Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ive been eating healthy for about 2 months thanks to this website. But i am still breaking out.

Things that i regularly eat:

bumble bee ablecore

baked chicken

boiled eggs

salad

turkey

hummus

flat bread (for wraps)

bannanas

pears

oranges

strawberries

blueberries

soymilk (regular)

apples

I have been much clearer since living a more healthy lifestyle but in the last three weeks i have been struggling with acne. I starting smoking much less and switched to lights, i started working out, i quit using topicals other than water, and started eating pretty healthy. Why the hell am i still breaking out? I dont drink anything except smoothies, green smoothies, water, and green tea. I feel like it takes my red marks like a week and a half to fully dissappear. Can anyone tell me what (and how much) viatamins i should be taking? Or what foods i should be eating to definantly be clear? i dont even care about what i eat at this point, i just want to be clear. Tell me what to do!

Ive been eating healthy for about 2 months thanks to this website. But i am still breaking out.

bumble bee ablecore

baked chicken

boiled eggs

salad

turkey

hummus

flat bread (for wraps)

bannanas

pears

oranges

strawberries

blueberries

soymilk (regular)

apples

I have been much clearer since living a more healthy lifestyle but in the last three weeks i have been struggling with acne. I starting smoking much less and switched to lights, i started working out, i quit using topicals other than water, and started eating pretty healthy. Why the hell am i still breaking out? I dont drink anything except smoothies, green smoothies, water, and green tea. I feel like it takes my red marks like a week and a half to fully dissappear. Can anyone tell me what (and how much) viatamins i should be taking? Or what foods i should be eating to definantly be clear? i dont even care about what i eat at this point, i just want to be clear. Tell me what to do!

Hi le_bowen!

Besides diet/health, what else are you doing to clear up your skin? Do you use any hair products that could affect your skin? Do you change your pillowcases regularly? And what is your current regimen? :D Other factors might include how much sleep you're getting, and stress. Good luck! :comfort:

bumble bee ablecore

baked chicken

boiled eggs

salad

turkey

hummus

flat bread (for wraps)

bannanas

pears

oranges

strawberries

blueberries

soymilk (regular)

apples

Albacore tuna is some of the worst fish you can eat - very high in mercury. I'd cut that out completely. I'd ease up a little on some of the animal products and would add more vegetables. Do you eat about 4 cups of leafy greens a day? Leafy greens are your number one tool for clear skin, and you can easily get them into your diet by drinking green smoothies everyday. If you were to only make one change, I would say to add in green smoothies. Green Smoothies: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917

Hi le_bowen!

Besides diet/health, what else are you doing to clear up your skin? Do you use any hair products that could affect your skin? Do you change your pillowcases regularly? And what is your current regimen? :D Other factors might include how much sleep you're getting, and stress. Good luck! :comfort:

no hair products. yes i change my pillowcases. My current regimen is water only. I wash my face about 2 times a day. that alone was probably one of the biggest improvements in my skin. I will say that my skin is not even close to as bad as it was when i was eating unhealthy and using topicals. Its is still not perfect and still kind of irritating.

Albacore tuna is some of the worst fish you can eat - very high in mercury. I'd cut that out completely. I'd ease up a little on some of the animal products and would add more vegetables. Do you eat about 4 cups of leafy greens a day? Leafy greens are your number one tool for clear skin, and you can easily get them into your diet by drinking green smoothies everyday. If you were to only make one change, I would say to add in green smoothies. Green Smoothies: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917

i will cut out the albacore. Definantly more green smoothies.

Could be the cigarettes, could be the bread, could be the soy milk.

I usually only put the soy milk in my fruit smoothies. other than that i dont really drink it. The bread however was the healthiest flatbread that they have in albertsons. any tips or things i should look for when buying bread?

Any advice for what vitamins i should be taking? i know about b5, and viatimen E but how much of those 2 and what other viatimns and supplemnts should i take?

I would eat whole grain bread and avoid anything refined. What type of breakouts were you having before you started living more healthy and what type of breakouts are you having now?

Have you though about taking a zinc supplement? Do a search in this section and you'll find lot's of information about zinc. :wub:

imho, drop the bread, beans, soymilk, and fruit (sugar).

eat more grass-fed protein, animal fat, sardines, and greens.

using nothing but water to wash with was a good move for me too.

Why drop the beans?

Agreed! Beans are ridiciulously good for you. Also I would eat more natural protein like, nuts, fish, salmon, salmon, salmon, beans & brown rice, a little tofu, try almond milk instead of soy...

As far as bread, I go to wholefoods and get this bread called MANNA bread. Its yeast free and salt free and hasnt effected my skin. Its found in the frozen section and is what a lot of raw food diet eaters will eat because its almost considered raw. I keep it in my fridge and get the cinnamon date or fruit nut loaf... very very good, add some almond butter and heat 10 sec, and its amazing!

not really going to get into much description of why eating seeds may not be proper for human digestion because other sources of information would do much better than i at explaining this. but i am not a proponent of grains, beans, or nuts. all of which are seeds that i wouldn't touch with a stick anymore based on my own experience with them and the feedback of many others as confirmation.

there is plenty of discussion and debate about paleo diets already on the forum and i dont mean to turn this into one of those debates. it helped me immensely and i simply wanted to recommend it to the original poster. all of the nutrition in beans can be better achieved from properly raised grassfed organic animal foods.

not really going to get into much description of why eating seeds may not be proper for human digestion because other sources of information would do much better than i at explaining this. but i am not a proponent of grains, beans, or nuts. all of which are seeds that i wouldn't touch with a stick anymore based on my own experience with them and the feedback of many others as confirmation.

there is plenty of discussion and debate about paleo diets already on the forum and i dont mean to turn this into one of those debates. it helped me immensely and i simply wanted to recommend it to the original poster. all of the nutrition in beans can be better achieved from properly raised grassfed organic animal foods.

From what you have left in the diet it would appear that a paleo diet is just meat and greens

It isn't. No amount of evidence even points out to an almost carnivorous diet

Well speculation about what the inhabitants of Paleo sites in the european regions used to eat is pretty useless as it's impossible to tell at this point. But certain criteria have been established like reconstruction of the typical flore and fauna and climate of those years (much warmer that we've been lead to believe) DNA analysis of fossil feces and most important of all indirect evidence from modern non-technological societies that live like paleo humans were supposed to live. None of this supports a carnivorous diet or big hunting of big beast

Nuts were such staples in the paleo diet that rests of nutsheels have been found in all paleo sites to date

The variety of edible and sweet fruits was 80% larger than is today and it's not true that wild fruits are smaller and soar ... just a myth any expert in botany will be glad to explain you

Beans are consumed by many hunther-gatherer societies although not all and were probably consumed by paleo eaters too since their ashes have been found in most paleo sites

On top of that it should be added that no evidence whatsoever exists that nuts or beans have harmful effects on the body. The theoretical argument about antinutrients is a big exaggeration with no confirmation in studies and real life. Nuts on the other hand have always been showed to have nothing but positive effects in all clinical trials ever done (except when one has become allergic for having them introduced in the diet, in whatever form, before a certain age when human milk should still be most of what is consumed)

Sorry didn't just wanted to nitpick your explanation but I thought it was fair that people didn't think that paleo diet is a sort of meat, fish and greens only diet or that there was any evidence for it being like that

i realize that humans have long been opportunistic eaters. that's not to say we can't make better decisions based on what we know, especially when it comes from your own experience and reaction to a food. i am not suggesting that paleo diets were all primarily carniverous. i am merely making a suggestion of a variation on the paleo diet to the original poster which, from my experience, would be good for acne, specifically. maybe if the first segment of my life were not spent being destroyed by modern diet and medicine, then my body could better handle reasonable paleo foods such as fruit and nuts, but at this point, it's busted and can't.

fruit was a major contributor to my skin problem. fruits were my favorite food and i was devasted to realize that.

if you give me a fresh unshelled nut, sure i'll eat it. but i might expect to have a skin eruption the next day. nuts present many people with problems, they all have their own form of 'mother nature protection', just like grains and beans, because they are seeds. this is why nut allergies are so common. many people break out from nuts. not to mention that most are high in omega-6, rancid from exposure, hard to digest, and addictively overeaten. i think that nuts are the least problematic of the seeds, but traditional cultures that do use them in their diet are meticulous about their preparation of nuts and seeds before consumption because time and experience have showed them that there are consequences to eating seeds that are not prepared with great attention. who knows if soaking really diminishes the issues with beans and nuts, and who really knows the extent of such traditional preparation methods. i found a study where various methods of soaking and sprouting were used on a variety of beans to deactivate its protectors so that more nutrition could be absorbed for them. they did this because children sustaining on vegetarian diets in africa due to poverty which consisted of mainly millet and lentils and vegetables were becoming sick. the conclusion was that despite meticulous and industrial scale soaking, sprouting, fermenting, etc...still only around 50% of the protecting substances in the seeds could be diminished. sorry i dont have the link but you can probably search for it with "lentils millet africa nutrition" or something along those lines. despite the inhibitors and such in seeds, they are also not balanced proteins and this alone can cause skin problems, especially due to the fact that nuts are very high in arginine and low in lysine.

i have tried the alternative methods of preparations for beans, nuts, and seeds and no longer have them in my diet because :

1) i'm not so poor that i have to rely on such bulk vegetable foods as seeds when the nutrients can be achieved in other more nutrient dense animal foods, and less allergenic vegetable foods

2) even when meticulously prepared, many of them left me in bed with stomach cramps, gas, mental fog, or skin eruptions

3) it is a pain in the ass to soak and sprout and cook, when there are other options without such consequences

not trying to argue with you danny but i think it's just a stretch to say there is no evidence whatsoever that nuts and beans are not without their problems due to the fact that they are seeds. in my experience and with my intent at clearing my skin, i eliminated these foods and never looked back. even if i were not prone to acne, after all i've learned about eating seeds, i would still avoid them personally.

this is merely a suggestion for the original poster. do whatcha feel you need to do!

Eventually one has to experiment individually

For example fruits doesn't affect my acne at all and nuts either

But I know people who are affected by either fruits and nuts

There are many variables some inborn and some changeable like abdominal fat, physical activity and so on