Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beauty Bot

how to help a 14 y/o girl with acne.....

Should I get involved with the sis's acne?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. helping with info.......

• Yes, tell her everything I know!
    • Yes, but just tell her a few things.
    • No, it's not my biz to help her.
    • No, but tell her to come here to the org!!!
  2. 2. buying her products....

• YES, tell her and buy stuff myself to help.
    • Yes, but only let her know what she can buy.
    • No, stay out of it.

SO.... my bf's little sister (who is almost 15) started getting acne recently, mostly all on her forhead and along her hairline.

I'm assuming it's her make up, hair products and possibly her shampoo/conditioner that is causing it. I found out this weekend she doesn't use foundation but does use a 'tinted bronzer'.

She recently went to a dermatologist, who said nothing, gave her nothing and told her not to put anything on her skin. What a crappy derm.

Do I intervene now and try and help her? Should I tell her about her products and what they might be doing? Christmas is coming, do I get her some mineral make up and hope she uses it after I show her how? If I get her skin products for gifts, would that be good or bad?

I made my first poll! :clap:

I think you run the risk of making her feel terrible if you try to help her directly. You need to let her come to you. Ask your BF to tell her to talk to you if he ever hears her complaining about it, but don't bring it up to her. I can't think of any tactful way to do that.

Skin products, no, i think that might be pretty upsetting. Imagine how you'd feel if somone stuck a tube of Clearasil in your Christmas stocking, ya know? The mineral makeup as a present is a good idea though, if you can present it as girly makeup bonding instead of skin fixing.

I think you run the risk of making her feel terrible if you try to help her directly. You need to let her come to you. Ask your BF to tell her to talk to you if he ever hears her complaining about it, but don't bring it up to her. I can't think of any tactful way to do that.

agreed, it would probly make your bf happy that you care for his sister so i think its a nice thought

she sort of already came to me about it.... complaining that her forehead looks awful and she doesn't know how to make it stop..... but that she was going to a derm so he could help her, but didn't afterall.

she doesn't have anyone to talk to about this kind of stuff, since she is in foster care (who don't give a crap) and the other times she with the grandmother who for me, told me not to eat chocolate, wash my face with just water and my acne should go away....... when my acne cleared from accutane, she took credit for it and asked if I did what she said to clear my face, lol. :rolleyes:

I'm positive it's her hair/body/make up that is causing her acne..... the amount of crap that 14 year old girl puts on her face is amazing.... her and her friends load on the make up and probably don't wash it off.

I didn't know how to put on eyeliner until I was 22!!!! And I was forced to for sport competitions.... these teenages are fricking experts. so strange.

I think I will try the mineral make up idea with her, let her pick out the colours, etc (fun?) and get her a nice brush. As for face products I would just get her a nice make up remover or toner.

*sigh*

kids these days. ;)

SO.... my bf's little sister (who is almost 15) started getting acne recently, mostly all on her forhead and along her hairline.

I'm assuming it's her make up, hair products and possibly her shampoo/conditioner that is causing it. I found out this weekend she doesn't use foundation but does use a 'tinted bronzer'.

She recently went to a dermatologist, who said nothing, gave her nothing and told her not to put anything on her skin. What a crappy derm.

Do I intervene now and try and help her? Should I tell her about her products and what they might be doing? Christmas is coming, do I get her some mineral make up and hope she uses it after I show her how? If I get her skin products for gifts, would that be good or bad?

I made my first poll! :clap:

yes you should tell her. she is obviously concerned if she went to a derm. just tell her your situation, she will understand that you are trying to help.

she sort of already came to me about it.... complaining that her forehead looks awful and she doesn't know how to make it stop..... but that she was going to a derm so he could help her, but didn't afterall.

Well in that case i think you could gently ask her if she wants some tips from you.

And makeup remover to go along with the makeup (and some friendly advice to always remove it before bed) is a good idea. Since she has already come to you about it, a cleanser and moisturizer probably would be nice too.

I would explain to her your skin issues, and let her ask questions from there. You can then explain to her the benefits of good skin care and good makeup. You could even offer to go shopping with her and show her what products would be better for her skin. It may turn into a cool girl-bonding thing for you both (since it kind of sounds like she could use a friend with a positive influence).

I totally understand where you're coming from--my friend's daughters are 12 and 15, and I've had to think of some creative ways to talk to them (about skincare, diet, boys, etc.). Once you build a bond, it's a really fun friendship.

Well I don't know about her, but if someone had tried to help me by buying me stuff or showing me good stuff to get I wouild have been so happy. I might not even have as bad acne as I do now!