Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dcpsoguy

How much is too much moisturizer?

Hi,

I wash my face using a bar that meets the description of a good cleanser for this regimen. I use the 2.5 Benzoyl peroxide gel from this site as the medication for my face and Cetaphil moizuring lotion (8 oz) to moisturize my face. I apply the medication once at night, using an index fingers worth.

I have been using this regimen for about 1-2 years now. While I have had some great great improvements from when i first started, I still have red pimples (I guess this is the right name) show up and occasionally whiteheads. There will be periods of about a week where I have no pimples at all (neither the red ones or the whiteheads) when I use follow the regimen exactly. But then for some odd reason my face starts to get dry and these whiteheads and red pimples show up once again. It really is a tireless cycle, and it is quite annoying. I put on the same amount of moisturizer almost every day....2 index fingers worth. My face is smooth one day and then I follow the same exact procedure the next day and I have whiteheads and red pimples over select areas of my face (my chin and above my lips, mostly).

My question is

1) Do you think putting a ton of moisterizer on my face each night before I go to bed will help this out? Or is there a limit to how much moisturizer you should put on?

2) Is putting a lot of moisturizer on my face going to help to slowly get rid of my red marks? I have no scars to speak of (thank god), but my red marks are quite annoying from past acne.

3) If moisturizer won't work to get rid of the redmarks, will tea tree oil work? I just bought some of that.

I apologize if this is a long and lengthy post.

AND BTW, thank you Dan Kern for this regimen. My face is miles above what it was when I first started, but I'd like to finally get rid of pimples and red marks for good. Repeating this regimen over and over again for the last two years only delays the problem (to an extent), but it isn't stopping it.

Thank you.

Hi,

You would probably get more clearing if you used the Regimen twice a day, instead of only at night.

As for how much moisturizer, well, you want to use as much as you need for your skin to feel and look normal. For some people, this is alot, for others only a little is needed.

If you want to help those redmarks resolve a bit quicker, you can consider switching your moisturizer to Lac-Hydrin Five or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion. Both of these have alpha hydroxy acid in them that will help exfoliate the skin. LH5 is milder than NHSFL, btw.

Hi,

You would probably get more clearing if you used the Regimen twice a day, instead of only at night.

As for how much moisturizer, well, you want to use as much as you need for your skin to feel and look normal. For some people, this is alot, for others only a little is needed.

If you want to help those redmarks resolve a bit quicker, you can consider switching your moisturizer to Lac-Hydrin Five or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion. Both of these have alpha hydroxy acid in them that will help exfoliate the skin. LH5 is milder than NHSFL, btw.

I actually used to use the Regimen twice a day.... about a year ago. It cleared most of my bad acne, but it never put me over the hump, so to speak. Using the regimen once a day is actually the same as using the regimen twice a day for me. The only difference is that using the regimen twice a day really dried out my skin.

Also,

Is Cetaphil® Daily Facial Cleanser For Normal to Oily Skin any good? Do you reccomend this for DK's regimen?

thats the exact product I use... I havent been on CSR for as long as you.... but its also helped my skin alot from the horrible state it was in.

I find the cleanser your talking about is the most moisterizing