Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Helping Hand

Everybody.. I have a very effective way to help with acne.

First of all I've suffered from face and body acne since about 13 or 14. It was pretty severe for a while, and I still struggle with it.

Anyway. After going to college this year I decided I was going to try my hardest to beat this thing, and I've found that through a combination of good hygiene, good diet (I read Necromancer's post, and his dietary recomendations seem to me right on), and exercise. I beleive exercise is the single most important facet of eliminating your acne.

Lifting, though beneficial, does not do much. I've found that when I run, that is do aerobic exercise, for roughly 20-30 minutes, about 4 times a week, I see a marked improvement in everything related to my skin. Pimples and cysts decrease in size or fade away all together, skin has a healthier and more even tone, less blackheads, smaller pimples, less oil, and it maintains.

I had a very bad breakout a couple of weeks ago, and I vowed that I would try and kick it through exercise, so I ran 2-3 miles 6 days that week. Usually 2 miles takes me roughly 16 minutes, so I would go to the gym or do situps or pushups as well. Anyway, after that week in which I had very bad skin, throughout all the next week it receded every day, and even though I haven't been running every day because I messed up my ankle, I am still seeing very positive looking skin with not even a single pimple since then.

I urge you guys to try it.

Just do sustained periods of aerobic activity (you have to breathing hard, and I know that running works the best for me) for roughly a half of an hour each day. Within a week you will start to see the benefits.

I also haven't made any other posts before... but I registered simply so I could tell you guys this. Anybody who tries out this method and sees results please post.

that is interesting I wonder if it has to do with the sweating. Maybe the sweating actually cleans out your pores of all the bad junk and if you wash right afterwards you get rid of a greater amount of pore cloggers then when you just wash and don't work out. Anyone else had results like this?

I just turned 19...

And sweating is probably part of the benefit. But I also hold the belief that it is likely the fact that while doing aerobic exercise we breath very heavily, and for some reason that helps.

And yes, I immediately take a shower after I sweat.

I was doing lots and lots of exercise and sweating in the summer... unfortunately didn't clear me up. Now exercise is just sort of my lifestyle and I get probably 10-25 minutes of it outdoors every day assuming it's not raining on weekdays, and much more on weekends... it's just one piece of the puzzle, with sleep, diet, topicals, (lack of) stress and mental outlook being the others.

There are a couple reasons this works well. One is that it's aerobic so it gets your blood (and the nutrients it carries) moving and that will really help your skin. It also helps eliminate extra enegry and toxins through the actual act of running and through sweating. I can definately see how this could help with acne. I must tyr this! Another reason I think this could help is because, I used to be much more active (before I had acne) and I was very healthy. I then got a very busy schedule so I couldn't exercise as much. That's when I started getting acne. It's all coming together now! lol

Exercise is the next stop for me in this never ending struggle.

Daily, vigorous aerobic exercise (as opposed to short workout periods designed to raise androgen levels and build muscle, or more sporadic exercise) and a diet which is adequate yet more moderate in terms of fat and total calorie intake have been shown to reduce baseline insulin levels as well as baseline total and free testosterone[12], which would significantly lower baseline DHT.

Yea I've introduced alot of other things to my regimen that are somewhat effective.. but the biggest improvement I've noticed has come through running for an extended period of time.

I just urge you guys to try it, because it def. worked for me.

First of all I've suffered from face and body acne since about 13 or 14. It was pretty severe for a while, and I still struggle with it.

Anyway. After going to college this year I decided I was going to try my hardest to beat this thing, and I've found that through a combination of good hygiene, good diet (I read Necromancer's post, and his dietary recomendations seem to me right on), and exercise. I beleive exercise is the single most important facet of eliminating your acne.

Lifting, though beneficial, does not do much. I've found that when I run, that is do aerobic exercise, for roughly 20-30 minutes, about 4 times a week, I see a marked improvement in everything related to my skin. Pimples and cysts decrease in size or fade away all together, skin has a healthier and more even tone, less blackheads, smaller pimples, less oil, and it maintains.

I had a very bad breakout a couple of weeks ago, and I vowed that I would try and kick it through exercise, so I ran 2-3 miles 6 days that week. Usually 2 miles takes me roughly 16 minutes, so I would go to the gym or do situps or pushups as well. Anyway, after that week in which I had very bad skin, throughout all the next week it receded every day, and even though I haven't been running every day because I messed up my ankle, I am still seeing very positive looking skin with not even a single pimple since then.

I urge you guys to try it.

Just do sustained periods of aerobic activity (you have to breathing hard, and I know that running works the best for me) for roughly a half of an hour each day. Within a week you will start to see the benefits.

I also haven't made any other posts before... but I registered simply so I could tell you guys this. Anybody who tries out this method and sees results please post.

It's probably because of the increased blood flow, and the fact that the body disposes of waste products faster when put under physical pressure. Now, I don't know which pulse levels you reach on your workouts, but I believe the effect you are seeing is based on the intensity of your excercise. When your pulse reach the anaerob limit (sorry I'm not quite sure what it is called in english, but it's about 80-90% of your maximum capacity) the body's ability to dispose of waste products. These waste products could very well be some of those which will eventually end up clogging up your pores.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

IF I'm unclear in this, I apologise. I don't usually talk about this stuff in English :doh:

Yah i used to run 5-8km 3 times a week, and my acne just kinda got worse over time. I find exercise doesn't really help, but hey if it works for you keep on doing it. Oh btw, does anywho know if weed affects acne? Just wondering cause mine got a lot worse ever since i started.

I don't know if weed effects acne... but here's what I do know.

I've smoked for close to four years, two of which were pretty much every day. I've moments of very bad acne and very good skin during that time.

I know that weed relaxes your muscles, and since I generally think that elss activity = more acne, then I think weed has a somewhat detrimental effect.

But I also know that weed releives my stress... so who knows?

I'm sure if it does effect acne it's negligible.

Yah i used to run 5-8km 3 times a week, and my acne just kinda got worse over time. I find exercise doesn't really help, but hey if it works for you keep on doing it. Oh btw, does anywho know if weed affects acne? Just wondering cause mine got a lot worse ever since i started.

"Marijuana aggravates acne because it lowers testosterone levels then raises these levels producing an imbalance in hormones"

This is from an anti-acne guide given to me by my esthetician who specializes in acne treatment-- I am not sure where the research comes from but I am sure yoou could easily find out (internet search).

Well if not for acne do it for good health. The secrets to a healthy old age are mental stimulation, either by learning or somethign or social interaction, a balanced diet and exercise. Just take Jack Palance(Curly off of City Slickers RIP), when he was 75 and won the Oscar he got up and did bare knuckle pushups on stage. That guy was fit. I don't know many people my age(23) that can do bare knuckle pushups. I'm in excellent shape and I certainly can't, not on a hard surface.

:boohoo:

I don't know if weed effects acne... but here's what I do know.

I've smoked for close to four years, two of which were pretty much every day. I've moments of very bad acne and very good skin during that time.

I know that weed relaxes your muscles, and since I generally think that elss activity = more acne, then I think weed has a somewhat detrimental effect.

But I also know that weed releives my stress... so who knows?

I'm sure if it does effect acne it's negligible.

I can vouch that running every day for a week will help immensely with acne.

I've done it in the past, when I was experimenting with possible acne cures.

Not only is it just an overall healthy thing to do, but it specifically helps with many parts of acne.

Aerobic activity reduces stress immensely; try running for 20 minutes and then feeling stressed about something, it's almost impossible. We all know that less stress = less acne

Aerobic activity releases the happy hormone (endorphines I believe), and mood effects acne as well. When you are in a good mood, you are much more resistant to infections.

Aerobic activity oxygenates the body, imagine your body is an oven... when you make it run at higher than normal temperatures, it burns away all the crap that's been stuck there for a while. (ok, even though it doesn't work exactly like this, it's the best analogy I could come up with)

Aerobic activity promotes healthy bowel movements. Good bowel movements, that really allow you to clean your body out, require motion. If you're running for 30 minutes, all that shaking really speeds up the bowel process and helps a lot.

Aerobic activity makes you tired! And therefore people usually get a good night's sleep, which is also crucial to clearing up your acne.

Finally, if you're running during the day, you will also be getting the sunlight which is crucial for your acne to disappear in record speeds.

Now, running does ALLof these things!

The trick is to do it very consistently.

Note: There is one thing which is very important to take into consideration. Exercising like this, especially if you're just starting off as I'm sure most people would be, can make your body more acidic (although whether this is countered by healthy breathing, a happy mood & reduced stress is unknown (all these previously mentioned things promote alkalinity))

I would advise people to eat slightly more alkalizing foods when exercising. This means more greens than usual, or one of my personal favorites, lemon water.

OK, even though Sweetjade likes to have the world's longest posts... I'm going to have to add one more thing to exercising.

One thing that I've been experimenting with recently is sprinting.

Why? Well... because going out for a 'jog' takes time. What if I could get the same results in 1/10th of the time?

Anyhow, I've been testing out how efficient sprints are. I literally put running shoes on, an extra sweater (and it's -5 outside) and run out of my place!

I keep on running for as fast as I can until I run out of steam (which usually takes about 2 minutes) then I recuperate for 1-2 minutes and sprint back to my place as fast as I can. Usually I can't sprint the whole way back, so I end up walking a third of the way back, which is great because it allows me to slow down before I get back inside. Now the neighbors must think I'm crazy and sprinting without a warm up might give someone a heart attack, but it's been pretty good to me so far.

In about 4-5 minutes which requires no preparation,

I get a massive workout (I can feel my muscles afterwards),

I am massively oxygenating my body (extremely heavy breathing, it's like you can't get enough air, but I'm going to assume my lungs are working at 100% capacity, which is great!)

It's pretty decent for stress, not as good as a long jog, but for 4-5 min... it's pretty decent.

Mood wise? I don't think I'm doing it long enough for it to really affect my mood, I would have to try doing this on a more consistent basis, the only reason I'm smiling is because I'm imagining my neighbors seeing me running out of my house like a mad man.

Lastly, I really ENJOY sprinting. It's more fun than jogging, I like going fast and there's no feeling like the one that you get after you just used up every last single drop of energy you had.

Which makes me wonder... maybe the running is good because you use up all the excess energy that we have. Maybe we burn up all the sugar!

I'll test this theory out this week and post the findings on here and on my site.

I run 5 miles 5 days a week and have seen no improvement in my skin and I have exercised pretty much my whole life consistantly. I am 28. I exercise for health reasons. I wish it did make my skin better. I am now on accutane. Just putting my two cents in.

Not only is it just an overall healthy thing to do, but it specifically helps with many parts of acne.

Aerobic activity reduces stress immensely; try running for 20 minutes and then feeling stressed about something, it's almost impossible. We all know that less stress = less acne

Aerobic activity releases the happy hormone (endorphines I believe), and mood effects acne as well. When you are in a good mood, you are much more resistant to infections.

Aerobic activity oxygenates the body, imagine your body is an oven... when you make it run at higher than normal temperatures, it burns away all the crap that's been stuck there for a while. (ok, even though it doesn't work exactly like this, it's the best analogy I could come up with)

Aerobic activity promotes healthy bowel movements. Good bowel movements, that really allow you to clean your body out, require motion. If you're running for 30 minutes, all that shaking really speeds up the bowel process and helps a lot.

Aerobic activity makes you tired! And therefore people usually get a good night's sleep, which is also crucial to clearing up your acne.

Finally, if you're running during the day, you will also be getting the sunlight which is crucial for your acne to disappear in record speeds.

Note: There is one thing which is very important to take into consideration. Exercising like this, especially if you're just starting off as I'm sure most people would be, can make your body more acidic (although whether this is countered by healthy breathing, a happy mood & reduced stress is unknown (all these previously mentioned things promote alkalinity))

I would advise people to eat slightly more alkalizing foods when exercising. This means more greens than usual, or one of my personal favorites, lemon water.

OK, even though Sweetjade likes to have the world's longest posts... I'm going to have to add one more thing to exercising.

Why? Well... because going out for a 'jog' takes time. What if I could get the same results in 1/10th of the time?

Anyhow, I've been testing out how efficient sprints are. I literally put running shoes on, an extra sweater (and it's -5 outside) and run out of my place!

I keep on running for as fast as I can until I run out of steam (which usually takes about 2 minutes) then I recuperate for 1-2 minutes and sprint back to my place as fast as I can. Usually I can't sprint the whole way back, so I end up walking a third of the way back, which is great because it allows me to slow down before I get back inside. Now the neighbors must think I'm crazy and sprinting without a warm up might give someone a heart attack, but it's been pretty good to me so far.

I am massively oxygenating my body (extremely heavy breathing, it's like you can't get enough air, but I'm going to assume my lungs are working at 100% capacity, which is great!)

It's pretty decent for stress, not as good as a long jog, but for 4-5 min... it's pretty decent.

Mood wise? I don't think I'm doing it long enough for it to really affect my mood, I would have to try doing this on a more consistent basis, the only reason I'm smiling is because I'm imagining my neighbors seeing me running out of my house like a mad man.

Lastly, I really ENJOY sprinting. It's more fun than jogging, I like going fast and there's no feeling like the one that you get after you just used up every last single drop of energy you had.

Which makes me wonder... maybe the running is good because you use up all the excess energy that we have. Maybe we burn up all the sugar!

I'll test this theory out this week and post the findings on here and on my site.

yeah I have a friend who runs marathons and who has acne. I personally suspect that he might be very acidic, putting a lot of stress on his system.

Aye, accutane :\

Been there, done that too. I would recommend reading the 'post accutane' posts on this board.

Hmmm well.. like I said.. I found that through a combination of techniques expressed in my first post... so maybe your marathon friend has a poor diet and doesn't shower or wash his face afterwards.

Or maybe it just doesn't work for everyone. Still, it def. works for me, and I think people should try it.

thank you so much for your info on sprinting! I would have never thought of this-hate to exercise but getting it done with sounds great. Any documentation that sprints are equivilant to running?