Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ty13

Bowel movements on Accutate

First, I appologize if this is too graphic of information:

I've always had problems with my bowel movements, on average I used to only get one or two a week and they were usually quite soft, but was never an issue so I never worried about it. When I went on accutane, they seemed to be more solid and more frequent, I would almost say I was a regular normal person, it was great. Sometimes there would be a little blood, but thought nothing much of it as I thought I had read previously on this website that it's just a little damage to the intenstines because the movements were harder and it was somewhat normal. Well now I'm pretty much plugged, hardly anything comes out, except drops of blood. I've been using exlax to help, and it will as 12 hours after I take it I'll usually have diarrhea (sp?) for one movement, and then I'm back to square one. I know you're supposed to only take exlax no more than 2 weeks, and it's already been 1 week. It takes at least 2 weeks to get into my doctor and he doesn't get back into his office until Wed. this week for me to even make an appointment, in other words the soonest I can see him is 3 1/2 weeks since this all started. Is this something I should go to emergency about, or can I wait until I get in to see him?? I'm afraid they'll take me off accutane and I've only got 1 more month left.

Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do?

I've always had problems with my bowel movements, on average I used to only get one or two a week and they were usually quite soft, but was never an issue so I never worried about it. When I went on accutane, they seemed to be more solid and more frequent, I would almost say I was a regular normal person, it was great. Sometimes there would be a little blood, but thought nothing much of it as I thought I had read previously on this website that it's just a little damage to the intenstines because the movements were harder and it was somewhat normal. Well now I'm pretty much plugged, hardly anything comes out, except drops of blood. I've been using exlax to help, and it will as 12 hours after I take it I'll usually have diarrhea (sp?) for one movement, and then I'm back to square one. I know you're supposed to only take exlax no more than 2 weeks, and it's already been 1 week. It takes at least 2 weeks to get into my doctor and he doesn't get back into his office until Wed. this week for me to even make an appointment, in other words the soonest I can see him is 3 1/2 weeks since this all started. Is this something I should go to emergency about, or can I wait until I get in to see him?? I'm afraid they'll take me off accutane and I've only got 1 more month left.

I really think the blood issue that we talk about on this forum is from anal fissures or skin tags. And you don't really bleed until have a bowel movement and then wipe. The fissures generally don't cause drops of blood to come out if no poop is coming out. Oh, and fissures cause it to hurt to poo right in the anus. The anal pain is kind of a tip off that the blood is no big deal. But if you are bleeding with no pain, it might be serious. Accutane doesn't cause internal bleeding as a regular side effect. If you are bleeding internally, you need to get checked out very soon, if not today.

Platinum

Call his office and ask to speak to one of the nurses. If they feel it is urgent, they will make an appt available to you.

Constipation is often caused by dehydration. Tane really dries you out. Make sure that you are drinking a lot of fluids, and eating foods with a high moisture content (like fruit).

I would recommend against ExLax, as it is a laxative. I would try a fiber supplement like Citrucel. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and it works really well for me.

Make sure you are eating soluble fibers, and until this resolves itself, avoid insoluble fiber. You can google "soluble fiber foods" and find lists of recommended foods.

If you eat fruit like apples and pears, eat them without the skin. Avoid raw vegetables and most whole grains. Eat oatmeal, bananas, etc.

Also, make sure you are eating plenty of healthy fats...olive oil, avocado, fish oil, etc... Too little fats will bind you up.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies: regarding the Citrucel, how long before I'd see any results?? Is it like exlax where you see results in 12 hours, or would it be after I take it for a week or two??

For whomever asked, I'm on 120mg/day. I'm also notoriously bad for not drinking enough fluids. I might have one glass of fluid a day (usually ginger ale) plus the milk in my cereal bowl in the morning. I guess that might explain why I've dried up.

How about your fiber intake? If your not taking much fiber, try taking alot of fiber for a while. Fiber is very good for you, have some banannas because they contain fiber and potassium which helps with bowel movements.

Buy a box of pitted prunes. I bought some; I take one after a meal and it really helps me to have a normal bowel movement. In fact, I've been having 3-4 normal ones.

That's a big dose and virtually no water - there's your problem right there. You HAVE to drink your water, you'll see a big difference. I wouldn't take supplemental fiber on such a low water intake, it'll just turn into a brick. Fruit sources like bananas and prunes would be better for now.

Unless it's a lot of blood you really don't need to go to the emergency room. If it's just a few drops of bright red blood it's most likely coming from a little tear in the anoderm due to the dryness from the Accutane. Accutane can dehydrate you a little and cause constipation, which compounds the problem, as the stolls become harder which can further tear the anoderm.....resulting in something called a fissure. You know you have one when it hurts like hell to go and bleeds almost everytime.

I'd avoid exlax for now, the diarrhea it causes might make it worse, even though you'd think it'd make it better. You should try to eat more fiber, and consider a fiber supplement, like Metamucil, or plain psllium husk (but it's nasty)....I'm using Citrucel right now. Whenever you take a fiber supplement you need to drink a lot of water (at least 64oz. a day). Try to eat more fruits and veggies....they have fiber too......You can also take a stool softner if the fiber alone isn't working (it should though)....

Use baby wipes instead of TP, and apply a little Aquaphor there to keep it from drying out. Also soking in a warm bath with epsom salts should help........

If all else fails see a doctor..........not your derm though, go to a GP or a gastroenterologist, and just make them aware you are on Accutane. You should mention it to your derm at the next visit..........

Thanks for the replies: regarding the Citrucel, how long before I'd see any results?? Is it like exlax where you see results in 12 hours, or would it be after I take it for a week or two??

For whomever asked, I'm on 120mg/day. I'm also notoriously bad for not drinking enough fluids. I might have one glass of fluid a day (usually ginger ale) plus the milk in my cereal bowl in the morning. I guess that might explain why I've dried up.

Call his office and ask to speak to one of the nurses. If they feel it is urgent, they will make an appt available to you.

Constipation is often caused by dehydration. Tane really dries you out. Make sure that you are drinking a lot of fluids, and eating foods with a high moisture content (like fruit).

I would recommend against ExLax, as it is a laxative. I would try a fiber supplement like Citrucel. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and it works really well for me.

Make sure you are eating soluble fibers, and until this resolves itself, avoid insoluble fiber. You can google "soluble fiber foods" and find lists of recommended foods.

If you eat fruit like apples and pears, eat them without the skin. Avoid raw vegetables and most whole grains. Eat oatmeal, bananas, etc.

Also, make sure you are eating plenty of healthy fats...olive oil, avocado, fish oil, etc... Too little fats will bind you up.

Good luck!

^^^very good advise^^^

YES DO THIS ASAP:

1. CALL DOCTOR

2. buy prunes, peanuts, apples, oranges, bannanas, (mostly prunes peanuts and apples) GO ON AN ALL FRUIT DIET!!!!!

3.AND TRUST ME THIS WORKS TAKE SOME WATER PUT IT IN A COPPER TANK OR POT OR EVEN COPPER WIRE AND LET SIT OVER NIGHT THEN DRINK THE COPPER DOES SOMETHIGN TO THE WATER ITS VERY HELPFULL OR YOU CAN HEAT SOME WATER ON THE STOVE ADD SOME LEMON/LIME JUICE (ABOUT A TABLESPOON OR TWO) AND ADD A TABLE SPOON OF SALT! DRINK ALL OF IT IT WORKS WONDERS PREFFERABLY TAKEN BEFORE BED AND WHEN YOU WAKE UP YOU SHOULD HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT UNLESS ITS TOO BAD THEN TRY AGAIN USUALLY SEE RESULTS NEXT MORNING TRUST ME I WS SSSSOOOOOO BACKED UP AND I DRANK 3 or 4 cups of this and next morning (not like exlax but...) it was a nice 'passing of wastes' confortable no pain really rehydratyes you.

if too severe go to emergency room tell em your on accutane and are have rectal bleeding and you shouldnt have a problem getting a doctor to see you. OR CALL THE iPledge number and ask them...

YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW HELPFULL AND SAFE THE STEPS I MENTIONED ABOVE USING EXLAX DEPRIVES YOUR BODY OF VITAMINES GO GET SOME VITAMINS AND RESTOCK YOUR BODY YOU ARE DEPLETTED MOST DEFFINETALLY IF YOUVE USED EXLAX FOR A WEEK!!!!!!

and also ive tried the lime warm water mxture it works, i have yet to try the copper thing but its suppose to be the more effective of the two (but by little if im not mistaken)

and drink gatoraid instead of water (but not oo much gatoraid poweraid will rehydrate you SO MUCH better than water)