Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndOceans109

info about tazora vs. accutane?

hey every1, i've been on dan's bp reg for almost a year..works good with keeping the active down, but makes my face generally discolored..in the past i've been on 2 long courses of accutane, bactrim (which had to stop because of the side effects and wish i never took), and everything else...my friend has been on tazorac, and his face is perfect now..questions is, is tazorac similar to accutane? i ask because i had to stop accutane because of the side effects. would there be any chance that taz gets absorbed in the skin and would cause any side effects that accutane does?

hey every1, i've been on dan's bp reg for almost a year..works good with keeping the active down, but makes my face generally discolored..in the past i've been on 2 long courses of accutane, bactrim (which had to stop because of the side effects and wish i never took), and everything else...my friend has been on tazorac, and his face is perfect now..questions is, is tazorac similar to accutane? i ask because i had to stop accutane because of the side effects. would there be any chance that taz gets absorbed in the skin and would cause any side effects that accutane does?

It's similar in that it will cause you to break out initially. It ill also give you dry skin and a burning sensation when you first start using it - this will go away after about a month. It won't give you the other accutane side effects like dry eyes, lips, joint pain etc.

yeah i know all about the initial 4-6 wks and all that...just hoping it is not absorbed and will have any internal effects like accutane..so 0% is absorbed? or a little percentage...also, since accutane didnt really work for me (only slightly, and came right back after i stopped it), would taz? keep in mind, the only things that worked for me are bactrim (way to stong to take anymore), and dan'd bp reg (which sucks because of the horrible discoloration and redness)? never gave topical retinoids a good chance yet..

If you're talking about the topical cream, which i think is the only form there is, there are no side effects, really. It's not as though it really IS accutane. I've used it for a while, and the only thing that has happened to me is peeling, and itch. Other than that its okay, i didn't get great result with it, but hey, you might be different.

i read somewhere that around 6% is absorbed.. i just dont want any internal side effects, as im pretty sure i was gettin some psychological effects around the end of my 2nd accutane course.. since accutane worked only slightly for me, and bp works (but major discoloration) and bactrim, do you think taz would work? or recommend anything else topical? i'm not touching antibiotics since the bactrim..

nah...taz is great!! my derm actually told me that its like accutane but in topical form..just without the side effects!! i have been on it for a while now and now icky side effects like accutane...but it works great...u should try it..and who knows maybe retinoids are your answer!! good luck!!

Guest molly_jean_comments

If you are a person who tends toward depression (before taking retinoids) and have psychotic and suicidal ideations due to Accutane, DO NOT take tazorac or any other retinoid. That happened to me. I have been on tazorac and now I am developing suicidal ideation and psychosis; its very scary. When I am off retinoids I do not have psychosis at all. I am allergic to retinoids. This is rare but I am having the same side effects from tazorac as I did with Accutane. Hopefully by sharing my story here I will prevent this from happening to SOME other people.

If you are a person who tends toward depression (before taking retinoids) and have psychotic and suicidal ideations due to Accutane, DO NOT take tazorac or any other retinoid. That happened to me. I have been on tazorac and now I am developing suicidal ideation and psychosis; its very scary. When I am off retinoids I do not have psychosis at all. I am allergic to retinoids. This is rare but I am having the same side effects from tazorac as I did with Accutane. Hopefully by sharing my story here I will prevent this from happening to SOME other people.

where's the proof that retinoids like tazorac causes suicidal thoughts?

which i'm on now........and sorry no suicidal thoughts or mood swings here.

HELLO! I was talking about ME! That was MY experience! It is a rare side effect but for some people it does cause depression, suicidal ideation, and psychosis. I only get it when I take retinoids like Accutane and Tazorac.

HELLO! I was talking about ME! That was MY experience! It is a rare side effect but for some people it does cause depression, suicidal ideation, and psychosis. I only get it when I take retinoids like Accutane and Tazorac.

YES, are you sure it's a side effect and not from something else? I looked on there website and they don't

mention anything like that. www.tazorac.com unless im blind

YES, are you sure it's a side effect and not from something else? I looked on there website and they don't

i agree fuman. i've never heard anything like this before about any topical retinoid...not even that it's a potential, even if rare, side effect, and i also used taz a few years ago myself.

also, a few other points, taz is NOT topical accutane. Taz is pretty strong though - most people who try it can't handle it - it'll dry out your skin pretty quickly and pretty badly and you'll be all kinds of red...however, the few people that it works for absolutely love it.

Yes I am positive. I am allergic to retinoids and it probably doesnt say it because after all it is a rare side effect.

"Isotretinoin (Accutane) and tazarotene (Tazorac) can have serious side effects. Women who take isotretinoin or tazarotene need to use an effective birth control method to avoid having a baby with serious birth defects. Recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research division warned that Accutane may cause depression, psychosis, and, rarely, suicidal thoughts or attempts. Talk to your doctor about depression and Accutane to decide whether it is right for you. If you are taking Accutane and feel depressed, see your doctor for treatment." I found that here health.yahoo.com/topic/skinconditions/medications/article/healthwise/hw199711 - 34k -

It doesnt talk about tazorac having psychosis and depression but they are both retinoids and I had the same exact reaction to tazorac as I did to accutane. Exact same. Never in my life had that ever happened to me before and when the Accutane was out of my system the psychosis went away. Now I have to get the tazorac out of my system which should be 3-4 days.

yeah, i was on 2 long courses of accutane, and had to stop with the 2nd course because i was getting wierd stuff going on in my head. not suicidal stuff, just wierd anxiety stuff, and i also started getting panic attacks around the same time..kinda hesitant to start it, idk if i want to..dan's bp works good for preventing actives, but the discoloration/redness is horrible!! idk what to do. im tryin to get off this makeup but i cant with dan's bp

yeah, i was on 2 long courses of accutane, and had to stop with the 2nd course because i was getting wierd stuff going on in my head. not suicidal stuff, just wierd anxiety stuff, and i also started getting panic attacks around the same time..kinda hesitant to start it, idk if i want to..dan's bp works good for preventing actives, but the discoloration/redness is horrible!! idk what to do. im tryin to get off this makeup but i cant with dan's bp

I really wouldnt recommend the Accutane because its just too risky. I would just recommend you use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser. I gather you are a female and would totally recommend Yasmin birthcontrol pills; they really regular your periods and make your face acne free :) Ive been on them before (went off of them because my periods were finally regular but that past four months have been really irregular and I believe my acne is hormonal) and am gonna start up again when my next period starts. What do you mean youre trying to get off this makeup?

Sorry your taking it out of context please don't misinform

that Accutane may cause depression, psychosis, and, rarely, suicidal thoughts or attempts.

Sorry your taking it out of context please don't misinform

that Accutane may cause depression, psychosis, and, rarely, suicidal thoughts or attempts.

Don't you think there have been studies on tazorac , retina , duac and all the other gels, yes they're both retinoids but one is taking internally , while the other is taken topically. There two TOTALLY different things. Don't you think it's weird they don't even have the same side effects either?

Oh , and the quote said ACCUTANE not the topical retinoids. I'm sorry but I don't like it when people spread

baseless information. If you have concrete facts yeah ok.

Why are you contradicting everything I write?! It doesnt matter if Tazorac is a topical; it can still get into your blood stream! It may not make you depressed, give you psychosis or suicidal ideation but for me it does, okay! Damn! I am having the same weird thoughts I ahd when I was on Accutane. I read somewhere that if you are allergic to Accutane you MIGHT also be allergic to Tazorac as they both are retinoids!

My dad, my mom, and I all work in the medical field. We know about these things. My dad is a paramedic, my mom is an RN and I to work in a nursing home.

Why are you contradicting everything I write?! It doesnt matter if Tazorac is a topical; it can still get into your blood stream! It may not make you depressed, give you psychosis or suicidal ideation but for me it does, okay! Damn! I am having the same weird thoughts I ahd when I was on Accutane. I read somewhere that if you are allergic to Accutane you MIGHT also be allergic to Tazorac as they both are retinoids!

im contradicting everything your saying because your contradicting yourself in alot of your statements, but you never did say you were on accutane, so maybe your still having lingering affects from that and NOT tazorac

im not trying to be mean or anything just like to state facts and not just word of mouth

people tick me off that try to spread false rumors on here is all, and i've heard too many. It's nothing against you personally

im sorry you've had to go through that though.........I mean I was on accutane and I had those weird mind states while on it........so Im with ya there.

I was on Accutane my senior year in high school and I didnt start having psychosis and depression again until I started the tazorac one month ago! STOP ASSUMING THINGS! I am now 22 years old. You tick me off when you fight with me for no reason! Trust me; that is not a rumor. I do not spread rumors because it hurts people feelings and I for one am a very sensitve person who hates rumors. Why would I spread a rumor about the effect a retinoid had on me............................

I really wouldnt recommend the Accutane because its just too risky. I would just recommend you use Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser. I gather you are a female and would totally recommend Yasmin birthcontrol pills; they really regular your periods and make your face acne free :) Ive been on them before (went off of them because my periods were finally regular but that past four months have been really irregular and I believe my acne is hormonal) and am gonna start up again when my next period starts. What do you mean youre trying to get off this makeup?

lol molly, i'm male, not female..trying to get off it, because i've been experimenting for years to find a good one that doesnt break me out (which most do including bare minerals and everyday minerals) and looks fairly natural, which i've done, but it's just a pain to have to do it everyday and i dont wanna have to put makeup on everyday anymore.. dan's regimen works pretty well for preventing actives for me, but i have severe panda eyes from it! as it makes my skin generally discolored like i went tanning for a wk straight, and the redness.. i dont think im gonna risk trying tazorac now that i think about it. dont wanna chance getting the wierd stuff in my head that accutane did to me at the end..

I was on Accutane my senior year in high school and I didnt start having psychosis and depression again until I started the tazorac one month ago! STOP ASSUMING THINGS! I am now 22 years old. You tick me off when you fight with me for no reason! Trust me; that is not a rumor. I do not spread rumors because it hurts people feelings and I for one am a very sensitve person who hates rumors. Why would I spread a rumor about the effect a retinoid had on me............................

na fuman, you're wrong..i've been trying to decide for a month now whether or not to try it..has nothing to do with who ever else saying whatever they say about it.. i read somewhere myself that 6% is absorbed..if i saw that even .1% was absorbed, i wouldnt start it. the anxiety stuff that was going on with accutane wasnt cool, and i dont wanna risk anything like that again, esp at the stage i am in my life now.. i'm gonna search the web for a little and see if i can find anything else

You should stop assuming things to then? Assuming that tazorac caused depression and psychosis........and im arguing not fighting with you they are two different things

and im arguing with you for good reasons, rumors are based on rumors not actual facts sometimes

and look what you caused oceans109 to do.........paranoid now because of your POSSIBLE side effect

Im not assuming anything! I will reitterate this. Tazorac caused depression and psychosis FOR ME! It is the only thing that has change in my life and I am having the same exact thoughts as I did with the Accutane because THEY ARE BOTH RETINOIDS and I AM ALLERGIC TO THEM! It doesnt matter if its a topical! They are both retinoids and topicals can still get into your bloodstream! I am not saying it happens to most people. Im just saying that it happened to ME!

Go away and leave me alone!

You should stop assuming things to then? Assuming that tazorac caused depression and psychosis........and im arguing not fighting with you they are two different things

and im arguing with you for good reasons, rumors are based on rumors not actual facts sometimes

and look what you caused oceans109 to do.........paranoid now because of your POSSIBLE side effect

Im not assuming anything! I will reitterate this. Tazorac caused depression and psychosis FOR ME! I am not saying it happens to most people. Im just saying that it happened to ME!

Now shut up and leave me alone!

shut up and leave me alone? that's a nice way of putting it

but whatever fine with me

actually, i thank you molly jean.

Youre welcome :)