Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spikeyli

Grapeseed oil

I am using it to replace the jojoba oil I've been using. So far fantastic results, I'll keep you guys updated. It definitely mixes much better with the essential oils.

There are definitely several key differences

1) grapeseed oil is much lighter than the jojoba and emu oil, so it is completely absorbed into the skin very quickly. Unlike jojoba oil, it does not leave a shiny film.

2) it mixes with the essential oil much better, and I find that I get much quicker results from using the grapeseed oil. Not that jojoba wasn't good, but at times I find it a bit heavy and competes with the effects of the essential oils. With the grapeseed oil, it allows even greater penetration into the skin and allows the essential oil to its full effect

3) Unlike the emu oil, the grapeseed oil is 100% plant derived, it has no smell or odor

4) The grapeseed oil that I use has vitamin e mixed in, which gives extra help with the scarring area. I got much quicker healing from the scarring from the grapeseed than jojoba

5) there is no purging period using the grapeseed oil, woohoo!

6) it is just as moisturing as the other two oils, but this one you can actually use it on your face as moisturizer. I find it compliments my skin care instead of trying to over power it.

I just went to drugstore.com, and they have it, and it comes with vitamin E too. is this the one you use? also, the price is not bad. ive heard that E. Oils are supposed to be quite pricey, I guess thats just Tea Treaa Oil....

Grapeseed Oil

my moisterizer has grapeseed extract in it it makes my skin all glowy i bet grapeseed oil would be beter i think i am going to check this out ! :think:

Grapeseed extract may not be the same as grapeseed oil, it could be done in a complete different process. My interpretation of grapeseed extract can be anything from the ground up seeds to the oil in the seeds. Grapeseed oil is concentrated oil within the grapeseed, it's much more expensive and requires a completely different extraction method.

I have it in one of of aromatherapy links that grapeseed oil has a shelf life of 3-6 months. Does it say in the bottle when it expires?

If it has vitamin E which is an anti-oxidant, it should extend its shelf life, but I wouldn't know for how long. This is important for me since I never get to finish a bottle of whatever I buy lol...

I have it in one of of aromatherapy links that grapeseed oil has a shelf life of 3-6 months. Does it say in the bottle when it expires?

If it has vitamin E which is an anti-oxidant, it should extend its shelf life, but I wouldn't know for how long. This is important for me since I never get to finish a bottle of whatever I buy lol...

straight grapeseed oil does have a shelf life of 3-6 months on average, if you put it in a brown glass drop bottle and store in a dark place you can make the shelf life last longer. Mine has vitamin e mixed in and has an expiration date of 1 year. But that said, I use it everywhere, not just my face, so it'll be used up soon. In fact, my face is the one place I use it least because I don't want to coat it with oil.

Thanks for the info on this! Will be trying it out too! I need a good moisturizer more natural wise for my dry legs. I've been using a lotion but don't like how I have to wait a while for it to absorb.

Thanks again and will let you all know how it goes! I find that the Grapeseed Oil is much cheaper than Jojoba Oil!

Spikeyli, what do you mix in with your grapeseed oil?

Depends, if I want to make an acne mix, I put some acne fighting essential oil with the grapeseed oil and dab to make the pimple go away. If I just want to moisturize, I don't mix it with anything. For the body, if I want to smell nice while using the grapeseed oil, I put a drop of lavender and chamomile for the fragrance.

hmmm interesting. i wonder if eating it does anything. my family used only grapeseed oil yesterday for the thanksgiving cooking. lol. random...but i had noticed the bottle and was like "huh, interesting."

Spikeyli, what do you mix in with your grapeseed oil?

Depends, if I want to make an acne mix, I put some acne fighting essential oil with the grapeseed oil and dab to make the pimple go away. If I just want to moisturize, I don't mix it with anything. For the body, if I want to smell nice while using the grapeseed oil, I put a drop of lavender and chamomile for the fragrance.

What acne fighting essential oil?

I'm really liking grapeseed oil. A year ago if someone told me to put "oil" on my face, I would've freaked out. However, grapeseed oil has a very low pore-clogging probability, and it has been shown to be very beneficial especially to oilier skin types. I don't apply a bunch directly to my face... I like to mix a few big drops with another kind of moisturizer (like Aloe Vera Gel). So far my skin is looking very good and my spots are healing. I break out in my chin area most of the time. Right now my skin is very calm, and my current blemishes I have are disappearing. So far this is working very well for me, and I really hope it continues to. I have tried MANY different things to help my skin, and grapeseed oil is proving to be one of my top solutions. I also use Aloe Vera Gel (one that is pure without all the fillers and junk that do nothing but irritate the skin).

Hi all

I have just started using grapeseed oil and it does feel rather nice. I just bought mine from the cooking oils section of the supermarket. It is supposed to be 100% pure grapeseed oil and not too expensive. A little goes a LONG way and it does absorb pretty quickly. I think my skin feels slightly less oily than it seems to when I use most other things on my face - yep, I am using it on my face. I will let you know how I go but I am optimistic.

I read that it's comedogenic.

Table 9: Effects of Un-saturation on Comedogenicity

A relatively large number of vegetable oils used as emollients in moisturisers, soaps, cleansers and sunscreens, were found to show comedogenic effects ranging from 0/3 to 3/3. This is an alarming and embarrassing discovery for the Beauty Therapy industry, as many of these vegetable oils have been used as carriers in aromatherapy and massage oils for many years. With this in mind, it is now obvious why beauty therapy students often complain that their skins were just fine until they started their training.

Saturated triglycerides are generally far less comedogenic than unsaturated oils (avocado oil is an exception), and sunflower seed oil is far less comedogenic that sweet almond or grape seed oil.

Table 9: Fats and Oils

Capric/caprylic triglyceride Results

Hydrogenated vegetable oil

Coconut oil

Hydrogenated lard glyceride

Avocado oil

Castor oil

Peanut oil

Hybrid safflower oil

Peach kernel oil

Sweet almond oil

Grape seed oil

Sunflower seed oil

EDIT: For some reason the results fdon't paste right. grapeseed is 2-3/3 with 3 being highly comedogenic.

http://www.beautymagonline.com/pages/comed...f_cosmetic_.htm

Edited by Anti - Em