Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I woke up early this morning and was thinking about all the posts I read about people being down in the dumps and dreading the holidays, and I got to thinking (dangerous :D ). I remember a story I heard about a little boy who had a brain tumor that was to be operated on. Several times a day, he visualized the tumor shrinking by thinking about Star Wars X-Wing fighters bombing it like the death star. The tumor went away on it's own (believed to be because of his use of mind over matter). Now, it could be a coincidence, but think about the Shaolin monks who use mind over matter to allow themselves to break bricks with their heads, or balance themselves on the point of a spear (granted, that kind of mind over matter takes years of perfecting, i.e., don't try that at home).

We know what stress does to the body. Animals shed like crazy when they are stressed. We sweat, our heart rates increase, we lose hair, in extreme cases the body shuts down and you go into shock. Stress can bring on rashes, including our favorite "A" word, acne (this most likely due to stress affecting the hormones). I don't know about you, but when I wake up with several new pimples I stress about them, get depressed, and surely that brings on more (if anything it leaves me feeling like crap most of the day).

So, if bad feelings / stress affect the body negatively, why can't good feelings have the opposite effect? They can! I know, I know it is hard to think positive when your face is a mess, but as I was lying in bed I came up with something to try. If anything, you will go to sleep in a positive mood. Before you go to sleep, lay in bed and use some creative imagery. Visualize a waterfall pouring over your face and as it does it your face is clearing. Or visualize a laser beam moving slowly across your face, leaving the skin behind crystal clear. Or, visualize the pimples and red marks simply shrinking away to nothing. Or, come up with your own creative visual, as long as it is positive (not angry "YOU RUIN MY LIFE, DIE PIMPLES DIE!" in other words). Breathe deeply to oxygenate your body and skin. If anything, this is going to help you go to sleep relaxed and positive, allowing your body to heal itself while you sleep. You can do the visual during the day, too. Anytime you start to have negative thoughts. It will only be VERY GOOD for your body and mind.

Now, back to the Shaolin. I read an interview with a Shaolin Monk. Here is a snippet from the interview: I asked Sifu about those difficult days everyone has now and then, and how one would go about ameliorating a difficult situation or mood. "There is nothing difficult," he said with the candor that destabilizes years of formal education. "If you believe in yourself you can do anything." In other words we would have to consciously intervene (cognitive intervention) when pre conditioned negative responses arise. Change your mind and you will change reality. Choosing positive ways to influence reality is a more intelligent way of using energy. According to the Master it all begins with how we perceive things in our mind, that is why it is so important to be positive.

I don't know about you, but I am going to try it and see what happens. If anything, my days / moods should be much improved. Best of luck to those who try it!!! :angel:

Good luck! There is some compelling evidence that the mind has a much greater influence over the body than we give it credit for. I don't imagine it could CURE acne, but reducing stress levels is always physically good for the body!

Guest No Pride

Excellent post. I have noticed that I have MUCH MUCH less acne then I did before now that I don't stress over it or get angry over it. Shaolin monks are incredible at controlling their mind and their reality in a POSITIVE way. And their abilities and their bodies and their health show it.

I don't imagine it could CURE acne, but reducing stress levels is always physically good for the body!

Yes, but if you BELIEVE it could cure your acne, maybe it could.

believe in yourself and your ability to go see a derm and assertively ask for accutane. then believe in your ability to take that accutane despite dry lips and skin. then keep taking it when you get the accutane rash. then believe and take it when your acne is gone but you have to finish the course. then grasshopper you will believe your acne away.

that is taken out of context. i've been to shaolin china. the monks train for many many years to be able to have such discipline. and u know what i saw some young ones with acne while i was there. and some older ones with scars from acne.

Excellent post. I have noticed that I have MUCH MUCH less acne then I did before now that I don't stress over it or get angry over it. Shaolin monks are incredible at controlling their mind and their reality in a POSITIVE way. And their abilities and their bodies and their health show it.

Absolutely. They are some of the healthiest beings on the planet. And VERY WISE!

lol - it could possibly cure it. I don't know how I'd convince myself that my acne could be cured that way, but there have been some cases of things like cancer and terminal illnesses being completely obliterated by the power of positive thought.

the real trick is not caring that you have a face full of ackers. the buddhist shaolin believe in reincarnation and the transience of everything, therefore nothing is permanent and nothing really matters enough to get emotional about or let it affect daily life.

More good advice from the Sifu:

Listening to yourself is a result of knowing who you are and what you want. If knowing yourself is important to you then you will surely visit parts of your deepest self that resonate simple fears that we were programmed within us as children. Otherwise we become like the people out there who fell to their fears, became insecure with themselves and as a result, live discounted lives. "Life is expensive" says Sifu. He believes so because, of the cost we ultimately pay in karma, "life is beautiful, this is very important."

i've been to shaolin china. the monks train for many many years to be able to have such discipline. and u know what i saw some young ones with acne while i was there. and some older ones with scars from acne.

Change your mind and you will change reality.

That made me feel warm and fuzzy.. :)

Otherwise we become like the people out there who fell to their fears, became insecure with themselves and as a result, live discounted lives.

Conversely, this made me feel sad, knowing that this is how I've become. It leaves a sense of it being too late..

Change your mind and you will change reality.

That made me feel warm and fuzzy.. :)

Otherwise we become like the people out there who fell to their fears, became insecure with themselves and as a result, live discounted lives.

Conversely, this made me feel sad, knowing that this is how I've become. It leaves a sense of it being too late..

Confronting ourselves is one of the hardest things to do in life. There's a lot of guilt there - being down on ourselves because of acne, when there are way worse things that could happen to us. It is NEVER too late to change. As soon as you think it is too late you are right, because you have already given up on hope. It is key to retrain yourself, it is an uphill battle, but can be done. My personal experience - my dad is an alcoholic, and is ALWAYS negative. My whole childhood I was bombarded with negativity, I mean completely bombarded. He is verbally abusive, but I love him regardless. I have to catch myself once in a while, but I am determined to not be negative and get down because I want to be a good role model for my two young children. They pick up on so many things. I feel so much better, knowing that I am able to change.

this thread kicks ass :D

the mind is extremly powerfull when it comes to controling body related stuff.

after all every thing in your body is ultimatly controlled by your mind, from pain to possibly acne, even if its at a subconcious level.

I hear of this monk that could actually stop his hearth beating by using the power of him mind, that's amazin.

I dunno why but this thread makes remindes me of the matrix :doh:

You remember the part where morpheous tells neo that if you die in the matrix then you die in the real world cause your mind makes it real. kinda makes secne that if you focus your thoughts on something then your mind makes that something real...

There is a book called "The Wisdom of James Allen". James Allen was a very succesful businessman in the late 1800's. He decided to sell everything and move to the country and there spent his time meditating in the mornings and evenings. After meditating he would write down what thoughts came to him during the sessions. His book (trilogy actually) is his musings that were published after his death. Here is a link to some quotes from his works.

James Allen Quotes

One in particular

Mind is the Master-power that molds and makes, and Man is Mind, and ever more he takes the Tool of Thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills-He thinks in secret and it comes to pass; Environment is but his looking-glass.

Confronting ourselves is one of the hardest things to do in life. There's a lot of guilt there - being down on ourselves because of acne, when there are way worse things that could happen to us. It is NEVER too late to change. As soon as you think it is too late you are right, because you have already given up on hope. It is key to retrain yourself, it is an uphill battle, but can be done. My personal experience - my dad is an alcoholic, and is ALWAYS negative. My whole childhood I was bombarded with negativity, I mean completely bombarded. He is verbally abusive, but I love him regardless. I have to catch myself once in a while, but I am determined to not be negative and get down because I want to be a good role model for my two young children. They pick up on so many things. I feel so much better, knowing that I am able to change.

It's interesting that you're using your positivity in regards to your family as a means of trying to become a good role model for your parents. My mum has wreaked havoc on my mind since I was a tiny lad, my parents show no love for us or each other and fight constantly, my relationships with my siblings aren't very good either.

Yet, even though I'm a thoroughly negative person, I see it as a positive thing that I can use my entire family as "inverse role models" in terms of how I should definitely not be if I ever become a parent. So is it bad for me to view my family negatively and learn from their crap? I can't fix them, I can affect me.

Yet, even though I'm a thoroughly negative person, I see it as a positive thing that I can use my entire family as "inverse role models" in terms of how I should definitely not be if I ever become a parent. So is it bad for me to view my family negatively and learn from their crap? I can't fix them, I can affect me.

I used to hate my dad for all he had done, but I finally got to the point of just accepting that he is the way he is and nothing I can do will ever change that. All I can do is learn from it. It is much more empowering and it takes negativity out of the equasion. Parenting is like a huge network marketing program. Have you ever noticed that a lot of times alcoholic, abusive parents raise alcoholic abusive children, grandchildren, and so on? Someone has to step up and break away and say "NO. My life / my family is NOT going to be like this. You can completely change the course of your life and the lives of your future children.

I used to hate my dad for all he had done, but I finally got to the point of just accepting that he is the way he is and nothing I can do will ever change that. All I can do is learn from it. It is much more empowering and it takes negativity out of the equasion. Parenting is like a huge network marketing program. Have you ever noticed that a lot of times alcoholic, abusive parents raise alcoholic abusive children, grandchildren, and so on? Someone has to step up and break away and say "NO. My life / my family is NOT going to be like this. You can completely change the course of your life and the lives of your future children.

That's basically how it is here, drugs and alcohol everywhere and I'm almost completely vice-free beyond a drink when the occasion calls for it. :cool:

Hate the taste though...

Anyway, by your rationale, I should be a decent parent, but sadly I'll likely never reach that point, which, if you can call this positivity, can be considered a good thing if you factor in that any kids I have will have to carry the burden of my acne-inclusive genetics. :confused:

Anyway, by your rationale, I should be a decent parent, but sadly I'll likely never reach that point, which, if you can call this positivity, can be considered a good thing if you factor in that any kids I have will have to carry the burden of my acne-inclusive genetics. :confused:

BAH. You will get married and have kids and look back on this and laugh. Go to America, women here lose themselves over Australian accents. :)

BAH. You will get married and have kids and look back on this and laugh. Go to America, women here lose themselves over Australian accents. :)

Based on internet voice chat experience, I totally believe you. :cool:

.. And I might go one day.. If I can ever get any money, which basically requires that I stop being such a lethargic depressed git.

well, the mind certaintly is a powerful tool. no doubt about that. but for something like a tumor----thinking positive is always beneficial. but it's not going to cure it.

well, the mind certaintly is a powerful tool. no doubt about that. but for something like a tumor----thinking positive is always beneficial. but it's not going to cure it.

Do you know for a fact that it can't defeat cancer? There are nemerous incidents of cancer and Tumors simply disappearing from a persons system and the afflicted person simply saying they used mind over matter. There is medical documentation to prove that the cancer was there and also medicaly documentation to prove that it is now gone.

Do you know for a fact that it can't defeat cancer? There are nemerous incidents of cancer and Tumors simply disappearing from a persons system and the afflicted person simply saying they used mind over matter. There is medical documentation to prove that the cancer was there and also medicaly documentation to prove that it is now gone.

since you can't document someone's mind in that way and make facts out of emotions, how can documentation be evidential? maybe i've just seen too many people die of cancer and tumors to have someone say "oh you just have to think POSITIVE! and it will go away!"

since you can't document someone's mind in that way and make facts out of emotions, how can documentation be evidential? maybe i've just seen too many people die of cancer and tumors to have someone say "oh you just have to think POSITIVE! and it will go away!"

It's not that simple, and nobody has claimed it was. It is ineffective in many, and effective in few, who knows maybe those few are crackpots who belive in UFO's, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness Monster...Or maybe they are people who have tapped into the power of their brain with 100% assurance that they will defeat the cancer. I am sorry for those you have lost to cancer, I've lost friends and family to cancer as well. But... You are blurring the point by saying you can't document a persons mind and make facts out of emotions. You can make fact of something being there and then being gone....that is factual. You can make a fact that medical research has no conclusive evidence as to the nature of said illnees disappearing, it was there, now it's gone. But it hard to substantiate a claim that "I used possitive thinking to overcome it". Who knows maybe a sacrifice to Bigfoot was made for the cure, or maybe they believe that positive thinking is what cured them. Whay take that away from them?

Now In this topic we are specifically discussing possitive thought and Acne. The ideal is that the Acne goes away...Is it? Or is the ideal that with or without acne we can find a stable person who loves themself and refuses to allow Acne to control their lives. Positive thinking can't hurt that at all, and in the end the positive thinking through elimination of stress can reduce Acne.

Here is an interesting niblet of info from th University of Michigan which links stress to Acne, basically stating that acne can be one reaction to stress much like Hives.

Link To UofM

I read once that humans only use a tiny percentage of their brain. Some radicals believe that if we were able to unlock the other percentage, you could be capable of almost anything. I don't know about that, but I do believe that positive thinking can heal a person. Maybe not cancer, maybe not acne, but certainly emotionally, and that is where we need it the most. We should be able to enjoy our lives, regardless of what we have.

It's not that simple, and nobody has claimed it was. It is ineffective in many, and effective in few, who knows maybe those few are crackpots who belive in UFO's, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness Monster...Or maybe they are people who have tapped into the power of their brain with 100% assurance that they will defeat the cancer. I am sorry for those you have lost to cancer, I've lost friends and family to cancer as well. But... You are blurring the point by saying you can't document a persons mind and make facts out of emotions. You can make fact of something being there and then being gone....that is factual. You can make a fact that medical research has no conclusive evidence as to the nature of said illnees disappearing, it was there, now it's gone. But it hard to substantiate a claim that "I used possitive thinking to overcome it". Who knows maybe a sacrifice to Bigfoot was made for the cure, or maybe they believe that positive thinking is what cured them. Whay take that away from them?

Now In this topic we are specifically discussing possitive thought and Acne. The ideal is that the Acne goes away...Is it? Or is the ideal that with or without acne we can find a stable person who loves themself and refuses to allow Acne to control their lives. Positive thinking can't hurt that at all, and in the end the positive thinking through elimination of stress can reduce Acne.

Here is an interesting niblet of info from th University of Michigan which links stress to Acne, basically stating that acne can be one reaction to stress much like Hives.

Link To UofM

positive thinking is a great tool. more power to you if you are able to utilize it 100%.

I read once that humans only use a tiny percentage of their brain. Some radicals believe that if we were able to unlock the other percentage, you could be capable of almost anything. I don't know about that, but I do believe that positive thinking can heal a person. Maybe not cancer, maybe not acne, but certainly emotionally, and that is where we need it the most. We should be able to enjoy our lives, regardless of what we have.

emotionally, i can see it playing the biggest impact also.