Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Real BucK

exactly how good is Tea Tree oil?

who uses this? explain how good it is as far as spot treatment? and how about tea tree oil washes? does/can it help prevent acne in any way?

For me personally, it was an absolute nightmare, and I broke out terribly with an allergic reaction.

Some rave about it, not me!

+Some info about tea tree oil:(basically, you want to use a 5%+ tea tree oil)

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/dictiona...1&type=FIND

Tea tree oil. Also known as melaleuca, from the name of its plant source, Melaleuca alternifolia. It can have disinfecting properties that have been shown to be effective against the bacteria that cause blemishes. According to Healthnotes Review of Complementary and Integrative Medicine (www.healthwell.com/healthnotes/Herb/Tea_Tree.cfm) and the Medical Journal of Australia (October 1990, pages 455?458), 5% tea tree oil and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide are effective in reducing the number of blemishes, with a significantly better result for benzoyl peroxide when compared to the tea tree oil. Skin oiliness was lessened significantly in the benzoyl peroxide group versus the tea tree oil group. However, the tea tree oil had somewhat less irritating side effects. Concentrations of 5% to 10% are recommended. However, the amount found in most skin-care products is usually less than 1% and, therefore, considered not to be effective for disinfecting. See Paula's article Tea Tree Oil?Melaleuca.

I noticed that you say you eat 2 cans a day of tuna. Most canned tuna, especially albacore, is high in mercury, and no more than 2 cans a week should be eaten. Do a google search for "canned tuna" and "mercury" if you want to know more.

Do you get very many greens in your paleo diet? At least one cup blended or 4 cups eaten? If not, you may want to check out my green smoothie post! Greens are very important to having clear skin - especially for those of us that are prone to acne. Green Smoothies: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917 :)

As a spot treatment tea tree oil does wonders for me, i used it to control my cyst acne before i went on birthcontrol. Keep using tea tree oil for a couple of months and you notice a difference...

Actually, I've had really good results with tea tree oil. I don't do well with BP because it dries up my skin and makes it all flaky...but for the occasional blemish, I think TTO is really good, I just dab it on at night, and in the morning, the blemish is usually reduced/gone.

Good luck!

HappyGurl :)

TTO made my skin more oily, , didn't work out for me, it tricked me too....it gave me a nice refreshing tingly sensation after I washed my face, within 30 mins my face oiliER and blah but maybe it'll work for you though

if you're scared of TTO, ease into it, wet a q-tip then add tto onto that before you apply it to a blemish. For me, i like it, and depending on where a zit is situated on my face, TTO can work wonders or it takes a bit longer to work but still eventually does. I gave up BP in august and i won't go back to it.

In my experience, topicals (and especially those which are applied to already existing zits) are a waste of time and money at best, and usually, they just make it worse. And that includes tea tree oil - at least when it comes to acne. It's very effective on athlete's foot.