Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I'm an 18 year old college freshmen. About 2 months ago, I suddenly started getting bad acne. For the past 2-3 years my face has been clear. I had mild acne when I was a young adolscent, but nothing recently. I've been using prescription BP for the past few years. Over the summer, I went to a dermatologist (because my sister had an appt and i had some small whiteheads on my jawline from shaving) and she told me to wash with clenia foaming wash and then apply bp in the morning, then wash with cetaphil and apply differin at night. This didn't seem to help or worsen my skin at first, however right before going to college, my skin started getting slightly worse. It got progressively worse during the first couple weeks of school, then i started pledging a frat (getting very little sleep, no exercise, lots of stress) and it started getting really bad. I went off the clenia and differin and went back to my old regimen (cetaphil and bp in the morning and night) and it seemed to help a little bit, but not much. The acne I'm getting is also much different than the acne I got when I was younger. This acne is large, deep red pimples that usually don't have a head. When I apply BP, it usually just dries out the surface, but doesn't go deep enough to get rid of it. My new acne is causing me A LOT of stress and I'm beginning to get antisocial. I make up excuses to not go out so i dont have to see people. I've included some before and after pictures in this thread. If anyone has any recommendations, please help, I'm in desperate need of it. Thanks.

EDIT: I think its probably obvious which are the before/after pictures? The 1st, 3rd, and 4th picture were taken last summer. The 2nd, 5th, and 6th were taken today.

post-50360-1164054032_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054038_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054044_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054079_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054086_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054092_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054032_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054038_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054044_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054079_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054086_thumb.jpg

post-50360-1164054092_thumb.jpg

Hey 99, did you go to college near your hometown, or someplace far away? I ask b/c the same thing happened when I moved 500 miles away to go to college. And every time I move to a different climate, my skin changes. Think it might be climate related?

Hey 99, did you go to college near your hometown, or someplace far away? I ask b/c the same thing happened when I moved 500 miles away to go to college. And every time I move to a different climate, my skin changes. Think it might be climate related?

ya same thing happens to me!

When i go on vacation some place far my skin suddenly gets oilier or ill get more zits...like i went to vegas recently and after 2 days in the hotel i broke out.

but i think 99 might have more a case of razor bumps...id say he needs a softer shaving cream and to shave with the grain.

my brother had something similar but he used an electric razor alot of it was ingrown hair acne.

The only thing I can think of is less sleep and more stress due to college. Stress can really affect your skin, unfortunately. Try not to worry too much about it :comfort: Like someone else said in this thread, you're still good-looking, and i'm sure your friends won't mind :D Good luck! :angel: I hope you feel better soon

I only started getting inflammatory acne when i was late 17 now i'm 18. Use to only get tiny spots one a month maybe. I still got it although BP and mild cleansing controls it well. I think it might just be a hormonal change or something.

Alright, so I went to the dermatologist and see changed my regimen to:

Morning:

-gentle cleanser

-Nicomide tab with breakfast (oral)

-Noeboenz all over face

-spot treat with Klaron

Evening:

-gentle cleanser

-Nicomide tab with dinner (oral)

-Retin-A Micro all over face

-spot treat with Klaron

Has anyone used these products before? I really would rather prefer a simpler regimen because I hate the idea of my face becoming dependent on such a large number of products. Also, the dermatologist I saw seemed relatively unconcerned with the large red pimples I'm getting and more concerned with small blackheads on my nose and oil on my forehead(both of which I could care less about at this point). Does anyone have any recommendations for a less extensive regimen I could use with some of the products I have? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm considering dropping all the prescriptions altogether. For the most part, prescriptions have only made my skin worse. Before I started using stuff other than otc cleansers, I had pretty clear skin. I began spot treating with my sisters benzaclin early in high school; it helped, but i didn't break out if i didn't use it. Then last summer I went to the derm for tiny little bumps I got from shaving. Other than that, my skin was pretty much flawless. She prescribed clenia, benzaclin, and differin, and my skin slowly began to get worse. My thinking is that all the new products were drying my skin up, which causes my body to produce more sebum, resulting in more acne. Could that be a possibility? Anyone with an educated opinion, please share your advice because this is really starting to mess with my self-esteem and even my overall outlook on life.

Ive actually been experiancing the exact samething, and mine is almost identical, ive been givin some products to use and ive been through different types of products. Im also looking for a way to fight this and in the summer I was using exposed and when i got off that things actually cleared up good, but now ive broken out again and decided it was time to start using products again.. =/

Hi,

It's a good possibility that your acne is flaring/changing because of your move away to college. It could be changes in diet, changes in water, stress, etc. -- When you go away to college for the first time, your system overall goes into a little bit of SHOCK.

Your acne may lessen (or calm) after a while...I'm sure you've been through a lot recently!

I just posted my first (and probably only) topic on acne.org, and it has to do with internal detox flush. If you'd like to read and try it, maybe it will help: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=127875&hl=

Good luck,

HappyGurl

yeah, i agree with most of you that its probably being caused by the changes in my lifestyle (diet, stress, sleeping patterns, etc). however, once i get fully settled in (pretty much once i'm done pledging), instead of my acne going away naturally, my face will now be dependent on all these new chemicals and i really don't want to be spending 20 minutes applying acne medication to my face every morning and night for the next however many years. does that make sense to anyone?

Maybe instead of putting the chemicals on your face you should just try other stuff like.. taking vitamins. Multi vitamins. Because if it's not to do with bacteria it's probably an internal thing which can't be treated by 'chemicals' as you call them. And then you won't become dependant on them. Well, thats just my opinion

hey yeah you're good-looking either way.. darn frat guys.

anyways, just to warn you the retin-a micro will make you face a lot worse before it gets better. since bp is working for you, i would say to continue to use it. if you dare, try proactiv.. eh, i hesitate to say proactiv as it's only a quick fix and is kinda bad for your skin in the long run but maybe use the first order and then stop using proactiv and continue using a soft cleanser and moisturiser and then use bp at night. or maybe try salicylic acid which imo is better, something like paula's choice.. works great.

GOOD LUCK with the acne and the frat. what crazy things did they make you do?

hey guys,

so i stopped using most of the products my derm gave me and my skin definitely seems to be getting better. for the past couple days i've just been washing in the morning and night with cetaphil and taking the nicomide. i'm gunna continue this for a few weeks and see what happens, but it looks like the products my derm prescribed were causing the acne. wish i had never even gone to the derm for those razor bumps because now im stuck with some scars and red marks...

Hopefully things get better for you, I personally dont like topicals either.... I'm not a fan of BP, it ages skin... and by the way you are VERY good looking :).

your skin isnt bad dude. i would drop the topicals and the antibiotics. i think just a gentle cleanser, good diet, plenty of water, and maybe some meditation would help you out. it could definitely be stressed related!

hey guys,

so i stopped using most of the products my derm gave me and my skin definitely seems to be getting better. for the past couple days i've just been washing in the morning and night with cetaphil and taking the nicomide. i'm gunna continue this for a few weeks and see what happens, but it looks like the products my derm prescribed were causing the acne. wish i had never even gone to the derm for those razor bumps because now im stuck with some scars and red marks...

I also started breaking out pretty much as soon as i went to college, i don't know if it's stress or what, anyway. some meds actually can make acne worse when you first start using them but it doesn't mean you should stop. this is an IB or initial breakout. this usually only lasts a short while. it took me at least 3 months to see any improvemnent on Retin A but after that it helped a lot.

My breakout started at age 28. Had a VERY SERIOUS breakout for some reason. Tried almost all popular products without any luck. Then, I tried gel containing clindamycin. I am now completely clear, and when I have zits, I just use the same gel to spot treat & they heal in about 3-4 days for new zits.

My breakout started at age 28. Had a VERY SERIOUS breakout for some reason. Tried almost all popular products without any luck. Then, I tried gel containing clindamycin. I am now completely clear, and when I have zits, I just use the same gel to spot treat & they heal in about 3-4 days for new zits.

i was on clindamycin (Cleocin T). it didn't do much for me. what helped me the most (besides accutane) was cephalexin, retin A

first off your skin looks great!your going to think about it more than you would like but its not what eveyone else is looking at.tell your doctor you would like to try tetraclynes,they work great but dont work for more than a year or two.thats enough time to get on a cleaning regime and get it under control.the thing is to keep it under control when you get off of the orals.take a multi-vitamin with plenty of a and b vitamins.sometimes anti-inflammatories such as asprin and advil can help inflammation.avoid masterbation and sex, as stupid as it sounds can actually work.

hope this helps

avoid masterbation and sex, as stupid as it sounds can actually work.

hope this helps

lol that doesn't have any effect on acne at all. it's one of the many myths, which was made up along time ago to keep kiddies from doing dirty things.

and then of course there's another myth that says sex/masturbation improves acne (back in the old days people called them "chastity pimples".) neither are true.