Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stepup

Aaron's Accutane Log - FINISHED!

Like most people here, I'm finally getting to Accutane after trying everything else known to man. My acne is mostly on my back and neck. My face has been fairly clear for a while, but used to be a problem. I've been fighting this war since I was 14. Since I was able to hide my acne for the most part I never tried that hard to get rid of it ... until now.

I had my first appointment with the dermatologist and blood work done on the same day. iPledge and prescription taken care of by the end of the next day (16th) and I had my first pills on the 17th.

Day 1 :: 11/17

Didn't notice any changes.

Day 2 :: 11/18

Mouth felt a bit dry when I woke up in the AM. No other noticeable changes

Day 3 :: 11/19

Had a slight headache this morning, mouth felt dry again.

Day 4 :: 11/20

Face is starting to dry out a bit on my cheeks, nose and around my lips - put some lotion on. Lips are fine so far, but I'm sure the dryness is coming...

Day 5 :: 11/21

Another headache this morning, went away after about 30min. Mouth still feeling dry in the AM. Face was even more dry than yesterday - put more lotion on. So far I haven't noticed any major changes other than the dryness on my face in the morning. No new zits since Day 1 (which is rare) .

Day 6 :: 11/22

No headaches today, dryness on my face has stopped probably because I've been using moisturizer in the mornings. Only thing bugging me is that I burned the roof of my mouth on a hot burrito at lunch yesterday - ouch! Lips are still fine. Just opened up a new 10-pack of pills today! Only 19 more packs to go (5-mo)!

Hey man, good luck, hopefully the Accutane will finally get rid of all your acne.

Thanks for the encouragement Danno, I've read through your log and it sounds like mine so far ... "same" It's all still so early for me so who knows what's to come. I hope you start seeing some changes soon!

Hey Aaron!

How's it going so far? Ya the dryness sucks but its better than oil!! blehhhhh. I'm doing alright so far, I'm the exact opposite of you though, my body is sppppottttless (knock on wood), and actually my acne was pretty mild till recently. But let's hope this gets rid of it whereever for both of us! :pray:

Happy Gobble Gobble dayyy!

Thanks Niki and Sara for stopping in, it's great knowing other people are on this crazy pill at the same time.

Day 7 :: 11/23

Thanksgiving was great! No headaches, a little dry skin on my nose and around my lips. Lips are doing fine still. Eyes are a bit dry but nothing a drop or two of Visine can't handle.

Day 8 :: 11/24

I stood outside in the cold for 8 hours with some buddies for some black friday shopping. I think it might have started my lips to do their thing, I can tell they're starting to get a bit dry now :(

My skin is really clearing up, I was with a friend who was getting some new glasses and I was trying on glasses just for fun and looking in their mirrors when I really noticed that my skin was getting better. No sign of the IB yet, which scares me a bit since I'm starting to clear up pretty well. I don't think I've been this clear in years. The few new bumps coming up seem to be weaker and have gone away a lot faster.

Hey hun! It's good to hear you're doing well and that you're seeing some improvement already!! :dance:

I'm especially glad that IB is staying away from you...that's the worst part for me right now is going through the nasty IB bs. I'm on day 18 now, and my doc says that things will get better after this next week and a half so im just trying to be patient and not pick!! Sometimes I think it's nastier not to pick than pick...but I guess for the long run it's better not to. :wall:

Anyway, How was your thanksgiving? Thanks for stopping by to check on me by the way. sooo sweet. I'm glad I've got some tane buddies to talk me through this too. Who knew pimples could be so hard??

Hey sara, it is great to see things happening (other than flaking skin/lips). It's gotta be the calm before the storm, right? Maybe I'll get lucky and just skip the IB all together.

Day 9 :: 11/25

So today was pretty much the same as the last few. I have a slight dull headache right now, but these seem to go away after I drink a bunch of water. Time to go chug....

Day 10 :: 11/26

I just finished off my second pack of pills! Everything is drying out nicely still. My lips seem to have recovered; it must have been from being out in the cold the other day - although they're definately dryer all around than normal.

Today was a lazy day and I didn't get out of bed until around noon. Normally my face and hair would be pretty oily, but today it was nice and dry, like I had just taken a shower. My eyes have really started to dry out, I'm a Software Engineer so I stare at computer monitors all day long and they used to dry up on me before accutane, now I'm dropping eye drops every few hours it seems.

Today I'll finish my second pack too!!! HOLLAAAA!!! loll

Looks like you're doing well! Load up on the carmex for ur lips. my lips have yet to give me any problems because of all the chap stick I've been putting on them, it really works!

cheers to clear days ahead!

Sara, I just been using regular ChapStick® brand . I started putting it on the first day just to be safe. I can't stand having it on my lips, but I'm getting adjusted - makes me look like I'm wearing lipstick. They seem to be holding up fine lately, but if it gets worse I may switch to something like Carmex

Day 11 :: 11/27

Today was fun, had to shovel a 3 ft snow drift out of my driveway in 19 degree (-1 w/wind chill) temps. I was worried the cold would attack my lips, but it left them and my skin just fine. Headaches are gone it seems, haven't noticed my mouth being dry in the mornings any more. A couple new bumps on my neck, but it's still less than normal. Blackheads are starting to fade into oblivion on my nose and the trouble spots on my chest. I've been drinking a lot more fluids lately, so I think that might be helping with my headaches a bit.

Day 12 :: 11/28

Today was an interesting day. I was snowed in again with nearly a 4ft drift in my driveway - the driveway I had just shoveled yesterday, damn wind! I didn't much feel like shoveling it again this morning, my back was still sore from yesterday, so I decided to just work from home.

[attachmentid=6865]

So, I go to take a shower and NO HOT WATER!! Hot water pipes froze over night :( I had a conference call I had to attend so I had to post pone fixing it right away. So finally, after crawling under my house with a hair dryer thawing the pipes for nearly 2 hours I got my hot water back and no cracked pipes! So what does this have to do with my acne? Well, not a whole lot, but I did notice that my hair and skin weren't oily at all - not too bad for not getting a shower for nearly 30 hours!

post-48236-1164761242_thumb.jpg

Day 13 :: 11/29

So today I'm starting to see possible signs of the IB coming. Some flair ups in my problem areas. Hopefully it doesn't get too carried away. My face is dry and peeling a bit more than usual today.

oh no snow!! No snow here yet lol. But isnt it great not to feel oily?? I love that part.

I hope the little breakout your having stays little. No matter what it'll come and then go and you'll be done with that "phase" of this weirdo little pill. I'm struggling with it myself, but I'm sure that there are better days ahead. Chapstick is good too. All the same stuff really. it kindof makes my lips look extra pink too but im not complaining lol.

keep on keepin!

Ya, we've had a nasty winter storm roll through. It's gone now at least, but the snow will take a while to melt away.

Day 14 :: 11/30

So today has been pretty uneventful. The IB I thought was blooming decided to chill out and things seem to be fading away. It's amazing how fast these newbies come and go, even the big ones. Here's hopin the IB stays away...

Day 15 :: 12/1 (wow, December already!)

Same as yesterday, nothing new, nothing really changed. Face is still dry and flakey in places. I've got this one nagging spot on the corner of my mouth where a tiny little one came up right when I started taking accutane. It's having a hell of a time going away since that area has been super dry and keeps cracking :( I had a sandwich today that was pretty thick and it hurt to open wide to take a bite.

YAY! FRIDAY! Time to get out of the office!

Day 16 :: 12/2

Started a new pack of pills today, flying through 'em taking 2/day. Still drying out nicely other than the spots around my lips peeling like crazy. I hope the IB stays away for a while with the holiday season here I've been invited to 5 parties in the next 3 weeks and wouldn't mind being clear for them.

Day 17 12/3

So today I noticed my neck/back starting to dry out - which is where I need it! I know it's only 17 days in, but I think I may be able to avoid this whole IB thing *fingers crossed*. I'm probably just getting cocky though. 1st holiday party went smooth last night, I guess my face is getting a bit red from the accutane because a few people asked if I had been tanning. A little color doesn't hurt I suppose, during the winter I usually get a bit pale.

I'm off to get supplies, having the guys over to watch the game...GO SEAHAWKS!

Go Seahawks???? YOU'RE SO WHACKKKKK!!! lol what a big seahawk lover loserrrr. :lol:

GO SKINSSSSSSSSSS

You might want jump on the Hawks bandwagon, the Skins season is already over with :boohoo:

So I wrote up a nice long post for yesterday and forgot to submit it, or something. :wall:

Day 17 :: 12/4

Went for a run, and I felt it afterwards. Sure I hadn't done that distance in a while but my back and knees were way more sore than I expected.

Skin was super flaky! It drove me crazy all day, I didn't have any lotion with me at work so I just had to suffer.

Day 18 :: 12/5

Got some lotion on today, but the skin around my lips is getting worse - the lotion is helping a bit. Still pretty sore from yesterday's run.

Edited by stepup

do u put any carmex or other lip balm on? my knees are starting to hurt me too and i'm only on day 6.

My initial joint pain wasn't caused by exercise, it was just there during the first week or so. That part seems to have gone away (or at least lessened). Now they just get really sore from exercise.

I just switched to a new lip balm that seems to work a lot better than what I was using before:

IPB Image