Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

Stress makes me naughty

Everytime I get stressed out, I seriously want to eat a gallon of icecream (like 10 minutes ago :redface: )

I am a student and finals are in 2 weeks, I am so stressed out and I am blowing my diet everyday! Why cant I just have some self control??????? My stomach is killing me right now!

Stress alone can make you break out, and adding gallon of icecream filled with chocolate chips and im like asking for acne :doh:

Anyone else crave sweets when stressed? What do you do to help it?

Try eating more fat and protein. My sweet cravings totally go away when I am getting enough fat and protein.

Stuff like steak, chicken legs, eggs, raw cream, raw butter and raw whole milk are great.

Raw dairy could be exactly what your body is asking for if you crave ice cream. Perhaps your body needs the calcium and good fats contained in raw whole milk, so it goes for the ice cream because that is the closest substitute.

BAH!!!!!!!!!! eating eggs, meat, veggies or milk is NOT going to curb cravings for SWEET stuff.

Diet/health food people don't GET THAT.

Anyway, there are some fruits that are sweet and not bad for you. Also, there are several ice cream substitutes that are pretty much fat free and/or a treat that is good for you.

By the way, my diet at exam time was peach juice and lemon tarts. I would only emerge for showers and pee breaks. ;)

I also start craving unhealthy food and indulge it when I have a difficult time. It's so hard for me to keep eating healthy, because sometimes I just really need the sugar, then I think "I'll take a small piece" but before I know it I ate it all and got a stomach ache. I really wish I would have more self-control. Sometimes eating sweet fruit helps me not crave candy or unhealthy food.

I think I'm sugar sensitive, because when I eat something with lots of sugar, It really gives me an energy boost.

I know how you feel! When I have tests to study for, I feel the same, and I get really bored studying and just want junk food!! haha Sometimes I just give into it - I'll go to the store and buy lots of candy, LOL. But, I'm always sure to do my green smoothies too, and the rest of the food I eat is healthy, so, it never made me break out. Good luck with your finals!!!! :)

BAH!!!!!!!!!! eating eggs, meat, veggies or milk is NOT going to curb cravings for SWEET stuff.

Diet/health food people don't GET THAT.

Don't knock it 'til you try it. Once you get off the sugar rollercoaster, you'll be amazed. It takes a while to get your body used to lower sugar levels, but once you do, you won't crave it anymore.

Everytime I get stressed out, I seriously want to eat a gallon of icecream (like 10 minutes ago :redface: )

I am a student and finals are in 2 weeks, I am so stressed out and I am blowing my diet everyday! Why cant I just have some self control??????? My stomach is killing me right now!

Stress alone can make you break out, and adding gallon of icecream filled with chocolate chips and im like asking for acne :doh:

Anyone else crave sweets when stressed? What do you do to help it?

All I can say is that this is the same mechanism I described to you on that long message

You're sugar sensitive

Sugar sentivity causes through a mechanism of upregulation a sudden rush of bioavailable endorphines because your levels of neurotransmitters is naturally low and the high sugar rush create a danger/pain response that lead to a massive release of endorphines (as a protection mechanism) which meet upregulated neurotransmitter receptors and boom, it's heaven ... you feel more confident, relaxed and mellow

Then as you withdraw from this mechanism you feel less good maybe a bit sad and pessimist but go on till something very stressful or bad happens, in that moment the natural response is to grab something sweet and re-induce the endorphine orgy so you can feel good again

Eliminating sugar from your diet is not the solution as you won't last more than two weeks

People will tell you that you lack will-power but they don't know any better. Low levels of endorphines causes a slowing down in neurotransmission which means that you just act impulsively and just regret it later, the action of grabbing something sweet occurred before the message could be transmitted and you could think twice about the pro and cons. This is also the reason why you can't stop even to the point of feeling sick or vomiting

The only solution I know is what I suggested to you before:

Don't skip breakfast

Have 3-5 regular meals

Each meal must combine proteins and carbs

You need carbs but no protein in your last meal to create an insulinemic environment which will remove the amino acids (by sending them to the muscles) competing with poor tryptophan for crossing the brain barrier and becoming a neurotransmitter

Don't be afraid of gaining weight ... you won't

As a matter of fact although it may seem an important factor on the paper all the studies I have seen showed that there was no difference in calories stored as fat in people with high levels of insulin and people with low levels. The only meaningful factor was the extra calories. That of insulin = fat gain is another exaggeration with no scientific validation to sell books through the use of a simple (so simple to be wrong) idea

You don't have to make is really complex

And if you indulge in "bad foods" in a meal don't obsess over it and just get back on track on the next meal

If you start on level of consistency of 30% you can slowly reach a 90%

If you set goals that are too fast, too big and too unrealistic you won't be able to last before falling off the wagon when undergoing an habit changing phase

So you must make the goals very small and don't overthink about being perfect but focusing on ever increasing your consistency ... and if you fall don't think you must re-start from the beginning ... just consider the point from which you re-start a better position than your previous beginning and just go on

Small changes means that when planning you meals if you think of somethig carb that you want just make the effort to think of something proteic to combine, and if you think of something proteic that you want just make the effort to think of something carb that you want

If you crave a food make the effort to make it a part of your meal (even if it is chocolate bar or ice cream) rather than an all-sugar snack

The just think of something carby you can eat late in the evening at 9 pm or 10-11 pm .. making it your last snack .. with no added protein ...

These are very realistic small steps that will improve your condition a lot

You need carbs but no protein in your last meal to create an insulinemic environment which will remove the amino acids (by sending them to the muscles) competing with poor tryptophan for crossing the brain barrier and becoming a neurotransmitter

Danny, I've heard this before - very interesting. Do you remember where you learned about this? I'd like to read more about it. Ever thought of becoming a doctor? :)

Danny, I've heard this before - very interesting. Do you remember where you learned about this? I'd like to read more about it.

It's hard to identify a single source because it piling information from many sources

You may start with reading Dr. Elliot Blass work on sugar and neurotransmitters

Also look for the same in pubmed

A good book is "Introduction to Endocrinology" by Dr. Richard Brown and "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty

And the website www.sugaraddict.com

Ever thought of becoming a doctor? :)

I'm not the kind of boy that can stand still obediently listening to his teacher vomiting a lot of nonsense, outdated notions, myth, preconceived ideas and mediocre knowledge ... without protesting

In fact I would protest so much everyday that they'll have to ban me from the school if they want their lessons to continue

I know many alternative doctors, who have later self-taught to themselves new and better notions and ideas about medicine, have standed their accademical training even if they knew most of it was useless and made them burst with anger at the thought of how ignorant educative institutions could be; but I can't be so subservient ... even if I know that after the Ph.D I can forget about all the nonsense and get a real education from self investigation ... I couldn't ever make sense of wasting 10 or more years like that ... okay, well ... paper may become pricey as more trees are disappearing each day ... but 10 years of university taxes to get a single sheet of paper to hand on the wall ... doesn't sound like a good affair :whistle:

when stressed do something productive like play with urself

Hahaha that actually made me laugh out loud, I need to get out more :).

Tbh whats the point in living if you cant be naughty at some points, everyone has a vice, done denie yourself :).

Tbh whats the point in living if you cant be naughty at some points, everyone has a vice, done denie yourself :).

Yeah but one needs some control. What's the point in being naughty if you can't enjoy it because your stomach is killing you? :wacko:

It's hard to identify a single source because it piling information from many sources

You may start with reading Dr. Elliot Blass work on sugar and neurotransmitters

Also look for the same in pubmed

A good book is "Introduction to Endocrinology" by Dr. Richard Brown and "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty

And the website www.sugaraddict.com

Awesome, thanks!

I'm not the kind of boy that can stand still obediently listening to his teacher vomiting a lot of nonsense, outdated notions, myth, preconceived ideas and mediocre knowledge ... without protesting

In fact I would protest so much everyday that they'll have to ban me from the school if they want their lessons to continue

LOL! Yeah, I hear you there. Have you looked into the accredited Naturopathic college though, like Bastyr? Most naturopathic colleges are, well, on the fishy side... but there are six that I know of that are considered credible and that function as a real college functions. I'm sure you'd have problems at these too though, haha, but here's a list: http://www.aanmc.org/col_univ/index.php

I am a pretty big believer in the concept of: If it makes you happy, eat it. So if cake makes you happy, if you want to, eat it. Just dont eat it all day every day.

But then at the same time you have to weigh out if that cake will make you happy later.

I am going through the same thing with finals. Not only do I work 40 hours a week and take 12 hours at school, I just moved out of my apartment, thus making me behind in school because it was an unexpected move (the apartment was pretty much falling apart). So I understand your pain.

I pretty much say to myself: Screw my skin, school is more important than a couple of weeks of breakouts, make sure I dont forget to take all the stuff I take (oils, vitex, guggul etc.) and keep my skin clean and moisturized. So I am going to eat whatever I want, and thats that.

Fortunately for me this time instead of having lots of cravings, I have no appetite! So I have my protein/green drink in the morning, lots of water, maybe some pizza and/or these awesome nut/seed snacks from a company called Mrs. Mays, and my fiber at night and I am good.

Sometimes you just gotta let loose and do what you want, instead of following strict regimes all the time, because it will just burn you out.

I am a pretty big believer in the concept of: If it makes you happy, eat it. So if cake makes you happy, if you want to, eat it. Just dont eat it all day every day.

But then at the same time you have to weigh out if that cake will make you happy later.

I am going through the same thing with finals. Not only do I work 40 hours a week and take 12 hours at school, I just moved out of my apartment, thus making me behind in school because it was an unexpected move (the apartment was pretty much falling apart). So I understand your pain.

I pretty much say to myself: Screw my skin, school is more important than a couple of weeks of breakouts, make sure I dont forget to take all the stuff I take (oils, vitex, guggul etc.) and keep my skin clean and moisturized. So I am going to eat whatever I want, and thats that.

Fortunately for me this time instead of having lots of cravings, I have no appetite! So I have my protein/green drink in the morning, lots of water, maybe some pizza and/or these awesome nut/seed snacks from a company called Mrs. Mays, and my fiber at night and I am good.

Sometimes you just gotta let loose and do what you want, instead of following strict regimes all the time, because it will just burn you out.

Great post! I agree - you have to enjoy life too. Happy or not happy, I love sweets. If I'm down, they do not make me happier, they're just comforting, but when I'm happy, sweets make me even happier, LOL. I definitely don't eat them all the time though - just as a treat. When it comes to tests though - I will sometimes eat way more sweets than normal, and it's just temporary, like a day or two, so it's not a big deal.

It's a good idea to throw in some healthy food though too - maybe get yourself some tasty frozen dinners, or those little soups in box - don't forget popcorn as a great snack (I like adding m&ms!), you can also do a nut mix with some m&ms.

Wow Danny, thanks for that long post and explanation. I always need to read your posts twice in order to fully absorb them haha.

I have figured out from reading about sugar and diabetes, that I am hypoglycemic. What happens to me is that If I go more than 3-4 hours of not eating, my sugar plummets. Most people's sugar level witll steadily fall throughout the day, but mine justs drops within minutes. It boogles my mind that I am sugar sensitive because that then means that I am at pre diabetes level. Its actually pretty scary. But what is so odd, is that I weigh 100 lbs!!! I always thought diabetics were overweight. Yet my mom and grandma are diabetic and I have read that it is heredity.

I have been eating on a small meal basis, 6 meals a day type of thing. I also try to balance my meals with fats, proteins, and carbs. For instance, ill have fish, with a sweet potato, and a salad with olive oil dressing.

Or for a snack ill have an apple with peanut butter. Is it okay to have the apple with a piece of dark chocolate too, or would it need to be a protein vs a fat?

I understand your point of not having a protein right before bed. I have it for dinner and then ill have a piece of fruit before bed.

I really try to stick with this way of eating, but it is hard. Not only does the people around me ridicule me for the way I eat, but I do get the cravings too. BTW Danny, I thought you would be proud to know that I kicked the starbucks habitt out :clap:

When you said that I grab the sugary snack before it registers in my head... i dont agree. What happens is that I will contemplate it in my head for at least an hour before actually going for it. If I let myself think of the sugar as an option, I will usually eat it. But I have been getting better. However, I just wanted to clarify that it is very very almost too very lol well thought out BEFORE and AFTER consumption.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help and time ;)