Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Waynerooney

Tanning is okay

Just because you got lucky and didn't get burned doesn't make it OK.

And you have no idea what level of damage you really did since the damage won't become evident for years down the road, but exposure when UV sensitivity is increased is a huge gamble, even more so that it is normally.

yeah, but on accutane you could burn in like 5 minutes!

or you can be totally normal, but unless you know for sure, tanning should be avoided

plus, if you are a dude, it's kinda funny when you fake and bake..... it always looks...... silly ;)

plus, if you are a dude, it's kinda funny when you fake and bake..... it always looks...... silly ;)

Well, it looks funny if you overdo it. the trick is to bake a little so you just look healthy, not tanned. however, consider the long term effects. apparently it increases the risk of getting skin cancer (on top of the usual risk) if you are on accutane. do a search on tanning and see the comment of another user who got skin cancer, cant remember where now.

why take the chance? I've had skin cancer that resulted in the near loss of a toe so why take the risk? I had never gotten burned there either, but the sun exposure was still enough to cause cancer. Don't be stupid! I had this before accutane so now that I"m on it, there is absolutely NO way you'd get me to stay in the sunlight long enough to get a tan of any kind. It's only a few months and it's during the WINTER so why not just wait it out. The risk isn't worth it just to get a tan. seriously!

It´s okay to use tanning beds.

I go 1-2 a week and I take in Accutane, I´ve got tan and I´m not dead.

Well, coz accutane strips the skin of all its oil, then when your out in the sun or tan beds or whatever, the skin can burn soo fast as there is no natural oil there to protect it. Id just say dont play with fire, ya know. :naughty::think:

Here here!

Tanned skin means damaged skin. End of! There is nothing healthy about brown skin. Picture what happens to a turkey when it goes golden brown in the oven. The skin goes hard on the outside, it dries up and wrinkles up a bit. And on the inside all the meat is roasted and hardened. Thats whats happening to you when you tan. Irreversible damage.

Stay safe, stay fake!!!

when you tan, first your skin gets red and then it gets tan. why? b/c first you damage your skin with UV rays and then your skin repairs itself by surrounding the cell nuclei with melanin. UV light causes thiamine dimers to form in your DNA. if you are lucky, your body will repair all the damage correctly. if not, yuo may or may not get a mutation in a gene that regulates cell growth. tanning involves forming melanin granules around the nuclei of your cells to protect them from the damaging UV rays. (thus, people who tan easier get fewer skin cancers b/c their skin is better at protecting their nuclei from UV damage).

back to accutane though: drugs such as accutane and tetracycline antibiotics (minocycline, doxycycline, tetracycline) all give patients a propensity for sunburns. this means they impair your body's ability to respond to the damage caused by UV light. ==> SKIN CANCER

the moral of the story is DO NOT GO TO A TANNING BED ON ACCUTANE. THE DAMAGE TO YOUR SKIN MAY ONLY BE EVIDENT YEARS DOWN THE ROAD IN THE FORM OF SKIN CANCER.

Here here!

Tanned skin means damaged skin. End of! There is nothing healthy about brown skin. Picture what happens to a turkey when it goes golden brown in the oven. The skin goes hard on the outside, it dries up and wrinkles up a bit. And on the inside all the meat is roasted and hardened. Thats whats happening to you when you tan. Irreversible damage.

Stay safe, stay fake!!!

WWWHHHAAT?!?!?!!?!! completely shocking, how can one say that taning is bad for you? if you dont go out into the sun your body cannot produce VITAL life dependant chemicals for living a proper life, its things like that that make this country (usa) such a fat place to live) when you go in the sun your body produces vitamins and dopamine (or possibly seretonin) and without that you cannot live dopaamine/seretonin are what regulate your bodies functions (in a way not directly but inderectly they do) i understand that if you constantly go out and stay tanning for 2 hours at a time yes but otherwise NO go tan , and the spray on stuff all that is is chemicals that stains your skin why put paint on yourskin, go outside and lay down it makes you happy and promotes healthy production of vitamins/chemicals

Burnt/Tanned skin is a fact of life, if you're worried about dying or wrinkling up, stay inside all your life and be a pastey fella.

Guest Locked In Grace

Here here!

Stay safe, stay fake!!!

WWWHHHAAT?!?!?!!?!! completely shocking, how can one say that taning is bad for you? if you dont go out into the sun your body cannot produce VITAL life dependant chemicals for living a proper life, its things like that that make this country (usa) such a fat place to live) when you go in the sun your body produces vitamins and dopamine (or possibly seretonin) and without that you cannot live dopaamine/seretonin are what regulate your bodies functions (in a way not directly but inderectly they do) i understand that if you constantly go out and stay tanning for 2 hours at a time yes but otherwise NO go tan , and the spray on stuff all that is is chemicals that stains your skin why put paint on yourskin, go outside and lay down it makes you happy and promotes healthy production of vitamins/chemicals

No, mild UV exposure does that. Tanning is a whole different kettle of fish. And you still absorb most of the good wavelengths with sunscreen on.

Here here!

Stay safe, stay fake!!!

That's like saying you need some diet in your life, so you should eat a pound of cookies everyday to make sure you get enough "fat intake." Yes, sunlight is essential to help with SOME aspects of our body, but everything needs to be done in moderation. too much of ANYTHING is too much, and tanning is TOO much sun.

It really is important to get some natural light each day -- as the body requires it in order to process vitamin D etc. *However* -- the amount of this light required for benefit is quite small. Exposing just your hands and face for a few minutes outside, even on a cloudy day, is totally appropriate. Don't quote me on exposure time or anything about latitude, as I'm up north, eh...

I'm a fair-skinned, fair-haired, dark-eyed person -- so I generally burn only if I overdo it. I am outside a lot, so I must take care in the sun. However, I used to use tanning beds twice a week because it (temporarily) lessened the severity of my acne, or that at least the acne would look less lousy in contrast afterward. I was hooked -- I loved the warm glow I felt and also felt that it improved my mood. [it also helped to decrease the contrast of my cycling shorts / jersey / helmet-strap tanlines ... but that, I can live with.]

The absolute coolest thing I notice now, after two months on Accutane, is that I have no desire to use tanning beds anymore! The tanning thing was all about my acne, and was largely psychological. My skin now looks great (thank you, Roche :pray: ), pale as it may be (it has been raining cats and dogs here for weeks :D ) I am also grateful to know that I have stopped doing something that I knew all all along was damaging my skin and aging my appearance. I honestly feel that my skin looks younger after a record number of weeks (for me) away from tanning beds after years of using them. The crow's feet around my eyes are barely noticeable anymore, and my skin feels so very silky.

Accutane is making me much more aware of my skin and how fabulous its inner workings are. Our bodies are wonderful things, and we should honour, pamper, and respect them as much as possible. I am now convinced that tanning beds are simply not for me. There's nothing better than a natural flush and glowing skin from some outdoor fun (or indoor fun for those of you with partners :wub: ). Take care of your beloved skin -- it will be soft and glowing and beautiful for years to come if you wean yourselves from those things that are proven to damage it.

Sorry for coming across as preachy. I'm just so grateful for Accutane right now and happy for all of you who are on the same track. Take good care!

~M~

i dont know if its good on accutane, but tanning every 1-2 weeks is actually good... my friends mother is an estatision (sp?) and she said that it helps exfoliate and keeps the skin healthy.

Your friend's mother the aesthetician is full of it. Tanning is not good for your skin - but if you tan you keep her in business as she gets to schedule lots of peels and such as her clients try desperately to undo the extra UV damage that they incurred from tanning.

Tanning and sun exposure are 2 very different things. If you slap on a bit of suncream and go out in the sun, then you can get all the vitamins and dopamines or whatever your body needs. You don't have to damage your skin to do this.