Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fire_starter

topical isotretinoin

did anyone use it? I wonder whether it tackles oil production... apparently it's the only retinoid which does that so I'm just curious if applaying it on the skin reduces amount of sebum?

It doesn't work any better than Retin-A, but it's much more irritating, according to the info i've read.

hmm... but it might be an answer for my oily skin, from (http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/30003721/) "It is used to treat acne and works by reducing the production of sebum, the oily substance produced by the skin." cool.. first topical which affects seba glands.

I dunno, the info on the page doesn't seem real credible. This is from the data sheet on Isotrex.

The pharmacological action of isotretinoin remains to be fully elucidated. When used systemically it suppresses sebaceous gland activity and reduces sebum production. It also affects comedogenesis, suppresses Propionibacterium acnes and reduces inflammation.

When applied topically, the mode of action of isotretinoin is probably comparable with its stereoisomer, tretinoin. Tretinoin stimulates mitosis in the epidermis and reduces intercellular cohesion in the stratum corneum. It contests the hyperkeratosis characteristic of acne vulgaris and aids desquamation, preventing the formation of lesions. Tretinoin also mediates an increased production of less cohesive epidermal sebaceous cells. This appears to promote the initial expulsion and subsequent prevention of comedones.