Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBC

Acne and Pregnancy

I'm extremely concerned.

I know the minute I go off my BCP my acne will come back with a vengence (I tried going off it before last year and it was awful :( but I guess that's what I'll have to deal with if we're trying to get pregnant.

I also heard that you can't use a lot of the Rx that are normally prescribed for acne like Retinol, and Solugels etc.

Are there any products that are effective and safe for pregnant people?

You can use aha's and benzoyl peroxide. No retinoids or salicylic acid. I wouldn't use any tea tree either. BTW I am trying to get pregnant as well so I've done my research and asked my obgyn as well.

I am like you (when off BCP skin gets bad), but my skin surprised me and was perfectly clear during both of my pregnancies after an initial small breakout at the beginning. Best of luck to you! And yes, BP is fine to use. Also, try Apple Cider Vinegar if you haven't.

I think I will have to go through all this when I try to get pregnant (in a couple of years). Thanks for the responses. It is good to know.

Alpha Hydrox 12% souffle.

It has seriously aved my skin..I'm in the sae boat as you. TTC.

Sounds interesting! Do you have any links to the products you use?

:D

Just as a thought: maybe you should do an aggressive course of accutane before you want to get pregnant. Of course, you have to be triple careful during the course, but a month after finishing, you're safe to go for it. You might find that the accutane cures you or buys you enough time to get through to when you want to start BCP's again. Good luck.

Accutane could take a while... and if you plan to get pregnant, you will have to wait extra... you don't want to affect your baby after all.

Just as a thought: maybe you should do an aggressive course of accutane before you want to get pregnant. Of course, you have to be triple careful during the course, but a month after finishing, you're safe to go for it. You might find that the accutane cures you or buys you enough time to get through to when you want to start BCP's again. Good luck.

too risky!

i was told it was safe to use BP in pregnancy as they havent tested this well enough? maybe im wrong but thats what i was told

I just had a baby 3 and a half weeks ago. I used BP almost the entirety of my pregnancy, my OB said that it was okay. My baby seems perfectly fine.