Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My insurance won't pay for the bloodwork/pregnancy tests needed for Accutane. I've got a few questions:

1. How much does a blood test cost w/o insurance (on average)?

2. Do you need a separate test to test for pregnancy (i.e. urine test)? If so, how much does THAT cost?

3. Can't they just combine the preg and blood test into one? I mean, doesn't the blood tell if you're pregnant or not just as well as the urine (if not better)? Or do you have to take both tests so they can be SURE you are not pregnant with a negative result from both?

Thanks guys!

You will have the preg. test in the form of a blood test. No urine. It will and all the others tests will be collected at once each month at your lab. Just one needle stick. My monthly labs are $300. (I only pay $4.12 out of pocket for them)

They can run both tests off bloodwork. How much it costs depends on the lab, but it can be pretty pricey, in the $150-300 range.

Why won't your insurance company cover the tests? Sometimes your doctor can change their minds by writing a letter informing them that the tests are medically necessary.

$300 for your blood tests??!! Jeez that's a lot... mine cost 27 euros, and that's not under insurance. Can't believe they're that expensive :shock:

Welcome to America's health care system.

Well, my situation is a little complicated. I have an insurance through the State of Oregon, basically it's free health insurance because I'm a poor college student with no other insurance and I am eligible for it. The only hangup with it is that it is pretty fussy. Lots of stuff isn't covered, I guess so that they can "offer more general healthcare to more people." They do this with limited funds by excluding lots of more specific issues and prescription medications, opting for the most necessary things. They deem acne to be a "Cosmetic" issue, therefore they will not cover it because it is "not medically necessary." So...I get no coverage at all for ANY doctors visits, labs, or prescriptions related to it. It sucks. But I think I may have found a way to get Accutane for free through a Patient Assistance Program, so now all I'm trying to get covered is the labwork...I DO have limited insurance through my college which I have no choice but to pay for (only $21/term) and I'm thinking that maybe it will cover 80% of the labwork. Not positive though, I have to talk to the Student Health Center. That's why I am asking, so I know how much money I'm going to be dealing with if it's not covered. What labs would be the cheapest to get labwork done at? Not a hospital, right?

I just paid $38 for a lipid and liver panel at my college's health center...but I'm sure that's way below what you'd pay at a lab or doctors office. Then again, my insurance doesn't cover anything down here (damn HMOs...).

Wow, $38 is very reasonable!!! My college has a student health center, I wonder if they have a lab? I'll have to call. Thanks everyone for the help!

Wow, $38 is very reasonable!!! My college has a student health center, I wonder if they have a lab? I'll have to call. Thanks everyone for the help!

Two other possible sources: "low income" clinics. These usually have sliding scales depending on income. Second source: in many cities there are "health fairs". as part of these events, there is often blood screening done and among some other tests, they almost always include liver and blood lipids - exactly the info you need to follow accutane. Talk about ths to your prescribing physician and work out a plan to gt the info he/she needs. You are under no obligation to get the blood work done by that physician (in deed, many physcians do not even do blood work, they send you somewhere else). You just need a plan to get the doc the information she needs.

Go in the phone book and call around.

Hmm...I called my student health center and they told me that with my basic student insurance, and if I get the bloodwork done there, the total cost to me will be around $30.00 each month! I was pretty excited. However, if this somehow falls through, I will definitely use the backup advice that you all have given me. Thank you!