Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Name goes here

My Micro-Dose Isotretinoin log

Yeah thats right, I am taking 20mg once a week. Apparently this is called a microdose.

I have mild but very persistant acne. I normally have about 2-3 small pimples at a time, but sometimes I have none and sometimes I have 7-8. It's very annoying. I have just become sick of it so i decided to take this microdose of Isotretinoin which apparently I can take forever if i wanted to. But if it works for me, I will probably just take it for a couple of years then see what happens, I'm 22 and my acne is mild so hopefullly it will be gone on it's own soon.

I know people will say that this is too low a dose and what not, but it should be enough for me so i'll give it a try. I started this log so i could keep track of my own progress but also so that anyone else with mild but persistant acne can follow my progress too and see if this might be worth trying.

DAY 1

Well obviously I just took my first 20mg pill and my only one for this week. Obviously no side effects yet, hopefully at this low dosage there will be close to no side effects, fingers crossed dryness should be minimal and hopefully no IB. Wish me luck, i'll keep this updated so drop me line if you want :D

Im looking forward to reading your log :dance: as i too suffer from mild persistent acne and im really interested in your progress. I wish you the best of luck and can't wait your new post with good news :pray:

I'll be watching you :cool2:

:lol:

Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it.

MX123 - I weigh 65kg, but this isn't a weight/dose course so hopefully it shouldn't matter.

CookieKiss - I'm glad you will be watching, I will keep it updated at least weekly, probably not daily because at this low dose there should not be very rapid changes.

Day 2

Well this morning was my first day after taking a pill. I woke up this morning and my skin had a tingling sensation to it, but it went away after about 5 mins. I forgot I took the pill so i didn't know why until I remembered it must have been the roaccutane. I also was a bit light headed when I got up but that too went away after I had eaten some breakfast and had a shower. Other than that no changes at all. I'm hoping that this dose may just make me gradually clearer week by week. Im not expecting overnight results, i know it will take a while but im hoping because it's so low I won't get a flare up just gradual clearing. But only time will tell so i will keep you posted.

Day 7 (Second Pill)

Well it has been 7 days since my first 20mg pill so today i am taking my second. So far no side effets what so ever but that is to be expected since i have only taken 1 pill. My skin has been really good this week, normally I will probably get between 5-10 new small pimples a week which come and go within 24hours, but this week I have only gotten about 3 tiny pimples all week, skin is looking really good. Not sure if this is because of the roaccutane or just a good week. I will take my pill today and see what happens this week, but so far so good and I believe that I wont get any side effects at this current dose.

Day 13

Well I thought I would update today because I am now taking 2 tablets a week, so 40mg weekly. We figured it was probably best to start at a dose that has been proven to work and once I am 100% clear then try and see if 1 tablet a week will be enough to keep it that way. So the 1st week was 20mg, the second was 40mg and I will keep it that way from now on. I take my pills on Tues and Friday so tomorrow will be my first pill for my 3rd week.

So far no real side effects at all. No dryness, no oiliness, no IB.

Skin has has a few tiny spots the past 2 days but still looking good, I think i am having a little breakout as we speak but it is very very mild.

I have had slightly drier lips but not enough to warrant chapstick or anything, there fine. Also my eyes sometimes feel dry and tired. I havent done anything about it yet but I think I might start using visine just in case. Anyway, all is well and I hope to clear up totally sooner rather than later ;)

day 18 - pill 5 yesterday

Well its good news to report. My skin is currently awesome. The past few days my skin has looked sensational. I currently have two miniture pimples above my lip that are so small they arent really noticable. I also have two pimples on the right side of my forehead right on my hairline so they canht be seen either. Skin tone looks really even aswell.

Side effects are still non-existant.

I would love it for this to continue.

I hope you keep your micro dose log going as I'll be very interested to follow your progress. I had one 5 month course at 60 mg per day and had all the usual unpleasant side effects but after about a month of finishing up, my skin started to take a turn for the worse.

I've also got mild acne but very persistent. My Derm' has given me another 2 months at 60mg per day but I decided to give myself a low dose of 10mg per day. Within a week my skin was completely clear so I think low doses can be as effective. I've gone up to 20mg per day and started to get mild side effects like slightly dry lips and drier skin but nothing bad.

I think my acne may well need constant control and so a microdose that I could continue with indefinitely is well worth considering. Hope it all works out for you and keep us posted.

Day 25

Thanks for dropping by guys.

Shunts - You are completely right, if your acne is persistant and prone to relapse a microdose could be just what you need. My acne was very mild but at the same time it was incredibly persistant, the derm said that there was no derm in the world that would give me a full course of tane for my acne but he said I could do a microdose which would almost certainly clear the acne completely whilst on it. He also said that I would have to wait until about 4-6 months to see the best results from this course but as of today I am pretty much completely clear already. And no side effects at all. Its going great. The 40mg I take a week averages out to 5.7mg/day so I guess I am on a 5mg course. Overall I am very happy with how its going and I plan on staying on this for a while, maybe 2 years or more.

CookieKiss - Thanks for your kind words

This is kinda cool...I never heard of a micro-dose before...I wonder why more derms don't prescribe it for those of us that need second and third courses...

Anyway-great to hear you're doing so well! I'm jealous! I want a micro-dose after this second fullcourse is over...maybe I'll bring it up to my derm...what do you think she'll say? :think:

I'm definitely going to bring this up with my derm. I've got big hopes for this for keeping me clear. I'm going to carry on with my 20mg per day until I go and see him at the end of Jan and see what he says. He wanted to put me on 60mg a day again for a further to months but I self dosed at 10mg per day and that cleared me quickly. I only went up to 20mg per day as I thought a hgher dose would be better for keeping me clear long term but if I can get away with 20 - 40mg per week on a long term basis, that would be so much better.

Just one question: what do you think about a micro dose and alcohol? My big issue is that the tane gets me clear but I can't really benefit from the renewed self confidence as I can't realy go out drinking with my mates etc. I would have thought that it would be ok to drink in moderation on such a low dose?

I'm definitely going to bring this up with my derm. I've got big hopes for this for keeping me clear. I'm going to carry on with my 20mg per day until I go and see him at the end of Jan and see what he says. He wanted to put me on 60mg a day again for a further to months but I self dosed at 10mg per day and that cleared me quickly. I only went up to 20mg per day as I thought a hgher dose would be better for keeping me clear long term but if I can get away with 20 - 40mg per week on a long term basis, that would be so much better.

Just one question: what do you think about a micro dose and alcohol? My big issue is that the tane gets me clear but I can't really benefit from the renewed self confidence as I can't realy go out drinking with my mates etc. I would have thought that it would be ok to drink in moderation on such a low dose?

Im not sure what affect alcohol has on this low dose. But I can tell you that I have been drinking every weekend since I started with no problems at all so I guess it is ok. :dance:

Day 34

Skin has been behaving sensationally. Im still getting the odd small pimple come through but on the whole its looking well. Eyes are a tad dry, but nothing bothersome, and lips are very slightly chapped, hardly anything and chapstick fixes that easily. I have even been eating like a bastard lately, taking supplements for working out, all of which used to break me out like crazy, and now it does nothing. I am really loving this treatment so far. Fingers crossed it can continue.

why do a log of such a pathetic low dose.....i for one cannot be stuffed reading 800+ days of you gay ass low dose log

pump yourself full of some real 40-60mg shit.

btw merry fucken christmas all

worst christmass ever and it wasn't cuz of acne cuz basically i have none now thanks to high dose accutane but fuck what a shit christmas can't be bothered going into details but yea.......hate life right now.......fucken soooo emo right now

why do a log of such a pathetic low dose.....i for one cannot be stuffed reading 800+ days of you gay ass low dose log

pump yourself full of some real 40-60mg shit.

btw merry fucken christmas all

worst christmass ever and it wasn't cuz of acne cuz basically i have none now thanks to high dose accutane but fuck what a shit christmas can't be bothered going into details but yea.......hate life right now.......fucken soooo emo right now

Did it ever occur to you that maybe I didn't start this log just for YOU to read, and if you don't want to read it then just don't click on it, it's pretty simple. Now get the fuck outta my log you negative mother fucker. Take your depression elsewhere, go cry in your sleep or whatever you dumb fucks do, I only want positive people in here.

hey just checking how it's going? i'm at the derm tomorrow for mild persistant acne but i'm in the uk so i'm not getting my hopes up about getting tane i'm 27 and have suffered sinse i was about 13 off and on i really hope i get taken seriously

well... im taking one 20mg pill per week... im on my second month and i have no acne now... my skin is less oily... my life has changed! ... someone told me that even with one 20mg per month your acne can be reduced.