Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeAntonio

What Makes Accutane Work?

thinking about getting it because I have some acne on my back, but Im really not trying to spend a lot of money right now...... what exactly in Accutane makes it so effective, looking for an alternative basically

thinking about getting it because I have some acne on my back, but Im really not trying to spend a lot of money right now...... what exactly in Accutane makes it so effective, looking for an alternative basically

basically retinoid (isotretinoin) makes it so powerful, it causes involution of seba glands thereby tackles the root of the problem. there's no alternatives, topical retinoids don't seem to do the trick.

Accutane has several actions. The one everyone talks about is that it shrinks and inhibits the action of the sebaceous glands, reducing or seemingly halting sebum production. More importantly, it normalizes desquamation and keratinization which are abnormal in the skin of acne sufferers. Desquamation is the word for the sloughing of old cells into the pore - in acne sufferers these cells slough off much too fast, creating a sort of "log jamb" in the "river" of the pore. Keratinization is the creation of keratin - the substance that makes fingernails rigid. The combination of excessive desquamation, keratinization, and sebum form the clog in the pore. Sebum is trapped behind the clog and the natural bacterial colonies grow excessively on this feast, which leads to inflammation.

Accutane normalizes the desquamation and keratinization so there is no log jamb, and temporarily shuts off the sebaceous glands, closing the bacterial buffet which stops the inflammation as their populations return to a normal size.

After the course is over, sebum production returns to more or less normal (usually a little less than it was before) and somehow the normalizing effects on desquamation and keratinization often continue. Exactly how is a mystery, but most people clear up on Accutane, and most people get a full remission for at least a year after a single course - some people stay in remission for the rest of their lives. Subsequent courses increase the chance of remission if the first course didn't manage it. Many dermatologists recommend a topical retinoid after the course to maintain results.

There really is no equivalent - nothing works like Accutane does. However, it really is expensive, especially if your insurance doesn't cover it. If the acne on your back isn't too bad, a topical retinoid and topical antibiotic can be very effective. But it kinda sucks to have to put topicals on your back - it's hard to reach. I'd stay away from BP on the back since it can bleach clothing.

the actual mechanism of action is unknown but they do know it interferes with dna transcription temporarily. basically that means it temporarily stops/slows your genetic code from making oil. when your body goes back to producing sebum its not as clogging or bacteria-friendly. they dont know why though.

Accutane has several actions. The one everyone talks about is that it shrinks and inhibits the action of the sebaceous glands, reducing or seemingly halting sebum production. More importantly, it normalizes desquamation and keratinization which are abnormal in the skin of acne sufferers.

I would say suppressing oil production is the key factor here not the normalization of the desquamation and keratinization. Those two you can achieve with the aid of topical retinoids and as we know it's not enough to treat acne.

I would say suppressing oil production is the key factor here not the normalization of the desquamation and keratinization. Those two you can achieve with the aid of topical retinoids and as we know it's not

Topicals can never work as well as a systemic. You can have lots of sebum production and not have acne, as long as the pores aren't clogged. You can have acne even with very little sebum production. Sebum is not the problem, it's a scapegoat.

Accutane has several actions. The one everyone talks about is that it shrinks and inhibits the action of the sebaceous glands, reducing or seemingly halting sebum production. More importantly, it normalizes desquamation and keratinization which are abnormal in the skin of acne sufferers.

I would say suppressing oil production is the key factor here not the normalization of the desquamation and keratinization. Those two you can achieve with the aid of topical retinoids and as we know it's not enough to treat acne.

I disagree,

Everyone produces sebum to some extent so if the bacteria just needed sebum to rapidly multiply then everyone would have acne.

It is the blockage that cuts off the oxygen and allows them to respire anaerobically and grow so fast.

What i don't get is why milia don't form into spots? and in what way is keratosis pilaris different to acne?