Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rdjersey

accutane and antibiotics

I have been on Accutane for about six months topping out at 60 mgs. I just ordered online without doctor. It really has not helped much because i still get cysts often. Should I stop all together or I was thinking about taking antibiotics with only about 10 mgs a day. Also when you come off of Accutane do you just stop all at once or slowly cycle off. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I have been on Accutane for about six months topping out at 60 mgs. I just ordered online without doctor. It really has not helped much because i still get cysts often. Should I stop all together or I was thinking about taking antibiotics with only about 10 mgs a day. Also when you come off of Accutane do you just stop all at once or slowly cycle off. Thanks in advance for any responses.

This might be an example of why you shouldn't self prescribe any medication unless you really know the drug backwards and forwards.

Taking the wrong type of antibiotic while on accutane is one of the two biggest "no-no's". (the other one is getting pregnant). Certain types of antibiotics are the only drugs I know of that are absolutely contraindicated with accutane. So if you don't know which ones or understand this completly, do not take any antibiotics.

You haven't mentioned what your dosage schedule was (how much for how long, etc.). what your body weight is, how you are taking it, what your initial condition was compared to your current condition, etc. You haven't mentioned what your blood work has been doing. I do't know what to say other than be careful and good luck.

I would try a derm. There may not have even been any accutane in the stuff you bought. It's expensive but you need to decide if your cysts are bad enough. They may make you wait to start another course, though.

Oh, and you can just quit the accutane all at once. That's what the derm would recommend.