Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ξ®ٱ©

Oatmeal question?

Oatmeal is one of the main sources of carbohydrates in my diet along with brown rice. There are 2 basic types of oatmeal you will find at the grocery store, the traditional oats, and the quick oats. I understand the quick oats are more refined than the regular oats. My question is how much of a difference do you think eating quick oats vs traditional oatmeal would have on your body. My focus is to keep body fat to a minimum through dieting, I'd like to avoid the insulin spike associated with highly refined foods. My choice of oatmeal isn't based on what is better for my acne, but rather how much of a difference quick oats vs. regular oatmeal would have. How much longer do you think traditional oatmeal takes to digest? How much more of an effect would quick oats have on spiking my insulin levels? And is the extra time it takes to cook traditional oatmeal worth the hassle, I can just microwave the quick oats.

Not sure. I would side step both of those options and go with rolled oats (better) or steel cut (even better) Steel cut are way cheaper, have the lowest GI/GL of oats. The only problem would be that you'd have to go to a health food store.

as long as its not the instant name brand with added stuff to it, you're fine.

all i ever see at a grocery store is quick oats which to me is traditional b/c nothing is added to it and you have to cook them.

i do hear steel cut are good as well.

Quick oats are higher glycemic - your blood sugar will rise. Instead of oatmeal, try oat bran instead, it is loaded with fiber and really easy to make in the microwave. It also tastes better, in my opinion. You can top it with some sliced almonds too, for a real health kick ;)

Why are quick oats higher glycemic? I thought that I had read that there was very littel difference between the oats products. some are just pre-steamed longer? :think:

Why are quick oats higher glycemic? I thought that I had read that there was very littel difference between the oats products. some are just pre-steamed longer? :think:

My understanding is that slow cooked oats have more husks on them, so they are higher in fiber because most of the bran has not been removed. They are more like roughage, basically. I used to be on a program similar to the Zone, and Oat bran or slow cooked oats were recommended over the quick-cooking variety. I notice that when I eat oatmeal (slow cooked) I'm always hungry like an hour later. When I switched to plain oat bran I stayed fuller longer.

OH, I was thinking of the difference between quick oats and instant oats I think. Is oat bran just the bran? Would just regular whole oats be better? Of course, I think that they take like an hour to cook.

What do low carb diets have to say about bran?

I think I'll look for the steel cut oats next time I'm at the store. I hate to go to the health food store. Maybe I'll get the traditional oatmeal over the quick oats. You're right about the quick oats not leaving you filled up long too, I noticed that the day.

OH, I was thinking of the difference between quick oats and instant oats I think. Is oat bran just the bran? Would just regular whole oats be better? Of course, I think that they take like an hour to cook.

What do low carb diets have to say about bran?

I think I'll look for the steel cut oats next time I'm at the store. I hate to go to the health food store. Maybe I'll get the traditional oatmeal over the quick oats. You're right about the quick oats not leaving you filled up long too, I noticed that the day.

Yes, oat bran is just the bran. Look for high fiber above all - I have read that the grams of fiber cancel out the grams of carbs in a food item. So, if something has 6 grams of fiber and 12 grams of carbs, it actually only has 6 grams of "net" carbs. Oat bran cooks in just about 3 minutes in the micro. If you add a healthy fat, like stir in some peanut butter, or top your bowl of oatmeal with some chopped nuts (or even mix in a little flax seed or flax seed oil) you will stay fuller much longer.

a lot of regular supermarkets sell the steel cut ones...mine does.

a lot of regular supermarkets sell the steel cut ones...mine does.

So does mine, but it's not with the rest of the oatmeal, it's over on the "health food" aisle with the soy chips and such.

crap i thought instant oatmeal was the same as regular fuzz the oats both look the same. time to switch to instant organic hopefully that's the same as the regular. just bought a bunch of instant on sale :wall:

crap i thought instant oatmeal was the same as regular fuzz the oats both look the same. time to switch to instant organic hopefully that's the same as the regular. just but a bunch of instant on sale :wall:

Eh, it's not gonna hurt you to have quick oats once in a while.

1. Is oat = oatmeal?

2. Can oat reduce body fat?

Oat isn't really oatmeal, there's many different kinds of ways to eat oats. Groats, Irish oats, steel cut oats, traditional oatmeal, quick oats.

It doesn't reduce body fat on its own. Oats are high in fiber, and the less refined ones digest slowly. If you were to replace more simple carbs in your diet with oats I bet you would lose some body fat. But if you just eat a ton of oats you probably won't lose any fat.

1. Is oat = oatmeal?

Oat isn't really oatmeal, there's many different kinds of ways to eat oats. Groats, Irish oats, steel cut oats, traditional oatmeal, quick oats.

It doesn't reduce body fat on its own. Oats are high in fiber, and the less refined ones digest slowly. If you were to replace more simple carbs in your diet with oats I bet you would lose some body fat. But if you just eat a ton of oats you probably won't lose any fat.

Oh Ok.

Is this oat or oatmeal?

oatmeal.jpg

What carbs? from fruits?

and how do you eat oatmeal? I just started taking oat/oatmeal (look like the pic)..and it tasted so yuck with no flavour. I don't wanna add condensed milk or salt or sugar to it! Any suggestion?

1. Is oat = oatmeal?

Oh Ok.

Is this oat or oatmeal?

oatmeal.jpg

What carbs? from fruits?

and how do you eat oatmeal? I just started taking oat/oatmeal (look like the pic)..and it tasted so yuck with no flavour. I don't wanna add condensed milk or salt or sugar to it! Any suggestion?

Looks like quaker oats. Quaker makes many different kinds of oats. They make traditional oatmeal, steel cut oats, and instant oats. You should be fine with traditional oats, but if you want even less refined oats go for steel cut oats.

Well there carbs from many things. Replace your cereal with your oats, or bread with oats. You'd probably lose some fat that way. Try adding some cinnamon to your oatmeal, that'll enhance the flavor.

whole rolled oats cooked in water!!! add raisins, fruits (fresh/dried), cinnamon, ground flax seeds, raw nuts, sesame seeds, raw wild honey and u now have muesli! yum! eating too much doesnt help losing weight though, maintaining, yes. u have to know how much u should take a day. ;)

whole rolled oats cooked in water!!! add raisins, fruits (fresh/dried), cinnamon, ground flax seeds, raw nuts, sesame seeds, raw wild honey and u now have muesli! yum! eating too much doesnt help losing weight though, maintaining, yes. u have to know how much u should take a day. ;)

Wow....a lot of things lol.

I only have 10-15 mins to prepare & take my breakfast!

Umm... I will try the honey (I wanna my oatmeal to be sweet)!

If you were to replace more simple carbs in your diet with oats I bet you would lose some body fat. But if you just eat a ton of oats you probably won't lose any fat.

erpatter, I still don't get this sentense.

You said that "Oatmeal is one of the main sources of carbohydrates in my diet along with brown rice".

And reading that sentense, does oat (carb) reduce body fat?

What benefits can we gain from consuming oatmeal, other than improved digestive system?