Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
disappeared

How many people would admit they were depressed?

When you're at your derm appointment and they ask you if your mood has changed and if you've been feeling depressed or suicidal, would you tell them if you were.

Because if you admit you're suicidal, you'd be taken off accutane, and you're acne will remain. Would you be honest with them?

i dunno, probably not because i would like to stay on accutane. maybe if i was suicidal i would, but not if i was slightly depressed i wouldn't

It's really a catch-22.

If you were really suicidal and wanted to kill yourself - you probably wouldn't care about getting better, after all, you want to kill yourself.

I'm a pretty rational/logical person - so even if I felt like shit, I'd probably be rational enough to realise I *used* to be fine, took accutane and now I think my life sucks enough to kill mself - but I'd remember that once I stop taking accutane I'll like my life again - and I'd know that I'd like my life even more without acne.

So, I'd lie to my derm, and then just *not kill myself* ;)

I did, but mine didn't say, "Oh. Well, we're going to have to take you off." I wasn't suicidal though. I was also experiencing excruciating migraine headaches, so my dosage was decreased. That really didn't affect me at all. If anything, it made me feel better.

I would lie. If I didn't lie, I would explain that any thoughts I had, had nothing to do with accutane and were there before I started.

I had this problem when I needed to go on anti depressants for a reason other than depression. I was afraid that my doctor would freak out and take me off accutane! She didn't take me off it, and it might be because I did tell her that the accutane had helped me greatly, and made me feel a hell of a lot better. Also, telling her my problems started a few YEARS before accutane made me 100% sure it wasn't accutane.

But in another situation, I'd do whatever I could to get the medication I needed.

u have to realize this is america and we are OVERLY litigious. i mean look at the Ipledge program its insanity.

your derm would be obligated to take you off to cover his own ass. even if he disagreed with the policy.

i always lied. i know that the emotional rollercoaster is normal on any drug that is going to have such side effects or change your appearance.

and you know what at my last appt. my derm and i got to talking and he said he was on accutane 3 years ago and just started a second course again! he says the worst thing for a derm is to have a face full of acne. haha.

even a derm feels self conscious while on accutane. because its HUMAN. but here in america you have to be superhuman on paper so LIE.

When you're at your derm appointment and they ask you if your mood has changed and if you've been feeling depressed or suicidal, would you tell them if you were.

Because if you admit you're suicidal, you'd be taken off accutane, and you're acne will remain. Would you be honest with them?

My derm told me if I start feeling "weepy" (her exact words) I can go on an antidepressant during the course.

When they first asked about depression, I didn't tell them I had been treated in the past for it. I just told them I had anxiety and panic disorder.

My derm told me if I start feeling "weepy" (her exact words) I can go on an antidepressant during the course.

When they first asked about depression, I didn't tell them I had been treated in the past for it. I just told them I had anxiety and panic disorder.

My derm said the same thing. I think some derms are really paranoid due to liability reasons. Mine is very experienced with accutane and would try antidepressants before discontinuing treatment. I mean come on, sometimes the acne might be causing the depression and especially with the IB. So discontinuing treatment might not be the best option. I really don't think enough is known about the accutane/depression link yet. My derm also said if my cholesterol goes up we would try a drug to lower it before taking me off too.

Depression is not neccessarily "just feeling down", you have to experience it to truly know what it is, it makes it very hard to think rationally and logically and involves and incredibly amount of suffering well beyond anything acne could ever make you go through, if you have never been through depression i garuantee you would stop tane to get rid of it.

^^I agree when I used to suffer from panic attacks which made me very depressed, I would have done anything to just feel even half as normal instead of a zombie. Once you go past the crying stage that's when you gotta worry!