Notifications
Clear all

Acne in the 30s and onward

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 11/20/2006 11:53 am

The DKR has gotten me clear, and I am so thankful for it. Really, I should say that I am ecstatically and enthusiastically thankful for it. And now that I'm in my thirties and am getting older, I'm wanting to start thinking about improving the other aspects of my skin. I use sunscreen every day to avoid premature aging, but skin ages anyway, and I want to do what I can to keep my skin looking as young as I can.

I know that retinols have good anti-aging properties, but they typically are de-activated (simplistically speaking) with BP. I definitely don't want to stop with BP and have my acne come back so I did some research. I found out that Diacneal isn't de-activated by BP. Diacneal is a retinol-based anti-acne product that also has the nice side-effect of smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles and improving skin texture, like retinols do.

I had used Diacneal on its own before, but it wasn't enough to keep my acne at bay. The DKR is definitely what works for me with my acne. So now I'm embarking on an experiment, modifying this one part of the regimen to see if I can keep the amazing benefits of the DKR while adding another benefit. We'll see. My new regimen is the DKR + Diacneal. I still cleanse with the DKR cleanser. I still put a few drops of jojoba on my freshly cleansed skin. I still apply the DKR BP twice a day in the same amount. But with the BP at night, I add a thin finger of Diacneal. Then I moisturize with Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer. I used to use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion at night, but I figured that it would probably be too irritating to use with the Diacneal.

I am not recommending that anyone follow this regimen, but I thought that some others in my boat (in their thirties, and onward, and still battling acne) might be interested in the thread. I'll let you know how this works for me.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 11/20/2006 1:05 pm

hey, good luck!

I have been doing something similar for the same reasons. I've incorporated Green Cream level 6 at night, otherwise keeping the regimen the same. I'm hoping to keep the acne and aging process under control! lol.

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 11/21/2006 10:39 am

Well, it's been a couple of days, and my skin isn't reacting badly to the new product. I've read about the initial breakout that retinoids can produce so I am braced for it. But since the DKR has cleared my skin, I wasn't sure what could be lurking underneath.

Well, I got my answer. A few months ago, I got a spot on my jawline that was kind of like an ingrown hair. It had left a tiny lump that I had forgotten about until yesterday when it became slightly inflamed. But everything else is all good. The BP and Diacneal are playing well together. I know not to expect any of Diacneals benefits for at least a month so right now I'm just charting whether the DKR and Diacneal can play well together for we who are 30+.

So far, so good.

Cam >B)

hey, good luck!

I have been doing something similar for the same reasons. I've incorporated Green Cream level 6 at night, otherwise keeping the regimen the same. I'm hoping to keep the acne and aging process under control! lol.

MemberMember
(@libbycopeland)

Posted : 11/24/2006 12:46 pm

Glad you all are doing this. I also will be trying to add an anti-aging products after a couple more months of the Regimen. (what ever its called now, DKR).

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 11/27/2006 12:42 pm

It's been a week, and there are no more Diacneal-related spots, it seems. And my skin is tolerating the combination well, with no irritation at all.

Overall, my skin looks a little, well, plumper. So far so good.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/04/2006 10:21 am

Well, at least the initial retinoid break-out is covered by hair. But I haven't had spots like these in quite a while. One of them had a weird histamine reaction around it or something because the skin around the spot puffed up and itched like I had been punched in the face. Or as a friend said, "It looks like you're sucking on a Scotch mint." It was probably two inches in diameter. Thankfully that swelling went down within 24 hours. But I still have five (!) painful nodules, all in my beard on the right side of my face. Isn't my forehead supposed to be my problem area? Anyway, since these spots all came out around the same time, I'm looking forward to them being totally dealt with within a week.

On the other hand, I'm starting to see the smoother-skin benefits on the rest of my face. My skin practically glows, and the fine lines on my forehead are smoothing out a bit.

Pressing on.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@tikvica)

Posted : 12/04/2006 5:03 pm

hi, cam > b)

i'm also using bp and diacneal

i just don't use them at the same time

i apply bp in the morning and diacneal at night

is your skin feeling thinner now that u've started using diacneal?

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/04/2006 5:07 pm

Zucchini,

No, I haven't noticed that my skin feels thinner. It actually feels plumper. I'd even say juicier, if I were talking about a ripe peach. I've only been using Diacneal for a couple of weeks, though, so maybe that might happen later.

I haven't noticed any sensitivity or adaptation to using the Diacneal, other than the darned initial break-out.

Cam >B)

hi, cam > b)

i'm also using bp and diacneal

i just don't use them at the same time

i apply bp in the morning and diacneal at night

is your skin feeling thinner now that u've started using diacneal?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 12/04/2006 5:08 pm

ooooooooooooh, juicy plump skin! ;)

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/05/2006 10:48 am

Well, I haven't had any new spots since the initial break-out. I'm actually really happy with how the DKR is playing with the Diacneal. I'm able to keep the inflammatory acne under control while improving the overall texture of my skin.

I was thinking that I would get spots on my forehead from the Diacneal initial break-out, but there is nothing there (so far) so I think I'm safe there.

The nodules (!) under my beard (one on my right chin and four along my right jawline) are slowly shrinking, and I'm thinking that they should be gone within a week or so. I can really see the skin turnover in that area in particular. The layers of skin over the spots are peeling. But only those areas are peeling, and I'm experiencing no dryness at all.

Again, I can't say enough how thankful I am for this site. I just wish that it had been available when I was a teenager. I've since pointed my niece here, though. She was lucky enough to inherit the family "curse" as well. Thanks, dad. ;)

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/06/2006 12:10 pm

The spots are shrinking rapidly, and I'd almost say that two of them are no longer "active". But my spots have been odd since starting the Diacneal so I'll hold off on "de-activating" them.

My skin feels so soft that I just want to keep touching it. I'm nearly 32, and I was starting to see lines around my eyes and on my forehead. They are a little smoother after the first couple of weeks. It's hard work, keeping up with a younger boyfriend.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@tikvica)

Posted : 12/07/2006 10:14 am

Zucchini,

how do you know?

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/07/2006 1:43 pm

I asked the Almighty Google.

Zucchini,

how do you know?

MemberMember
(@tikvica)

Posted : 12/08/2006 6:08 am

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/08/2006 10:19 am

More slow progress. None of the spots are coming to a head, but as the layers of skin come off, the spots get smaller. It's unfortunate how big a couple of them were or else they might be gone already. At least they're no longer painful.

I still haven't gotten any other spots, other than those five from the initial breakout. That's darn good news. And my skin is smoother and more radiant by the day. Pressing on.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@onyxraven)

Posted : 12/11/2006 12:51 am

wait a second, don't the bp and retinol product cancel each other out??

i know green cream and bp can't be worn together, which is what i've been using...

if diacneal can be used with bp, i'm in.

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/11/2006 10:20 am

You're right: most retinols are canceled out by BP (not vice versa). Diacneal is an exception. I'm not sure why. Here's a study.

Cam >B)

wait a second, don't the bp and retinol product cancel each other out??

i know green cream and bp can't be worn together, which is what i've been using...

if diacneal can be used with bp, i'm in.

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/11/2006 1:15 pm

The Diacneal spots I've gotten have been weird. They haven't really come to a head, but I can see some gunk below the surface. So I, ahem, deal with them, but it took forever for them to get to that state. And the ones that haven't had any gunk are still a bit hard, but luckily I have plump skin so they're not that noticeable. Unfortunately, these have left some pretty red-looking marks, which isn't very common for me. I'm not against some judicious use of well-blended concealer to disguise those spots.

I had one small spot on my forehead, but that was gone within a day. So I guess that I technically have no active spots, but the spots I had have made their lasting presence known. But with the accelerated skin cycle of the Diacneal, I expect my skin to be smooth and flawless again soon. My boyfriend said that my face felt like a baby's butt. Except for the scruff, that is.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 12/11/2006 1:34 pm

my face felt like a baby's butt. Except for the scruff, that is.

Cam >B)

😆 This comment gave me a chuckle! yea, I never saw a scruffy baby's butt! lol. 😆

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/13/2006 10:32 am

Still going well. No new spots. No adverse reactions. I'm noticing each night that the skin on the old lumpy spots is peeling off. I guess that's the accelerated skin cycle doing its bit.

Cam >B)

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/13/2006 9:30 pm

The Diacneal would be more effective if you didn't have BP on your skin at the same time.

BP releases oxygen into your pores (this is what kills P.acnes) .... but when you use it with Diacneal, the oxygen is neutralizing some of the retinaldehyde, preventing it from being converted into retinoic acid in your skin.

Here's a quote from the article you linked to:

I would advise trying Diacneal by itself at night, and continuing with the BP in the AM. But if you are perfectly happy with your results, I suppose there's no need to change.

MemberMember
(@julius-c)

Posted : 12/14/2006 12:59 am

CONCLUSION: These data show that a combination of RAL 0.1% and glycolic acid 6% may be used in association with other topical anti-acne treatments (benzoyl peroxide and topical antibiotics) with an excellent tolerance.

Where can i purchase 6 percent GA?

I find 4 percent is to mild, and 10 percent is too strong

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/14/2006 10:17 am

Thanks, LionQueen. (And wow, I can't believe THE LionQueen replied to one of my posts!)

I must have been totally misunderstanding that report. And shame on my dermatologist for saying that it was a good idea to mix those (and sulfur, he said, too). I must be getting at least some of the retinol getting through (I was pretty generous with the Diacneal) because I definitely had an initial break-out in an place that is not even in a trouble area for me. And most of the benefit I'm getting must be from the glycolic acid in the Diacneal.

I'm going to take your advice and use the BP in the morning and the Diacneal at night, starting today. That has me a bit scared, though, because the BP controlled my inflammatory break-outs quite well. But historically, I've had some pretty good skin results from a once-a-day regimen. So here goes!

One quick question, then. If I'm using the Diacneal on its own, how much should I be using? I guess I've been using one squiggly finger's worth for my whole face.

Thanks again.

Cam >B)

The Diacneal would be more effective if you didn't have BP on your skin at the same time.

BP releases oxygen into your pores (this is what kills P.acnes) .... but when you use it with Diacneal, the oxygen is neutralizing some of the retinaldehyde, preventing it from being converted into retinoic acid in your skin.

Here's a quote from the article you linked to:

I would advise trying Diacneal by itself at night, and continuing with the BP in the AM. But if you are perfectly happy with your results, I suppose there's no need to change.

MemberMember
(@malcolm-cringe)

Posted : 12/14/2006 10:23 am

I'm getting my GA from the Diacneal I'm using. You can get it at a drug store, if you're in Canada. You could get it online otherwise, I imagine.

Cam >B)

CONCLUSION: These data show that a combination of RAL 0.1% and glycolic acid 6% may be used in association with other topical anti-acne treatments (benzoyl peroxide and topical antibiotics) with an excellent tolerance.

Where can i purchase 6 percent GA?

I find 4 percent is to mild, and 10 percent is too strong

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/14/2006 12:37 pm

One quick question, then. If I'm using the Diacneal on its own, how much should I be using? I guess I've been using one squiggly finger's worth for my whole face.

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it does sound like quite a lot! The directions probably say to use a "pea-sized" amount. Start with that, and if it isn't enough to cover your whole face, add another pea. 🙂