Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foxygoddess

Correct Accutane Dosage

Alright, I'm thinking of asking my derm about an Accutane course. My acne is mild/moderate and inflamed, and has been super persistent through years of antibiotics. I am around 110 lbs...roughly 50 kg, right? I want to start out with a low dose for my body weight because I am afraid of the IB and the dry skin/lips. I want to ease the side effects as much as possible. What would be a low daily dose for me, and what is the highest dosage I should go? Thanks.

I'm only on 10mg/day --which is considered an ultra-low dose in the US--and I weigh almost 70kg. It's doing the trick

Well, of course your derm should be the one to decide on your dosage. But traditionally a dosage of 0.5mg/kg has been the starting dose to ease you in, raising to a dose of 1mg/kg after a month or so. Although variations on this are common. Assuming standard dosing, your starting dose would be 20mg a day, moving up to 50mg a day. In practice 50mg a day is a tough dosage to do though, since 30mg pills are hard to find. Depending on your severity and response to the med, your derm might keep you a little lower at 40mg a day, or a little higher at 50mg a day, or might prescribe an alternating 40/60 dose to get you an average dose of 50.

The recommended cumulative dose is 120-125mg/kg (although many derms are unaware of the cumulative dosing since it's a rather new finding). You'd reach the proper cumulative dose with 2 months at 20mg/day and 4 months at 40mg/day.

I'm only on 10mg/day --which is considered an ultra-low dose in the US--and I weigh almost 70kg. It's doing the trick

finally i see someone whos taking 10mg too! is it really working?? i weight around 80kgs.. how come they put u on such low dose?