Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
persiandudepf

My Story...and plea for help and advice

Hey guys,

I am currently 14 but My acne came around at about 12. Coming from a wide family history of acne prone skin, it was inevitable that i would get it as well. At 12-14 my acne was quite mild and my parents got me on a head start to treating it with the Benz P and Sal acid. Everything was fine, and it crept slowly from my forehead, into my cheeks but it was pretty mild, nothing to pause at at all. At about the end of eight grade summer, the Severe cysts and nodules hit me like a tsunami. My face became a totally red and bumby all over. My face has become a wartorn land where the acne was winning. Now Im a wrestler and have been training for it since 5th grade. Wrestling is my passion and I loved the sport. when I started high school wrestling, we trained hard. Really hard, wrestling took up 3 hours of my day and pushed me to my limits each of those days, sweating hard. My acne got even worse and the pre existing acne on my back scabbed, and bled, after every match every practice, it was disgusting and quite embarrasing to be wrestling with someone and stain their shirt with my blood and getting sent off to the bathroom day after day. I was disquallified from matches becuase I couldnt get it to stop bleeding.

Needless to say, I was forced to quit.

That in itself sucked hard I had to go to a PE, where I was way overdeveloped and made me feel out of place, but at least I thought my acne would go away in a month. It didnt, and got worse. My dad told me thats how he looked when he was my age and that didnt help. Later, I figured that it was my own genes that made it this severe, not the wrestling. Anyways, i researched and acne and learned TONS, i spent hours on the internet and learned all the medications, treatments, and info on it. Finaly, I got a referal to the dermatologist. I knew what he was gonna say.

As soon as he burst through the door, he looked at my face and said "Accutane!" without even pausing or saying hi. He even handed out blatant insults such as when we asked him about the side effects he said "If my son looked like THAT I would put him on accutane FOR SURE, but do what you want." So I have been on it for a month, the side effects i got were flaky dry skin, chapped lips, bloody nose, stiff joints. I then went back to the doctor, and he also puts me on minocyclin at the same time and now im on day 40 of accutane and day 10 of minocyclin.

Im not the kind of person who is low in self-esteem, far from it, but it really does affect my social life. I'm a pretty good looking guy without acne and am pretty buff and have had success with girls, but with it, if i go up to a an even slightly pretty girl, the reply to something as simple as "hi" is pretty disheartening. The girls that say "eww" does show that theyre likely very shallow, but still....

And also I cant go to the beach for 4 months, becuase of accutane, and if i did, my bacne blood would probably attract every shark within a 100 mile radius lol.

So anyways, what I have come here to ask is if ANYONE here has gone from severely acne prone to completely CLEAR skin and how they did it. Im hoping accutane works but its still just temporary.

PS: These are the things I have tried before accutane

Benzoyal peroxide (MULTIPLE brands)

Salycilic Acid

Vitamin E, aloe vera

Enthomycin

Tetracyclin

Herbal supplements

Colon detox(i may have done it wrong)

Dieting

Hydrogen Peroxide

Acidophillus Supplements (still taking)

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Most of us can relate to what you're going through. I, too, have tried a lots of products and medicines and nothing has really worked for me either (proactiv, clean&clear,peels,scrubs, baking soda, etc..)

You said you used Benzoyl peroxide..what percentage did you use? And also, have you tried doing the Clear Skin Regimen by Dan? actually now it's called the Dan Kern regimen..but I still call it the CSR :D I had severe acne too.. I had it for about 8 months or so until I started using Dan's regimen. Right now i'm about 97% clear, with a small zit every week or two. I still have redmarks and some minor scars, but the breakouts have stopped almost completely. I have been doing this regimen for about 7 months now, btw.

I hope you get the results you want from Accutane. I've heard it's a rough ride, but in the end it will probably be worth it to you. I really wish you the best :comfort: just remember that you're not alone, and that everyone here feels -or felt- the same way you do right now.

Hmm, I'll look into that.

As for the Benzoyl concentrations, Ive tried 2%, 5%, and 10%

brands include

-proactiv

-clearasil

-Oxy

-Natures Cure

-Acne Free

-Generic

Thanks for the support

Hmm, I'll look into that.

As for the Benzoyl concentrations, Ive tried 2%, 5%, and 10%

brands include

-proactiv

-clearasil

-Oxy

-Natures Cure

-Acne Free

-Generic

Thanks for the support

Don't worry; if you go on accutane you'll clear up. I currently just had my first course and am 3 months post. I also had it severe on the back. It cleared up completely. Keep going back on it if you need to, because definitely by the end of high school you'll be cured. Usually people with it on the back require 2-4 six month treatments of accutane so that it won't return for years. Your doing the right thing starting now because for college it wont be a problem anymore.

... and now im on day 40 of accutane and day 10 of minocyclin....

MINOCYCLINE SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN WITH ACCUTANE!

You need to double check the antibiotic that your doctor prescribed. Every description of accutane I've read has the following warning:

---------------------------

*Do not take any of the following medicines while taking Accutane:

-vitamin supplements containing vitamin A; or

-a tetracycline antibiotic such as tetracycline (Sumycin, Achromycin, Panmycin, Robitet, others), minocycline (Minocin, Dynacin,

Vectrin), doxycycline (Doryx, Monodox, Vibramycin, Vibra-Tabs), demeclocycline (Declomycin), or troleandomycin (TAO).

*Taking any of the drugs listed above during treatment with Accutane may be dangerous.

---------------------------

I am very surprised your doctor prescribed minocycline - if so, you need to contact him/her or your pharmacist TODAY to discuss this warning. I believe that if you read the information that came with your accutane, you'll find this warning.

Some antibiotics such as erythromycin and others not in the tetrocyline family (ending in 'cycline') are OK. Please follow up on this today.

But, good luck with your treatment. Stick with it. Be sure to ask your doctor about cortisone injections for the active cysts - if you look up my previous posts on cortisone injections, you'll find I'm a strong believer in them; they help a lot. In the future, don't be afraid to take additional courses of accutane to continue to solve your problem. There's a chance it will work great and permanently (or long term), but there's also a chance you'll need to take additional courses until your body overcomes the acne. You might ask your dad at what age he got over it - that will probably be the age you will too, and you might need to take accutane a few times between now and then.

He told me to take them both at different times of the day so i think thats ok according to him. Anyways, I cant afford the minocyclin anyways, apparently its a new type and only has the brand name solodyne and it costs $500/month. Insurance does not cover

That's not OK! Taking a -cycline antibiotic during an Accutane course greatly increases the chance of a serious side effect called pseudotumor cerebri - benign brain swelling.

The fact that he prescribed both at the same time, and his rudeness to you, your obvious discomfort with him, tells me that you need to find a new derm.

Accutane almost always works, and usually results in a nice long remission. I had severe recalcitrant nodular/cystic acne when i took my first course, and it cleared me completely for about a decade. When it came back it was very mild at first, gradually increasing to the point where it again became recalcitrant and was moderate/severe nodular/cystic. I took another course and am again completely clear. And if i need another course 10 years from now i won't hestitate to take it again. It's the only thing that ever worked for me.

He told me to take them both at different times of the day so i think thats ok according to him. Anyways, I cant afford the minocyclin anyways, apparently its a new type and only has the brand name solodyne and it costs $500/month. Insurance does not cover

Please show this to your parents:

Taking isotretinoin (accutane) and any tetracycline medication (minocycline/solodyn included) together has the potential of causing one of the only dangerous side effects of accutane.

Have your parents look at the website www.solodyn.com. Solodyn is an extended release form of minocycline. From the product's own prescribing information (available on that web site): "Concomitant use of minocycline and isotretinoin should be avoided". The warnings that accompany isotretinoin (accutane, etc.) also specifically warn against all tetracycline type antibiotics, including minocycline.

You also should be able to find these warnings on the information on the isotretinoin (accutane) and minocycline packaging that you have.

Your parents gotta talk to your doctor. "I think it's OK according to him" doesn't cut it. Doctors do make mistakes in prescribing. It is entirely possible that your doctor knows what he is doing, but I would certainly make sure. The potential side effect is very dangerous.

First, and foremost, your parents need to specifically clarify that it is safe to take the antibiotic with the accutane. THIS IS CRITICAL. If they don't want to "confront" your doctor, give the pharmacist a call (ask to talk to the PHARMACIST - otherwise you might talk to the pharm. assistant who isn't qualified to answer your question). Then, if the pharmacist expresses concerns about the med combination, they can call your doctor and say "The pharmacist said I should check with you."

Second, if you can't afford any treatment he prescribes, THEY NEED TO TELL HIM THAT!! Many doctors don't even give one thought to the cost of things they prescribe. They prescribe the "latest and greatest" even if the potential benefit is marginal compared to the older drugs. They assume that insurance will cover it, so what do they care? Other doctors do indeed consider the patient's ability to pay and will adjust their prescriptions to drugs that a patient's insurance will cover.

Don't be passive about this. Give your doc a call and clarify these two things. This is part of his job and you shouldn't be at all hesitant to give him a call. Also, chances are if he has a nurse on staff, she/he can answer your questions.

Lol, the doctor called us today and just told me he forgot to refer me for a blood test becuase of accutane. wow, we dropped him for sure after that. I got a new derm adn he said that minocyclin with the accutane could have definatly increased chances of side effects and was not worth the risk becuase accutane would work well enough on its own. The new derm is definatly better, he even gave us some of his own brand of cleanser for free, pretty nice guy. Im glad i made the change, thanks for helping me out!

Good luck on accutane, it will clear you up, you should be completely clear after your course. make sure you take the pills after a meal. and about the minocin, yeah that derm shouldn't have prescribed it. there are plenty of other non-cycline antibiotics you could take. a doctor (not my derm, the doctor at my school) tried to prescribe me doxycycline for a sinus infection even though i'm on accutane, I had to tell him that you couldn't take the two together!

Lol, the doctor called us today and just told me he forgot to refer me for a blood test becuase of accutane. wow, we dropped him for sure after that. I got a new derm adn he said that minocyclin with the accutane could have definatly increased chances of side effects and was not worth the risk becuase accutane would work well enough on its own. The new derm is definatly better, he even gave us some of his own brand of cleanser for free, pretty nice guy. Im glad i made the change, thanks for helping me out!

Good for you. It pays to be a polite, but assertive "consumer" of medical care. Good luck and have fun!

After a meal? Dammnit! Ill be sure to do that from now on but usually I eat it in the mornings and go to school with no breakfast (I know I should eat but I have a zero period and dont have time)

After a meal? Dammnit! Ill be sure to do that from now on but usually I eat it in the mornings and go to school with no breakfast (I know I should eat but I have a zero period and dont have time)

yes! it's really important that you take it with food (that contains some fat) otherwise it won't be properly absorbed and may not work. if you don't eat breakfast maybe you should awich to taking it after dinner.

accutane will work for you buddy. the same thing pretty much happened to me. im on about month 5 of accutane. my course will probably be 7-8 months. I have no current active acne, but redmarks and plagued my face. check out my gallery. good luck bro

My face is improving, its just a bunch of red marks now(how do you get rid of those? do you just wait it out?) but my main concern is my back, sleeping is a pain! Everyday when I wake up, I look at my sheets and there are a bunch of red spots all over them. It hurts to put a backpack on too and I hate when friends pat my back and it starts bleeding.

I never wear white shirts.

I had mild acne then severe and then clear for a while but now I'm back to mild/severe and basically I used doxycycline, clyndamycin, tazorac, clenia, fenecia, and it kept me really clear for quite some time, but of course it was temporary. accutane really does work well though my cousin had severe acne and he was on it and now his face is cleared the only reason I'm not taking it is the side effects i'm too chicken about that.

I tried head and shoulders from the body acne section of the site for a few days

I dont recommend it at all

I dont think im allergic to H&S becuase I use it on my hair all the time but when i put it on my back it aggravated it so much that i couldnt sleep that night, then the next few days it was itchy, and when you itch you scrape, and when you scrape you bleed :doh:

I tried head and shoulders from the body acne section of the site for a few days

I dont recommend it at all

I dont think im allergic to H&S becuase I use it on my hair all the time but when i put it on my back it aggravated it so much that i couldnt sleep that night, then the next few days it was itchy, and when you itch you scrape, and when you scrape you bleed :doh:

the accutane will take care of your body acne, you just need to be patient, how long have you been using it?

Jesus...your doctor sounds downright dangerous! Are you sure he's a qualified professional? He sounds immature, unprofessional, uncaring and unknowledgable. Actually, he sounds like a quack to me. You might want to look into his credentials and see if maybe this derm should be treating people. Either that or just find a new derm, anyone's gotta be better than him!!!

And I thought mine was bad...

Good luck, I hope you get the results you deserve. :D

You always have vitamin b5 for 9 dollars a month after you get get off from accutane. Combine that with a gentle cleanser morning and night and maybe a healing skin tonic.

My face is improving, its just a bunch of red marks now(how do you get rid of those? do you just wait it out?) but my main concern is my back, sleeping is a pain! Everyday when I wake up, I look at my sheets and there are a bunch of red spots all over them. It hurts to put a backpack on too and I hate when friends pat my back and it starts bleeding.

I never wear white shirts.

You must be touching/picking at your back. Ive had back acne for 3 years now back, but I know that if dont pick at it, it wont bleed.

You need a gentle backwash. Like a moisturizing one. Why moisturizing? Moisturized skin heals faster and better (less scarring).Buy an oil-free* cleanser. Don't scrub too hard or you might open a sore and infect it.

As for what I have done to greatly improve my severe acne

-Cleanse face gently with neutrogena oil-free cleanser

-Apply Vitamin E Honey gel to entire face (dont put around eyes else it'll burn)

-Take 10,000 vitamin A , 50 mg Zinc daily (dont overdose or you`ll have seizures...happened to me)

- Cut 50% of the sugar out of my diet, no more soda...only water

oh yea GOOD LUCK :)

btw ive never tried accutane because of the long term effects. I think i'd rather not risk serious effects that accutane causes.

even if acne sometimes makes me want to be dead.

Your statement above seems kind of strange to me because although accutane has a good record for long term therapeutic effects, there are no long term side effects. The chance of any serious side effect is very small, and if one gets them (such as elevated liver enzymes or blood lipids), they go away quickly after the med is discontinued. The only really serious side effect that is "for sure" is fetal damage if a woman on accutane gets pregant - and even that risk goes away after the med is discontinued for a month.

If the reasons you give are the only ones you have for avoiding accutane, I'd recommend you reconsider. Good luck!

Overall, my backs been improving, I bleed alot less and have been washing it with a gentle anti-acne body wash. I think its working. Maybe I can finally wear white soon

oh yeah, and I also recommend accutane, Only side effect I got was dryness which I control with moturization and a few nose bleeds and with a the unlucky 1% they withdraw them from the medicine at the first sign of detriment.

You must be touching/picking at your back. Ive had back acne for 3 years now back, but I know that if dont pick at it, it wont bleed.
Lucky you. Mine bled without me touching when a cyst would burst from the pressure of leaning against a chair back or moving the wrong way rolling over in bed.

Your statement above seems kind of strange to me because although accutane has a good record for long term therapeutic effects, there are no long term side effects.

That's not entirely true, some of the side effects sometimes persist.

The only really serious side effect that is "for sure" is fetal damage if a woman on accutane gets pregant - and even that risk goes away after the med is discontinued for a month.

You know, they act like this is the case, that any fetus that's exposed is going to be a conehead - but the actual risk is around 10% if i recall correctly.