Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
belle83

I feel like a mess!

Ok, the good thing... I'm on my 6th final month on Accutane. The bad news is... just this weekend, I suddenly felt something big growing on my chin... now it looks like a really big cyst and I have another big pimple on my chick. I was feeling so much better starting from the 5th month... my skin felt so much better with no cysts! I had severe acne so I finally decided to take accutane. Now I keep on praying every day that this bad dream will end... I feel like it's a nightmare! I thought that accutane is supposed to clear the skin. I feel so depressed because this is supposed to be my last month and I suddenly got a big cyst on my chin and it's painful! Also, accutane is expensive, and I don't know if I can afford another month of it if my Derm will prescribe another month (is it allowed more than 6 months?). I just wish this would go away! This big painful cyst came in the wrong time 'cause next week I have to meet someone I haven't seen in a while and now I feel ugly :( . I wish I wouldn't have work tomorrow... but I gotta go to work. I wish I could just wear a mask not to show my face with that cyst... it's so painful, I just don't want to go out. I don't know, it just doesn't seem normal to me... that suddenly I have this big cyst on my chin while I'm on the last month taking accutane! :(:(:( *sigh* when will it end??!

Ok, the good thing... I'm on my 6th final month on Accutane. The bad news is... just this weekend, I suddenly felt something big growing on my chin... now it looks like a really big cyst and I have another big pimple on my chick. I was feeling so much better starting from the 5th month... my skin felt so much better with no cysts! I had severe acne so I finally decided to take accutane. Now I keep on praying every day that this bad dream will end... I feel like it's a nightmare! I thought that accutane is supposed to clear the skin. I feel so depressed because this is supposed to be my last month and I suddenly got a big cyst on my chin and it's painful! Also, accutane is expensive, and I don't know if I can afford another month of it if my Derm will prescribe another month (is it allowed more than 6 months?). I just wish this would go away! This big painful cyst came in the wrong time 'cause next week I have to meet someone I haven't seen in a while and now I feel ugly :( . I wish I wouldn't have work tomorrow... but I gotta go to work. I wish I could just wear a mask not to show my face with that cyst... it's so painful, I just don't want to go out. I don't know, it just doesn't seem normal to me... that suddenly I have this big cyst on my chin while I'm on the last month taking accutane! :(:(:( *sigh* when will it end??!

i know how you feel. i'm in my 5th month of accutane. just when i thought i wasn't going to get any more cysts, i get one right between my eyes. :-(. i can empathize.

I'm sorry to hear that you have the same problem :(:(:( I hope Accutane will show its magic again really soon!

Hey Belle83 - don't be disheartened and try not to let your skin stop you from living your life - people see you, not your skin. Accutane didn't work for me, but other people on here have found it works amazingly well so keep trying. If you smile and make eye contact, that's what people will see - not your skin. :D

Thanks for your encouragement... Bonito! That's helpful.

Well, I know I can stop thinking about my skin, but I've been dealing with this severe acne for years and I had hope with accutane.... but now I don't know! It's just makes me so upset... I have a boyfriend and I have this feeling that soon he'll propose! I don't want to get married feeling like a mess with my bad skin (even though I know my boyfriend loves me and he doesn't care). These cysts are painful... so I'm not just thinking about how ugly it looks, but I'm thinking how painful it is as well. I have another apointment with my derm in three weeks... so we'll see what he'll say... but I remember he told me the last time I saw him that I'll "look like a princess".. after the last month..did he have to say that???! now accutane is not working! I'm still hoping for a miracle...and especially for better skin on Monday 'cause I have to meet this one famour handsome violinist, and now I don't feel like going.... it's so depressing. I see so many people over here with good results after accutane and I started to have that too during the 5th month but now... it's as if the magic stopped.

Hi! Do you total dosage, or your cumulative dosage?

You can take accutane for more than 6 months, depending on your dosage. My first round was a higher dose for 4 months and the second round was a lower dose for 9 months. Unfortunately, it did not really help me either time. It is frustrating when dermatologists tell you that this will "definitely" work and that it has this really high success rate, then after the first round fails, they say "oh you are just one of the few who requires a second round, this time it will work for sure." Then the second round doesn't work either and you feel like a huge defective failure and the derm just says "you are just one of the very few who requires a THIRD round!". Yeah, that's when I put my foot down and went off in search of other remedies.

HOWEVER, I still think accutane DOES work well for a lot of people, so hang in there and keep taking it until the end- sometimes the results aren't apparent until a month or so after you are done. I just think doctors need to be more honest and up front about the fact that it does not have a 100% success rate and stop promising miracle results.

Belle,

That is strange that you would break out during the 6th month of accutane. I'm glad you're seeing your derm in 3 weeks. I was on Accutane 4 times. My acne improved each time but here I am in my 30's and still have 5-11 zits a day. My skin was completely clear during all the accutane courses plus 2 months after. Then it would slowly creep back each time. My courses were 3 mos., 5 mos., 5 mos. and 4 mos. Maybe I ahould have been on it longer--I don't know. I was so hopeful each time. For some people, the acne never comes back. But since I joined acne.org, I have learned I am not the only one. Think of it this way; Even if your acne comes back, it won't be as bad as before accutane. Stay positive and remember there are many other methods to try. I'm following "HappyGurl's" advice and consuming 5-6 tsp of apple cider vinegar every day. Who knows? It may be the answer. Hang in there and stay on accutane as long as you doc will let you.

Peace,

Les Mis

I suffered from cysts for a long time but accutane finally did clear it. The four people I know (self included) who went on accutane either cleared up permanently in the final month or just after finishing the course.

This may be your last cyst. Don't play with it. Just leave it. It might just go away.

All good doctors seem to recommend 6 months at 60 mg per day and that seems to work.

the cycst should clear up a LOT faster if you keep taking your accutane.

I got one on my back in month 5, even though my back had cleared first like 2 month before. The cyst went down and dissapeared within about 4 days, where normally it would take a month for something like that to go away. I did get left with a mark though.

also, you can go for another month, it might help a lot.

accutane works differently for everyone..... sometimes it clears you completely, sometimes not so much. hopefully it at least helped a bit!

keep us updated!

I just started Accutane and I find it horrible that you broke out and in cysts! Well the tane should make them heal faster so it may not be half as bad as before. I have heard of people who have been on tane longer than 6 months so maybe that will be a solution. I know it must be disheartening but keep your chin up and trust in the tane... maybe it's just an isolated event. Best of luck, it will get better!