth in almost everyone's advice, no matter how dumb it may seem ....

Everyone's skin is different. Certain factors (diet, for example) affect some people more than others. Products have different effects on different people's skins.

There are just so many factors that go into skin health .... it's all a question of identifying what's gone wrong with yours and treating it. But just because someone else's recommendations don't work for you doesn't mean their advice is "stupid".

I don't think the idea of only using water to wash your face (or at least, not using cleansers every time you wash) is stupid.

I would never have thought of not using cleansers, but I was shocked to discover that when both my friends with the most amazing skin say they are going to "wash" their faces, they mean, just splash water on them. I mean, the one girl, who has that phenom. glow only like 1% of the world has, would only "wash" her face once a day, with only water!

But, as for irritating advice:

EVERY time I say I'm having skin problems-even when I'm speaking to people who have worse skin problems than I do- they ALWAYS ask if I'm cleaning my cell phone, or touching my face.

Yeah, I KNOW!

I mean, you seriously think I'm smearing my hands and cell all over my face at this point? You don't think I would have thought of that?

I hate how everyone seems to think they are some kind of expert on getting rid of pimples, like it's a common sense problem on my part. Such BS!

K, that was my rant for the day :rolleyes:

use proactiv, my brother said this when i was going to go on accutane, first of all i already tried it and it didn't work. just because it worked for him doesn't mean it will work for me.

use pee

eat some soup my dad, he made soup and told me to eat it because i needed to fix my skin. he was just trying to get me to eat his soup.

don't eat grapefruit.

get off all chemical products

'DON'T EAT GRAPEFRUIT"

why? anything wrong with that?

I don't think the idea of only using water to wash your face (or at least, not using cleansers every time you wash) is stupid.

I would never have thought of not using cleansers, but I was shocked to discover that when both my friends with the most amazing skin say they are going to "wash" their faces, they mean, just splash water on them. I mean, the one girl, who has that phenom. glow only like 1% of the world has, would only "wash" her face once a day, with only water!

But, as for irritating advice:

EVERY time I say I'm having skin problems-even when I'm speaking to people who have worse skin problems than I do- they ALWAYS ask if I'm cleaning my cell phone, or touching my face.

Yeah, I KNOW!

I mean, you seriously think I'm smearing my hands and cell all over my face at this point? You don't think I would have thought of that?

I hate how everyone seems to think they are some kind of expert on getting rid of pimples, like it's a common sense problem on my part. Such BS!

K, that was my rant for the day :rolleyes:

i know . i hate it when people assume that i ONLY eat fast food. or that i don't wash my face.

its not like i don't want to have clear skin. everytime that i go out to eat. people say that i shouldn't order that. shouldn't eat or drink that. :wall: everytime when people say something like that. it make me do the opposite. don't you hate it when people do that ?

I'm sure it's been said before, but the idea that CHOCOLATE and sweet foods cause it. My mom is constantly telling me this as if she's a dermatologist or something, and my DAD even has said it once. Ugh. And my skin isn't even really bad, I just have red marks!

Also that I shouldn't use any sort of cleanser, but just cleanse with water and moisturize. Or that my mineral makeup is causing my skin problems. This is all from my mom. lol.

Actually, I find that half true. my dad put me in a diet that didn't allow white sugar (as well as white flour, white rice, potatoes, and fried foods. pretty much anything that is refined) but I can eat things with natural sugars.

I break out when I eat a hersey bar but when I eat a whole bag of licorice candy made with raw sugar it doesn't effect me at all.

I got a roommate whos advance for my acne was "Keep popping it and it'll go away" Yeah with scars.

The guy who said that has tons of scars. I kinda want to salvage, not destroy.

There's a little truth in almost everyone's advice, no matter how dumb it may seem ....

Everyone's skin is different. Certain factors (diet, for example) affect some people more than others. Products have different effects on different people's skins.

There are just so many factors that go into skin health .... it's all a question of identifying what's gone wrong with yours and treating it. But just because someone else's recommendations don't work for you doesn't mean their advice is "stupid".

Yeah, this is a good point. Everyone's skin is different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.

The one thing that bothers me though is when people post treatments or "cures" that have no medical evidence backing them up, but state that it is a proven treatment. Especially when it involves fad diets, megadosing on vitamins, or recommending someone else stop using all their medications to try the supposed miracle cure.

Yeah, this is a good point. Everyone's skin is different and what works for one person may not work for someone else.

The one thing that bothers me though is when people post treatments or "cures" that have no medical evidence backing them up, but state that it is a proven treatment. Especially when it involves fad diets, megadosing on vitamins, or recommending someone else stop using all their medications to try the supposed miracle cure.

Damn Right that pisses me off also! :evil:

Exercising is bad for acne ? Wow I think this is the dumbest thread I've ever seen on a messageboard.

When you think of a healthy person, do you really picture a guy who sits down at home on a couch watching TV ?

Have you even gone to a gym lately? You'll see all the most beautiful people there, I'm GUESSING there might be a reason for that. Wow, I think the worse advice I've seen on any thread would be "Don't exercise!"

What an oxymoron this thread is.

I excersize regularly and have crappy skin. My sister was an athlete in high school, size 8, eating right, with acne.

really? i thought that sweat had no effects on acne.... or maybe thats just back acne or something?

some random guy on the street told me that urine was good for it. and me like a bloody idiot, willing to try anything to see improvements, did it. BS!!!! now, im thinking that *sshole (pardon) did it to skrew me over! :evil:

EWWW COMMON! Are you serious? First of all, you had the guts to dip your fingers/cotton ball or whatever you used into your own urine and put that on your face? Second, why would you trust a random guy on the street? Thirdly, GROSS.

1. Just rinse your face with water.

2. Diet/Lifestyle has no effect on the skin.

Maybe not for you, but for many people diet and lifestyle is a HUGE factor. I drink/eat anything wtih caffeine in it and I have the Rockie Mountains on my face a few days later. Never fails.

I would think exercising would be good for your pores because then, ud be clearing it out? no?

I dunno, but to think that just excersize will clear it all up is kinda lame. I know you can get zits from working out too...I get them under my sports bra on my back sometimes.

I don't think exercising helps/encourages either way.

I think if you don't shower/wash after exercising you might have a problem. I asked my derm about this once because I thought exercising was causing my cyst's. He told me no. Of course when I went through bout's of not exercising I still got cyst's. So there ya go.

that made me smile when I read it...hah. I guess you learned not to beleive a random guy on the street exspecially if he just mentioning urinating