Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xXx

products doing more bad than good?

I saw a segment on telli telling us about all the useless chemicals in shampoos that aren’t good for our skin and such. They mainly talked about the chemical "sodium laurel sulphate" in shampoos that makes it foam which also irritates and damages the skin.

Some more information can be found about it here, I recommend reading it.

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/Organics_Features_SLS.htm

I didn’t take much notice about it as i dont wash my hair anyway O:) However I was about to start my routine of cleansing my face with the normal cleanser I use and noticed that it had sodium laurel sulphate as one of its ingredients. If I wanted to prevent my skin from irritation and acnes then this should be the last product to use.

I thought I should let you guys know and was curious if anyone elses cleanser has the same chemical?

How are you going to say something like that and not even mention the cleanser you use?

Go get something recommended.

SLS is very drying. The Ullmann encyclopedia of industrial chemistry even lists it as such. It is the main surfactant in which, if I see it in the list of ingredients, I will not buy that shampoo (I refuse to buy ALS and ALES shampoos as well). SLES is the only sulfate surfactant that I will buy. I refuse to buy shampoo from a company so cheap/lazy that it will use surfactants well known to be drying to hair and skin. As for skin, I wouldn't use SLES either. Stick w/ gentler surfactants like coco-betaine.

Lots of shampoos and facial washes use SLS. ;-(

Yep yep yep. I have seen SLS listed as a comedogenic ingredient on a list at http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/article6.htm#inglist and before i realized what was causing my acne, i'd get so frustrated trying to treat it. I had a rash-type acne, small crusty comedones that leaked clear liquid--it was actually a mild form of chloracne (an acne caused by a chemical agent, some Vietnam veterans developed this after being exposed to Agent Orange).

Here are my recommendations for avoiding SLS: I use Jason Natural Super C Gentle Cleanser, and it's wonderful (for MY skin, anyway). No SLS. Any good health food store will have lots of lines of skin care products that are SLS free (Aubrey Organics, Jason, etc). Shampoos: I prefer Avalon Organics, they have no lauryl/laurel sulfates in them at all, and the Rosemary my personal favorite. They smell great, too.

Toothpaste can have SLS in it, in fact, most of the brands do. I read on these boards posts about zits around the lips, isolated on the chin, well, some of those may be caused by SLS in your toothpaste. Tom's of Maine is one that does not have SLS, i think. I still have to switch--am waiting to use up my current tube.

i might lay of the cleanser for a while and see if my acne has improved... i have been off it for a day allready and allready my skin seams to be less flacky, it might be a coincidence i dont know.

btw the cleanser i was using was "Avon Clearskin Cleansing Gel Wash"

Even your drugstore or supermarket will have many lines of facial wash that do not have SLS in them. Avoid the obviously harsh ones (like Clearasil) and the really cheap ones, and there's a very good chance it won't have SLS. As for shampoo, you'll have to read the labels. Outside of the health food/organic aisles, the majority of shampoos will contain SLS, ALS, or ALES. Various Suave and White Rain don't (but their ingredients do vary from one type to another). Almost all of the mid-range products contain them, and many of the salon products contain the ammonium sulfates.