Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
louisiana

new to minocycline

hi everyone!

i have a few questions and i'm not exactly sure if this is in the right spot, but oh well...

so, i'm about to turn 16 and have had very, very persistent but mild acne for at least 5 years now. i visited the derm today and i'm starting on my first antibiotic for acne ever. i was prescribed 50mg minocin, a 5% benzoyl peroxide wash, and 0.025% tretinoin cream. like i said, i've never used an antibiotic for my acne until now, i've only used topical treatments. so my question is: i've been poking around this board and basically i'm under the impression that there is no initial breakout with the minocin, but she warned me a lot about an initial breakout with the treinoin. i know it's hard to evaluate on the internet, but can anyone tell me what i can expect with this regimen?

thanks ! xx

I'm on 200mg of Minocycline a day...very high dose. It will do LOTS of good to help you avoid an intial breakout. Hope you like it :D

hi everyone!

so my question is: i've been poking around this board and basically i'm under the impression that there is no initial breakout with the minocin, but she warned me a lot about an initial breakout with the treinoin. i know it's hard to evaluate on the internet, but can anyone tell me what i can expect with this regimen?

well you can expect everything.. from perfectly clear skin to the state where you'll be dreaming about accutane. you've been prescribed one of the strongest combination of acne drugs ... although quite mild strengths. my advice would be to start using minocycline for some time (until your acne starts to improve) on its own then include retin-a and continue for at least 4 months. have fun! :)

thanks!

one more thing: the benzoyl wash and probably going along with it being cold outside is making my skin reaaaaally really dry. i have cetaphil moisturizer but i'm still really flaky and it's hard to put makeup over skin like that so i was wondering if there was any natural kind of thing i could do?? i don't really want to add any new kind of treatment thing into the regime yet so any ideas would be appreciated... :D